What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jerdough and other stuff

Obviously this guy is full of sheep dip, if he’s talking about natty’s and praising Dorrell in the same breath.

If there is some big time NIL collective that comes out of this, there is no time like the present. Especially when realignment is spinning like an out of control merry going round.

Dude is a clown. I really doubt he is even worth that much.

CU’s biggest donor has like a couple mil L O L

Dude is a clown. I really doubt he is even worth that much.

CU’s biggest donor has like a couple mil L O L
I remember years back some CU donor was loaded, billionaire type. I don't remember his name. Wtf happened to him, is he dead?

I got so sick of his "We are going to win another National Championship " tweets and the constant "give us a few more weeks till the big announcement " that I posted a Troll meme and now he has blocked me from seeing what he posts.
Think this confirms what we have known.
I saw that lol.

The 18-19 kids BS after the game pissed me off. They're now paid, so I don't really want to hear about how they're doing it for free. If we want to talk about how this administration isn't supporting them, we can have that conversation and do on here all the time. He isn't though-in fact I've never seen him criticize the university since the flood of stupid optimistic tweets started showing up in my timeline. He also insinuated the fans aren't supporting the program. This fanbase nearly filled Folsom. UCLA drew 27k. Was the Coliseum even half full Saturday for wonder boy Riley's first game at USC? Called him out on that, and he didn't respond. Of course.

Jerdough's a ****ing fraud.

Last edited:
I remember years back some CU donor was loaded, billionaire type. I don't remember his name. Wtf happened to him, is he dead?
If you go back to when we were actually good we had a number of well off supporters who made it possible to make the moves needed to be competitive.

One of these was Jack Vickers, the owner of Vickers Petroleum and who built Castle Pines Golf Club and who was the driving force behind The International on the PGA tour. Interestingly enough Vickers was born in Colorado but was not a CU grad having gone to (and not graduating from) Oklahoma.

A low point was when he facilitated CU hiring Chuck Fairbanks but when it became obvious it was a mistake he ponied up the check to send him on his way.

There are people out there with the means and the willingness to change the trajectory of the CU program. Colorado does not lack for wealthy individuals and families, many who have ties to the university.

What it does lack is a reason for those people to be motivated to be involved in the university.

The medical center campus was one of the biggest fund raising efforts by a university in the nation over the past decade. By almost all standards it is an unqualified success.

Are there more wealthy potential donors in Alabama, Oklahoma, Kansas, Iowa, etc. than Colorado? I doubt it. The problem is that here those people put their money elsewhere and I would argue that is because the University lacks vision and fails to inspire these people with an expectation of results.

One common thread among those who become or stay very wealthy is a focus on success, on results. What about CU Boulder, athletically or otherwise currently screams anything more than mediocre. If someone is going to write a seven figure check what are they going to see as a result? What can they brag to their wealthy friends about contributing to over a drink in the lounge.

I don't know this jerdough character from someone on the street but he isn't wrong in saying that the capacity to change CU football exist. Where he fails is that the university itself doesn't give potential donors a reason to make the move.

If you go back to when we were actually good we had a number of well off supporters who made it possible to make the moves needed to be competitive.

One of these was Jack Vickers, the owner of Vickers Petroleum and who built Castle Pines Golf Club and who was the driving force behind The International on the PGA tour. Interestingly enough Vickers was born in Colorado but was not a CU grad having gone to (and not graduating from) Oklahoma.

A low point was when he facilitated CU hiring Chuck Fairbanks but when it became obvious it was a mistake he ponied up the check to send him on his way.

There are people out there with the means and the willingness to change the trajectory of the CU program. Colorado does not lack for wealthy individuals and families, many who have ties to the university.

What it does lack is a reason for those people to be motivated to be involved in the university.

The medical center campus was one of the biggest fund raising efforts by a university in the nation over the past decade. By almost all standards it is an unqualified success.

Are there more wealthy potential donors in Alabama, Oklahoma, Kansas, Iowa, etc. than Colorado? I doubt it. The problem is that here those people put their money elsewhere and I would argue that is because the University lacks vision and fails to inspire these people with an expectation of results.

One common thread among those who become or stay very wealthy is a focus on success, on results. What about CU Boulder, athletically or otherwise currently screams anything more than mediocre. If someone is going to write a seven figure check what are they going to see as a result? What can they brag to their wealthy friends about contributing to over a drink in the lounge.

I don't know this jerdough character from someone on the street but he isn't wrong in saying that the capacity to change CU football exist. Where he fails is that the university itself doesn't give potential donors a reason to make the move.
This is a pretty good post, and I agree with the crux of your argument. My problem with jerdough is he's spent all summer trying to convince this fanbase that he's going to be the one to do that. His twitter timeline is a broken record: "CU will win another national championship", #believeinthebuffs, "announcement coming soon". I've seen it pop up in my own feed for 5-6 months now. Time for him to put his money where his mouth is-and until he does I'll keep making fun of him.

Here's the problem with the history-Rick George, Lance Carl, and the rest of Buffs4Life think the next McCartney exists. That's the problem with the reliance on the history. They thought they had that guy in Tucker, and when he left after a year, they decided to hire a guy in Dorrell who had been here during the glory years. There's nothing wrong with pointing to that and saying you can win here, but you've got to be able to do it right. Stop thinking about national championships and start thinking about what its going to take to get back to bowl games 8 years out of 10. I'd look at Pat Fitzgerald first. He's been at Northwestern forever, but there are CU connections with him. Maybe he feels like he's taken Northwestern as far as he can and would be open to hearing about a new opportunity. Tom Herman's another guy I'd at least reach out to. Knows how to recruit and build a program. Smart guy (Mensa member IIRC). Very forward thinking (go back and listen to some of the things he said on race relations while he was at Texas). Not sure he wants to coach again, but another guy I'd make tell me no. Dan Mullen might be more realistic. Watched him in studio during Florida State-LSU, and he looked a lot like Chip Kelly did when he sat out a year. There are a number of interesting Group of 5 names. Blake Anderson from Utah State would be able to recruit at a power 5 level. Took that program from 1-5 in 2020 to 11-3 and the MWC title last year. That's eye-opening. Ricky Rahne's been brought up a lot here. He's really intriguing. Sean Lewis is another one. I'm sure there are more.

This is a pretty good post, and I agree with the crux of your argument. My problem with jerdough is he's spent all summer trying to convince this fanbase that he's going to be the one to do that. His twitter timeline is a broken record: "CU will win another national championship", #believeinthebuffs, "announcement coming soon". I've seen it pop up in my own feed for 5-6 months now. Time for him to put his money where his mouth is-and until he does I'll keep making fun of him.

Here's the problem with the history-Rick George, Lance Carl, and the rest of Buffs4Life think the next McCartney exists. That's the problem with the reliance on the history. They thought they had that guy in Tucker, and when he left after a year, they decided to hire a guy in Dorrell who had been here during the glory years. There's nothing wrong with pointing to that and saying you can win here, but you've got to be able to do it right. Stop thinking about national championships and start thinking about what its going to take to get back to bowl games 8 years out of 10. I'd look at Pat Fitzgerald first. He's been at Northwestern forever, but there are CU connections with him. Maybe he feels like he's taken Northwestern as far as he can and would be open to hearing about a new opportunity. Tom Herman's another guy I'd at least reach out to. Knows how to recruit and build a program. Smart guy (Mensa member IIRC). Very forward thinking (go back and listen to some of the things he said on race relations while he was at Texas). Not sure he wants to coach again, but another guy I'd make tell me no. Dan Mullen might be more realistic. Watched him in studio during Florida State-LSU, and he looked a lot like Chip Kelly did when he sat out a year. There are a number of interesting Group of 5 names. Blake Anderson from Utah State would be able to recruit at a power 5 level. Took that program from 1-5 in 2020 to 11-3 and the MWC title last year. That's eye-opening. Ricky Rahne's been brought up a lot here. He's really intriguing. Sean Lewis is another one. I'm sure there are more.
Crux whore

Absolutely,

Three realities right now.

1. The elites of college football are further ahead of Colorado than they have ever been. We aren't "the right coach" away from being competitive, we are an entire program away from being competitive. Those glory days are gone, ancient history in the timeline of college athletics. Anyone who doesn't believe that just needs to go back this weekend and see what Georgia did to Oregon, a team that is far ahead of us in our conference, see what Florida, a middling team in the SEC did to the best team in our conference.

2. We have to build a program. We need the right coach but we also need the school to get off it's high horse and admit the athletes we need either out of HS or as transfers. We need not only a coach but a competitive salary pool to attract and retain top assistants and give them the tools needed to recruit. We need to catch up with the schools we want to compete with by hiring and paying quality "consultants" who do the talent/recruiting evaluations, who watch every game and every practice, and who make our coaching staff as effective as it can be.

3. 1 and 2 take money, a lot of money. We have to effectively reach out to the people who can and will support a winning program and show them in plan and action that our days as a 4-8 team are gone. That the school, not just lip service, is serious about winning and that their contributions will result in product on the field, not just another KD hire and RG blowing smoke at a luncheon with Dr. Phil or his successor sliding around in the background.

Dealing with these realities isn't going to be easy. We are much closer to being Kansas right now than we are to being Oklahoma but the first thing it is going to take is a real change of attitude in the administration in Boulder that says what we have been isn't what we will be, it won't be acceptable.

Absolutely,

1. The elites of college football are further ahead of Colorado than they have ever been. We aren't "the right coach" away from being competitive, we are an entire program away from being competitive. Those glory days are gone, ancient history in the timeline of college athletics. Anyone who doesn't believe that just needs to go back this weekend and see what Georgia did to Oregon, a team that is far ahead of us in our conference, see what Florida, a middling team in the SEC did to the best team in our conference.

2. We have to build a program. We need the right coach but we also need the school to get off it's high horse and admit the athletes we need either out of HS or as transfers. We need not only a coach but a competitive salary pool to attract and retain top assistants and give them the tools needed to recruit. We need to catch up with the schools we want to compete with by hiring and paying quality "consultants" who do the talent/recruiting evaluations, who watch every game and every practice, and who make our coaching staff as effective as it can be.

3. 1 and 2 take money, a lot of money. We have to effectively reach out to the people who can and will support a winning program and show them in plan and action that our days as a 4-8 team are gone. That the school, not just lip service, is serious about winning and that their contributions will result in product on the field, not just another KD hire and RG blowing smoke at a luncheon with Dr. Phil or his successor sliding around in the background.

Dealing with these realities isn't going to be easy. We are much closer to being Kansas right now than we are to being Oklahoma but the first thing it is going to take is a real change of attitude in the administration in Boulder that says what we have been isn't what we will be, it won't be acceptable.
Fully agree with every aspect of this.I can hear donors and administration numbers people though, "Look at all the (donated) money spent on the Champions Center and nothing changed, why do they think they will do anything different with more $$ support?"

Fully agree with every aspect of this.I can hear the administration numbers people though, "Look at all the (donated) money spent on the Champions Center and nothing changed, why do they think they will do anything different with university support?"
And moreso the attitude may be "Why are we asking them to donate this money to athletics when we can be asking them to donate it to (insert pet academic or pet project here) instead."

What they don't understand despite plenty of evidence to the contrary is that the donations to athletics don't take money away from other areas because these donors aren't going to look at it that way.

In fact the evidence shows that schools that turn donations into athletic success tend to see increases in donations to non-athletic funds as well. The donors like to feel good about the school they are donating to. They feel stronger connections when the athletics program is successful.

And moreso the attitude may be "Why are we asking them to donate this money to athletics when we can be asking them to donate it to (insert pet academic or pet project here) instead."

What they don't understand despite plenty of evidence to the contrary is that the donations to athletics don't take money away from other areas because these donors aren't going to look at it that way.

In fact the evidence shows that schools that turn donations into athletic success tend to see increases in donations to non-athletic funds as well. The donors like to feel good about the school they are donating to. They feel stronger connections when the athletics program is successful.
This relationship between athletic sucess and donations has been proven time and time again.
There is no other way to look at this situation than to admit that our administration simply does not want donor money, period.

Not to quibble, but Chuck Fairbanks wasnt fired, he quit to take the New Jersey Generals job in the summer of 1982.

Absolutely,

Good points-but I think we're having two different conversations to some extent. We need to focus as a program on doing what it takes to get back to bowl games. That shouldn't be as hard as this institution has made it since 2005 considering every team who goes 6-6 or better get to play in one of those, but we've only pulled that off three times over the last 20 years. Since he's been here, Rick George has wanted to skip straight to competing for conference and national titles. That gave us Mel Tucker, and when he left after a year.......RG found a guy he thought he could sell to this fanbase because Dorrell had a record that was better by leaps and bounds at UCLA than anybody we've had going back to Barnett. He also figured he could sell Dorrell to the Buffs4Life crowd because Dorrell had been here as an assistant during the glory years.

This program needs an athletic director who will ensure that Buffs4Life stops meddling in CU football coaching searches. That group's fingerprints are all over 3 of the last 4 CU head coach hires, and let's talk about how they've turned out. Embree might be the worst coach I've ever seen. George hired Mel Tucker because he thought he had the next McCartney. That class of his isn't that good, and the one year he was here looked a lot like Mike MacIntyre's last two. Brendon Lewis might not play QB for Eddie Mac in Greeley. Jason Harris has one tackle since he enrolled at Arizona. Ashaad Clayton (whose only other power 5 offer came from Kansas IIRC-if that's not a red flag I don't know what is) and Jared Mangham are in the Group of 5. Did Brenden Rice touch the ball for USC last week? I know Dimitri Stanley had one touch in an Iowa State win over ****ing Southeast Missouri. The two TEs in that group have barely played since they've been here. Who, other than Christian Gonzalez, did that staff actually hit on? Then there's the current mess.

Last edited:
Not to quibble, but Chuck Fairbanks wasnt fired, he quit to take the New Jersey Generals job in the summer of 1982.
Technically you are correct but he knew he was on his way out. Somehow he ended up leaving with CU money which Vickers and friends ended up covering.

Good points-but I think we're having two different conversations to some extent. We need to focus as a program on doing what it takes to get back to bowl games. That shouldn't be as hard as this institution has made it since 2005 considering every team who goes 6-6 or better get to play in one of those, but we've only pulled that off three times over the last 20 years. Since he's been here, Rick George has wanted to skip straight to competing for conference and national titles. That gave us Mel Tucker, and when he left after a year.......RG found a guy he thought he could sell to this fanbase because Dorrell had a record that was better by leaps and bounds at UCLA than anybody we've had going back to Barnett. He also figured he could sell Dorrell to the Buffs4Life crowd because Dorrell had been here as an assistant during the glory years.
This program needs an athletic director who will ensure that Buffs4Life stops meddling in CU football coaching searches. That group's fingerprints are all over 3 of the last 4 CU head coach hires, and let's talk about how they've turned out. Embree might be the worst coach I've ever seen. George hired Mel Tucker because he thought he had the next McCartney. That class of his isn't that good, and the one year he was here looked a lot like Mike MacIntyre's last two. Brendon Lewis might not play QB for Eddie Mac in Greeley. Jason Harris has one tackle since he enrolled at Arizona. Ashaad Clayton (whose only other power 5 offer came from Kansas IIRC-if that's not a red flag I don't know what is) and Jared Mangham are in the Group of 5. Did Brenden Rice touch the ball for USC last week? I know Dimitri Stanley had one touch in an Iowa State win over ****ing Southeast Missouri. The two TEs in that group have barely played since they've been here. Who, other than Christian Gonzalez, did that staff actually hit on? Then there's the current mess.
To make it worthwhile the target has to be competing for conference championships.

That isn't in conflict with what you are saying. You need to crawl then walk before you run. Putting the program in position to start going to bowls, even lesser bowls would be a significant step towards the ultimate goals.

The program also needs to work on the same things to reach those intermediate levels, the same steps I listed.

To make it worthwhile the target has to be competing for conference championships.

That isn't in conflict with what you are saying. You need to crawl then walk before you run. Putting the program in position to start going to bowls, even lesser bowls would be a significant step towards the ultimate goals.

The program also needs to work on the same things to reach those intermediate levels, the same steps I listed.
No doubt, but I think this thing has to crawl first. We need to compete in this conference first in football.

Last edited:
No doubt, but I think this thing has to crawl first. Start with stringing consecutive bowl appearances together.
To even do that some systemic issues need to be addressed. It isn't as if just hiring a new coaching staff is going to get us there.

Technically you are correct but he knew he was on his way out. Somehow he ended up leaving with CU money which Vickers and friends ended up covering.
Fairbanks was certainly on thin ice by 1982, but his leaving when he did was considered a surprise, and he received no money from us after leaving. I think you may be thinking of Jack Vickers (and friends) covering the money we paid the Patriots to get them to drop their lawsuit and allow Fairbanks to become our coach. If Im not mistaken, Vickers had cooled on supporting the program by then anyway.

Fairbanks was certainly on thin ice by 1982, but his leaving when he did was considered a surprise, and he received no money from us after leaving. I think you may be thinking of Jack Vickers (and friends) covering the money we paid the Patriots to get them to drop their lawsuit and allow Fairbanks to become our coach. If Im not mistaken, Vickers had cooled on supporting the program by then anyway.
Vickers was one of a group of money guys who were strong financial supporters of the program, and also put up a lot of non-athletic money as well.

He certainly took a lower profile after the Fairbanks fiasco.

He and some of the others weren't happy with hiring McCartney. They wanted a higher profile guy and despite the dump that Fairbanks left they expected better results early on. At this time as well Vickers was turning much more of his attention to Castle Pines and his dream of having a PGA tour event there.

Absolutely,

WHO is the actual person or entity responsible for holding back our football team?

Fully agree with every aspect of this.I can hear donors and administration numbers people though, "Look at all the (donated) money spent on the Champions Center and nothing changed, why do they think they will do anything different with more $$ support?"
It’s a reasonable question.

Absolutely,

WHO is the actual person or entity responsible for holding back our football team?

Ashad Clayton - yes, other than these school, Kansas was his only other offer.
1662458579906.png
…and etc

Ashad Clayton - yes, other than these school, Kansas was his only other offer.
View attachment 53939
…and etc
It’s always hard to tell who offered but then cooled off on a kid and withdrew. There’s a reason he came here instead of going to the SEC, and there’s a reason he’s Tulane’s 3rd string RB

It’s always hard to tell who offered but then cooled off on a kid and withdrew. There’s a reason he came here instead of going to the SEC, and there’s a reason he’s Tulane’s 3rd string RB
It was down to CU and Florida, iirc and Florida kind of backed off or told him he was a second priority to another recruit. Of course, that was mostly due to an injury he sustained in HS, I believe. He had the talent, but the big programs moved on.

Back