What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Interim coach thread

Who becomes interim HC?

• Sanford

Votes: 15 14.4%
  • Wilson

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Patterson

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Barnett

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Hagan

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • Random Colorado High School coach

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • McGeoghan

Votes: 61 58.7%

• Total voters

skibum

Thou shalt not groom Mary Jane
Club Member
Assuming an in-season firing, who takes over?

I was thinking about this, and realized that we not only have a HC that is in over their head, there's really no one that I could trust to step up.

When coupled with the ****ty contract, this lack of any reasonable replacement might be the nail in the coffin as to KD actually getting fired during the season.

I Love how half the options in the poll are horrific and only stupid enough for CU to do even though we are in a thread assuming the best case scenario for this season given what's happened so far.
We really have sunk this low. The dreadful contract that RG or whoever did has really left us in a terrible spot.

Couldn’t they demote or move him to another role and then fire him January 1?
I know not everyone reads every thread, but for the 1000th time, there is no significance in the 1/1/23 date with respect to Karl Dorrell's contract buyout. His contract is fully guaranteed, meaning he will get every last penny of it whether he is fired today, 1/1/23, or 1/1/24. The hope is that they will negotiate a reduced buyout number in return for paying him a small lump sum, rather than a larger annuity over the course of the last two years of his deal.

I know not everyone reads every thread, but for the 1000th time, there is no significance in the 1/1/23 date with respect to Karl Dorrell's contract buyout. His contract is fully guaranteed, meaning he will get every last penny of it whether he is fired today, 1/1/23, or 1/1/24. The hope is that they will negotiate a reduced buyout number in return for paying him a small lump sum, rather than a larger annuity over the course of the last two years of his deal.
Reality Reaction GIF by Married At First Sight

I finally get it. It must be frustrating having to keep saying that. Lol. Thanks for being patient.

Would you rather save $3-4 million and let him finish the season? Or, would you prefer to pay him the entire amount and the team still lose 10+ games?

If I could be guaranteed that he’d accept a $3-4MM reduction to the overall contact sum in exchange for being allowed to finish out the season, I’d do that. I am not convinced that is the case, though. You could always announce that he will be relieved of his duties at the conclusion of the season and begin the process for replacing him now.

Would you rather save $3-4 million and let him finish the season? Or, would you prefer to pay him the entire amount and the team still lose 10+ games?
I guess I don't know why he would have to finish the season in order for it to be negotiated down, but if this is the scenario, I would obviously rather save the money, assuming they are going to pass the savings onto the finding a good coach, providing competitive AC salary pool, and committing to building the recruiting infrastructure. This would also need to be an 11/27/22 termination date, not 1/1/23

Karl is a narcissist and smug. No way he takes less $$$..

Getting fired would be great for him financially...full salary plus go be WR coach for a couple of years to pad his earnings..then retire in Boulder..

HCMM made an extra 3M above his guaranteed payout..after his firing..

If I could be guaranteed that he’d accept a $3-4MM reduction to the overall contact sum in exchange for being allowed to finish out the season, I’d do that. I am not convinced that is the case, though. You could always announce that he will be relieved of his duties at the conclusion of the season and begin the process for replacing him now.
You cannot announce that he’ll be let go at the end of the season and let him coach the year out. This is basic management rules

I guess I don't know why he would have to finish the season in order for it to be negotiated down, but if this is the scenario, I would obviously rather save the money, assuming they are going to pass the savings onto the finding a good coach, providing competitive AC salary pool, and committing to building the recruiting infrastructure.
Because Karl Dorrell will feel like a martyr if they fire him within the season. I can hear it now. “I took over from a bad situation, navigated Covid, have a very young team, and not even a full year with my staff.” It will be an acrimonious divorce and he will want all of his money. If they wait, they can give him an assessment that should appease him enough to get a reduced rate.

This season is already kaput. Properly handling Karl Dorrell’s psyche is the key to saving the program a boat load of money.

Because Karl Dorrell will feel like a martyr if they fire him within the season. I can hear it now. “I took over from a bad situation, navigated Covid, have a very young team, and not even a full year with my staff.” It will be an acrimonious divorce and he will want all of his money. If they wait, they can give him an assessment that should appease him enough to get a reduced rate.

This season is already kaput. Properly handling Karl Dorrell’s psyche is the key to saving the program a boat load of money.
If that's the actual read on the situation from inside the AD, then I agree.

If that's the actual read on the situation from inside the AD, then I agree.
I don’t have much direct insight into the AD after I stopped giving them money. However, I’ve been involved with these types of situations in working with clients who are managing highly compensated employees on contract that they wish to fire. If money were no object, I’d say that Colorado should terminate everyone, including the AD, already. But, money is very much a concern and unfortunately massaging this person’s ego will be a huge component in saving the program money.

The significance is that CU would be paying ANOTHER HC salary and that is not cheap. Firing Stoneface is not going to happen tomorrow. When we get embarrassed this Saturday, then it becomes more likely.

The significance is that CU would be paying ANOTHER HC salary and that is not cheap. Firing Stoneface is not going to happen tomorrow. When we get embarrassed this Saturday, then it becomes more likely.
They will be paying another HC salary whether KD is fired no or 1/1. It doesn't matter when they fire him other than if they're able to negotiate a lower buyout by waiting until the end of the season as manhattan has mentioned.

They will be paying another HC salary whether KD is fired no or 1/1. It doesn't matter when they fire him other than if they're able to negotiate a lower buyout by waiting until the end of the season as manhattan has mentioned.
I am just sayin... as each game passes by, the salary paid to the new head coach is less. Everything else is a constant (K) in this scenario for Stonefaces salary.

I am just sayin... as each game passes by, the salary paid to the new head coach is less. Everything else is a constant (K) in this scenario for Stonefaces salary.
But they aren't going to fire KD today and hire a new HC tomorrow, nor does the interim HC get an automatic bump in pay. The salary for KD and his staff is set in stone through the end of the year no matter what.

The most likely timeline is KD gets fired on 11/27/22 (day after Utah bludgeoning) and a new coach is hired by end of December or beginning of January at the latest.

KD still gets the same amount of money and HC's salary clock starts in December/January.

Having a very young team will always be an available excuse when you lose so many players to the transfer portal.
Sad Fight Club GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Back