What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jason Candle - HC Toledo

The Alabaster Yak

Club Member
Club Member
A name that new guy on 247 brought up as an interesting candidate, not necessarily for CU, but at the P5 level in general. Supposedly Mario Cristobal tried to hire him away to be his OC in Miami. He's also apparently a lights out recruiter and Toledo has finished as the top recruiting MAC program in every season as a HC there except two; his first season where they finished 2nd and last year where they finished 5th I think.

Toledo is currently averaging 36 pts/game, which is on par with their average over the course of his tenure as HC there.

Obvious drawback is his lack of P5 experience in any capacity.

1665415342605.png

1665414847544.png

1665414818178.png

I think I was interested in him a little before we hired Tucker and have lost track of him since then. He seems to have tapered a little bit but still really young. 8 years is a long time to be at a MAC school for someone who aspires to bigger jobs.

Candle is that guy who has been a top G5 name for long enough that he went from "hot candidate" to "forgotten candidate".

Frankly, his performance his 1st 3 years was exceptional but he's been on the positive shade of mediocre since then with his own recruits.

I don't question that he's a good coach with some innovative concepts, but I think he needs a big year + killing the interview.

Toledo is consistently the most talented team in the MAC by a fair margin and he's only won the league once. His seat is starting to get warm

His Toledo bio sells the hell out of him. I don't think I've ever seen such a comprehensive write-up on a team site.

Other stuff I just was reading was about him considering leaving for Miami to be OC. He makes $1.2M as HC, which is pretty much topped out as the highest paid HC in the MAC. Miami was talking of going to $2M to get him.

He said no, but there's a new Toledo AD and Candle's contract only goes through 2023.

He's 5-2 this year with a game vs Buffalo coming up which might decide the division. A Toledo win, and we're looking at a conference title and 10+ wins. That would make him the hot young G5 HC again.

Favored by 7.5 at Buffalo, so odds are in his favor in what I see as a tipping point game for his status as a candidate. There's a good chance he's on my short list by Saturday afternoon.

Last edited:
29-22 (20-13 in MAC) over last 5 seasons. Are we impressed by that from a guy who has been on the job there 8 years? Can someone who has never coached outside the state of Ohio much less for a P5 program rebuild CU? I’m not sure what there is really to be excited about here.

29-22 (20-13 in MAC) over last 5 seasons. Are we impressed by that from a guy who has been on the job there 8 years? Can someone who has never coached outside the state of Ohio much less for a P5 program rebuild CU? I’m not sure what there is really to be excited about here.
Looks like you are quite dim on him.
Is it because he’s been burning out the past few years?

on one hand is offense wax’s other teams. But then he allows victory to drip right thru his fingers

Looks like you are quite dim on him.
Is it because he’s been burning out the past few years?

on one hand is offense wax’s other teams. But then he allows victory to drip right thru his fingers
I’m dim on him because his record is just ok and has tapered off in a big way the last 5 years after a hot start. And he’s never been part of a P5 staff even as a GA. Toledo is the biggest program he’s ever been around.

He’s not in CU’s league to poach as an expensive OC and I would be very skeptical that being a 7-5, 8-4 type coach at Toledo means he can turn around a program like CU.

I’m dim on him because his record is just ok and has tapered off in a big way the last 5 years after a hot start. And he’s never been part of a P5 staff even as a GA. Toledo is the biggest program he’s ever been around.

He’s not in CU’s league to poach as an expensive OC and I would be very skeptical that being a 7-5, 8-4 type coach at Toledo means he can turn around a program like CU.
I fully agree. You missed like 4 of my puns though.

Back