What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Lookalike & Game thread - RV (AP poll)/ #23 (NET rankings) Men's bball hosts #4 (AP)/ #11 (NET) Oregon (Boulder, Thursday, 1/02, 7:00 PM MT, ESPN2)

Let me respond this way-Did you watch the Iona game Sunday? I did. I thought the officiating was pretty good, but they also let a lot go in the second half. That's what I'm talking about. Normal in a blowout or a game that looks like its heading that way.

I'm not being critical. Just truly wonder how, as a player, one is supposed to deal with that. Evan Battey, for instance. You play one way for a half, then all of the sudden you're getting called for stuff you weren't before? That's gotta be frustrating and a serious challenge.

I know it's been mentioned, but I don't think enough love is being given to Kin on his defensive performance. Pritchard still got 21 (somehow), but it took 18 shots. Pritchard can have his 21 points if he has to jack up a bunch of shots to do it.

I know it's been mentioned, but I don't think enough love is being given to Kin on his defensive performance. Pritchard still got 21 (somehow), but it took 18 shots. Pritchard can have his 21 points if he has to jack up a bunch of shots to do it.
Pritchard hit some bombs at the end. He does a great job of getting into the lane. If he runs into an officiating crew that doesn't allow him to push off with his off hand while driving, he'll be in trouble.

Anyway, the defensive scheme seemed to be that they didn't collapse and leave their guy if Pritchard got penetration. Didn't allow UO to get rolling with him distributing, which is where they get so dangerous and energized. Buffs stayed on shooters and prevented interior passing. Beautiful game plan.

McKinley has become like Nate was his senior year with his on-ball defense. Teams will not be able to get into their offenses against us if that continues. Also want to give a shout out to Schwartz. I didn't think Schwartz would be a good defensive player when I watched him as a freshman, but he has become nails at guarding opposing wings.

. . . and a merely OK day for your wife.
What a total ass: not 1 word of praise for Tad or the team. 'They lost due to O rebounding and TOs'. No mention of our D at all.

Agreed that was asshat talk
What is he talking about Finishing?
That implies you are leading or in control or favored? They were dominated and it was the Buffs defense that set every tone

I'm not being critical. Just truly wonder how, as a player, one is supposed to deal with that. Evan Battey, for instance. You play one way for a half, then all of the sudden you're getting called for stuff you weren't before? That's gotta be frustrating and a serious challenge.

Two things-One, officials adjust at halftime just like teams do. Did an LL game at Columbine about a month ago, and they've got a kid in their program who is built like EB is.....but he's not anywhere near skilled enough to play after HS right now. Long story short-One of the varsity referees caught a bit of my game and told me he thought there were 3-4 fouls my partner and I let this kid get away with. Evan's a tough kid to referee because of how he's built. Too often in sports, officials have a mindset that's basically "Somebody fell, so there had to be a foul of some sort" on that play. I'd have to go back and look-I don't get to watch as many of our games as I'd like because I'm working 10-15 games a week of my own, but its not that far fetched for me to think Evan gets the short end of a fair amount of charge calls or picks up loose ball fouls because most officials don't have the guts to tell a coach "Hey, your kid flopped/initiated contact/was out of control there".

BTW - I talked about my experience with the Oregon superfan last night.

We had a moment when we were up 10, Oregon got a dunk, and superfan was up and yelling. A CU fan behind us yelled, "Yeah! 4 more of those and we'll be tied!"

If this was any of you, I salute you.

Putting Pritchard aside, their other 4 starters had a total of 4 points in the 1st half. Dominance.

Why isn't the women's game on sling? That is a pretty useless network. EDIT: it's on the Oregon channel.

Last edited:
Two things-One, officials adjust at halftime just like teams do. Did an LL game at Columbine about a month ago, and they've got a kid in their program who is built like EB is.....but he's not anywhere near skilled enough to play after HS right now. Long story short-One of the varsity referees caught a bit of my game and told me he thought there were 3-4 fouls my partner and I let this kid get away with. Evan's a tough kid to referee because of how he's built. Too often in sports, officials have a mindset that's basically "Somebody fell, so there had to be a foul of some sort" on that play. I'd have to go back and look-I don't get to watch as many of our games as I'd like because I'm working 10-15 games a week of my own, but its not that far fetched for me to think Evan gets the short end of a fair amount of charge calls or picks up loose ball fouls because most officials don't have the guts to tell a coach "Hey, your kid flopped/initiated contact/was out of control there".
Best example I ever saw with that was Shaq. He'd get slapped and pushed every time he posted up. Problem was, he was so big that it didn't move him or cause him to get off his spot even though the stuff going on would have looked like a mugging against just about any other player in the league. Then he'd end up getting a foul called on him just for turning his hips, bumping someone and sending them flying. He probably had the least benefit from "star treatment" from any guy I've ever seen in the NBA. It was much worse in college where I believe that officiating style (allowing weak charge calls and whatnot) is the only reason LSU didn't have much more success with him there.

Battey is in that same lane with how he's officiated. I also think that refs are sometimes surprised at how quick he is and don't give him the benefit of the doubt -- assuming he wasn't able to get to a spot he actually made it to when you watch it on replay.

How come nobody is talking about Big Gravy's picks? He nearly knocked that duck the **** out . . .
Altman subbed him right after he knocked himself into la la land running into Battey. I had a great view of it from where I was sitting as he came to the bench. Dude had a smile on his face and was just shaking his head as if to say "lesson learned, I won't be trying to run through Battey again." Coaches and players just gave him pats and sympathetic looks as he walked past.

Stop talking about just the conference. I've been saying this group needs a body of work that would put them in the 3-6 seed range on Selection Sunday. Games like Oregon, Washington, and Stanford (who the NET loves) are huge. No letdowns though. If we're seeded 3-6 or even higher, theres no reason this team can't make it to Atlanta.

Said this in a tweet to Rothstein-He talked about Dayton as a final four possibility. Could happen-they're a damn good team. Time to include us in that same convo given we beat them on a neutral floor.

Its only January 3rd so baby steps. Lets beat OSU first. I'll let myself believe a 3-6 seed is possible once the Buffs clinch at least a 4th seed in Vegas. They'll probably need 12 conference wins to get there.

Late to chime in. Of course it was a great game to experience. Crowd was big and loud. Constant noise when ducks were on O.
I took two extras to the game and they couldn't even sit near me. That's a huge change. I like it though.

Low turnovers. Very impressive. Been waiting for this. Especially impressive against ducks constant zone.
Intensity of defense - great
Offensive flow. Players moved, screens, ball movement, scores.
(A few times shot clock got down and McKinley had to juke and drive, but I guess that's how it goes)

I actually love it that Duck fan is calling Tad classless. You know you’re getting under the skin of an opposing fan base when they start that kind of thing. I’d rather be hated than ignored or pitied.

Late to chime in. Of course it was a great game to experience. Crowd was big and loud. Constant noise when ducks were on O.
I took two extras to the game and they couldn't even sit near me. That's a huge change. I like it though.

Low turnovers. Very impressive. Been waiting for this. Especially impressive against ducks constant zone.
Intensity of defense - great
Offensive flow. Players moved, screens, ball movement, scores.
(A few times shot clock got down and McKinley had to juke and drive, but I guess that's how it goes)
A few times with the late shot clock and I think we got burnt twice (once with a make waived off and once with a jacked 3, iirc), but sometimes you've got to credit the opponent. Oregon also plays damn good defense and their length & athleticism is very challenging.

Its only January 3rd so baby steps. Lets beat OSU first. I'll let myself believe a 3-6 seed is possible once the Buffs clinch at least a 4th seed in Vegas. They'll probably need 12 conference wins to get there.
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Scotch being all mature and trying to be the voice of reason... but we all know damn well he has already checked our KenPom odds for every remaining game to confirm his belief that we'll go about 14-4 in conference play.

Back