What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Lovering Goose's Ass (from Diop recruit thread)

Goose

Hoops Moderator
Club Member
Junta Member
Lawson is probably the smartest player on the team. He was calling out Tenn’s plays in the second half and directing guys. Right now his biggest weakness is aggressiveness and strength. You don’t think Tad can fix THAT?

The people only watching CU basketball on TV miss most of Lovering's work on the defensive end. He's so quick on switches and sliding back to his man when the situation calls for it. His help defense in the paint is significantly improved from last season. He may already be the best defensive true big Tad has had and he's only going to get better.

Very happy about the signing of Assane Diop and of course Cody Williams joining the herd. It is still early in the season but I must be missing something, because I don't see any great improvement (like some posters) in Lawson Lovering and I never miss a game on television. He still is very robotic in his movement, is not aggressive offensively and doesn't look confident at all. He made a couple of plays against Tennessee, which was great to see, but so far he isn't a center who will be able to match up against the best big men in the Pac 12. Not even close. He does seem to make some decent passes but the Buffs are going to need a lot more out of him this season. That's part of the reason I am mystified about why anyone would think Williams and even Drop , would not be big factors next season. They are both athletic front court guys and that has been in short supply in Colorado for a while. Unless I see some dramatic improvement this season, Lovering will not be standing in the way of these guys being key cogs on a great team in 2023.

Preach! Not being able to dunk a ball on a loose ball or rebound while standing under the basket is stunning for a 7 footer. I love the kid, but he will be Mason Plumlee to Joker for the Buffs.

Ice cold takes. Lovering's not only a rim protector, he guards his man away from the basket when necessary, and does it well. He also does exactly what Tad asks him to do against ball screens. Though his rebounding numbers aren't fantastic, he boxes out like he's supposed to. Is he tentative on offense? Yes, but he's played fewer than 20 games in his life against guys as big as him. He's obviously doing his Mikan drills--he finished with his left hand against Tennessee. He's only going to get better on offense.

After Grambling, Tad said there were only two players who deserved to play the next game--Lovering and Gabbidon.

I'm 6'5" and 230 lbs. Lovering was going against people smaller than me in high school. It's going to take time for him to find his full package but man... there's zero reason to think that he won't be a stud for us.

For God's sake, when I am high on a big man, that says a LOT*.

* - someday I will get my all PG lineup dream...

No one wants pics of my ugly ass.

Sure about that?

chris farley GIF

Very happy about the signing of Assane Diop and of course Cody Williams joining the herd. It is still early in the season but I must be missing something, because I don't see any great improvement (like some posters) in Lawson Lovering and I never miss a game on television. He still is very robotic in his movement, is not aggressive offensively and doesn't look confident at all. He made a couple of plays against Tennessee, which was great to see, but so far he isn't a center who will be able to match up against the best big men in the Pac 12. Not even close. He does seem to make some decent passes but the Buffs are going to need a lot more out of him this season. That's part of the reason I am mystified about why anyone would think Williams and even Drop , would not be big factors next season. They are both athletic front court guys and that has been in short supply in Colorado for a while. Unless I see some dramatic improvement this season, Lovering will not be standing in the way of these guys being key cogs on a great team in 2023.
You lost me with this. Lovering moves amazingly well for a 7 footer. And this season all they need him to be is a 6ppg, 4rpg, 2apg, 1spg, 1bpg guy who can negate the opponent's big and protect the rim on defense and help the keep the flow and open up opportunities for teammates on offense...which he basically is doing already. And also consider he's still just a true Freshman for half this season as well.

Last edited:
You lost me with this. Lovering moves amazingly well for a 7 footer. And this season all they need him to be is a 6ppg, 4rpg, 2apg, 1spg, 1bpg guy who can negate the opponent's big and protect the rim on defense and help the keep the flow and open up opportunities for teammates on offense...which he basically is doing already. And also consider he's still just a true Freshman for half this season as well.
He may move up and down the court well, but his movement trying to score the basketball is stilted, to say the least. Maybe it is the lack of quickness. I want him to be great (I love the Buffs) but I just don't see it happening. He just seems to want to get rid of the ball as quickly as he can when it is in his hands and doesn't know how to free himself up to even get to the basket. I realize it is early but his field goal percentage this season is 18 percent, according to ESPN. He's averaging 2.7 points a game, less than half of what you think he needs to do. He is averaging almost 4 rebounds, so I guess that is the bright spot. I certainly don't see him negating anybody's "quality" big man. The stats back me up at this point, but I would be happy to see him make a big jump this season. So we will have to agree to disagree and maybe revisit this at the end of the season. Remember, he didn't have a lot of quality competition in High School in Cheyenne Wyoming and has a long way to go in terms of getting stronger. He gets pushed around a lot right now, especially for a 7 footer.

He may move up and down the court well, but his movement trying to score the basketball is stilted, to say the least. Maybe it is the lack of quickness. I want him to be great (I love the Buffs) but I just don't see it happening. He just seems to want to get rid of the ball as quickly as he can when it is in his hands and doesn't know how to free himself up to even get to the basket. I realize it is early but his field goal percentage this season is 18 percent, according to ESPN. He's averaging 2.7 points a game, less than half of what you think he needs to do. He is averaging almost 4 rebounds, so I guess that is the bright spot. I certainly don't see him negating anybody's "quality" big man. The stats back me up at this point, but I would be happy to see him make a big jump this season. So we will have to agree to disagree and maybe revisit this at the end of the season. Remember, he didn't have a lot of quality competition in High School in Cheyenne Wyoming and has a long way to go in terms of getting stronger. He gets pushed around a lot right now, especially for a 7 footer.
Forgot one important stat to back up the fact that he is still not ready to be a factor at this level. He's averaging 2.7 turnovers a game, he was just below 1 a game last season.

He has literally no touch around the rim, other than that it seems like everything else about his game is much improved.

Just something to keep in mind about Lovering, and indirectly a compliment to Diop as well.

A few seasons back (not remember which one and not going to look it up) Tad had a very talented team that ended up being his most frustrating season because the personalities of the players didn't work with Tad or each other.

Since then Tad has recruited for talent but he has decided that character matters a lot. Lovering is as raw a talent as there is but he is a talent and he has the make up that Tad wants, someone who will bust his tail, who will do what it takes to be a better basketball player and a good teammate.

The flaws in Lovering's game are the kinds of things that they can work around until he develops those areas.

Lawson still struggles to put the ball in the basket. I don't think we'll ever see him being a 15ppg scorer. Saying he is hopeless because of that is ignoring every other thing that goes in to putting together a successful basketball team. He is making a ton of progress on being a defensive anchor, he of course isn't all the way there yet.

Lawson still struggles to put the ball in the basket. I don't think we'll ever see him being a 15ppg scorer. Saying he is hopeless because of that is ignoring every other thing that goes in to putting together a successful basketball team. He is making a ton of progress on being a defensive anchor, he of course isn't all the way there yet.
This. By his SR year he will be a 9.0ppg, 4rpg, 2apg, 1bpg guy that everyone loves because he gave it everything while he was here.

He has gone from being abused on defense to being a plus defender in just one year (and missing half of last year). Or at least he looked like a plus defender against Tennessee. I admit that after the few games he played last year I couldn't see him progressing into a useful player. I was wrong and cast judgement way too soon. He can pass the ball the too.

This. By his SR year he will be a 9.0ppg, 4rpg, 2apg, 1bpg guy that everyone loves because he gave it everything while he was here.
He may never be a dominant offensive player but don't write off the idea of him becoming an effective offensive option.

You can't teach size and you can't teach combining some athleticism with that size. He looks clumsy at times because he has a lot of long moving parts but he is more athletic than people give him credit for. He can develop offensive tools and he can develop his rebounding skills.

15 and 8 as a senior would not be a shock.

He has literally no touch around the rim, other than that it seems like everything else about his game is much improved.
Yep. His lateral movement on defense is eye popping with a guy his height. Offensively, he needs to get a bit stronger which will help his hands. I think his shot will come since he's got good form & touch at the FT line. More than anything, I think he gets sped up (youth/ inexperience). And I'd love to see one reliable interior move - nobody gonna block him stepping right with a baby hook, for example.

Anyway, I'm seeing the progression and loving the potential.

He may never be a dominant offensive player but don't write off the idea of him becoming an effective offensive option.

You can't teach size and you can't teach combining some athleticism with that size. He looks clumsy at times because he has a lot of long moving parts but he is more athletic than people give him credit for. He can develop offensive tools and he can develop his rebounding skills.

15 and 8 as a senior would not be a shock.
I agree, but people should understand him being a 9/5/2 guy for this program would be fabulous considering the pieces likely around him while he's here.

His spin move hook in the 2nd half at Tennessee was PERFECT and a great glimpse of what he can become.

Agree that most 7-footers are going to look awkward. Just look at Zach Edey - dude looks like a goof at times. He's also what I think Lovering can become in a couple of years. Here's Edey's numbers from the last 2 seasons ... see any similarities ???

College[edit]​

YearTeamGPGSMPGFG%3P%FT%RPGAPGSPGBPGPPG
2020–21Purdue28214.7.597.7144.4.4.11.18.7
2021–22Purdue373319.0.648.6497.71.2.21.214.4
Career653517.1.632.6726.30.8.21.211.9

Tad said this about LL, in October. How is he different from anyone in the program?

"He's a unique player and somebody who's different from anyone in our program," Boyle said. " He's much improved, much more confident, big and strong.".

I agree. I specifically watched the way he moved up and down the court on Saturday. He doesn't lumber. He's not smooth yet either, but I feel like he still hasn't grown into his body.

His spin move hook in the 2nd half at Tennessee was PERFECT and a great glimpse of what he can become.

Agree that most 7-footers are going to look awkward. Just look at Zach Edey - dude looks like a goof at times. He's also what I think Lovering can become in a couple of years. Here's Edey's numbers from the last 2 seasons ... see any similarities ???

College[edit]​

YearTeamGPGSMPGFG%3P%FT%RPGAPGSPGBPGPPG
2020–21Purdue28214.7.597.7144.4.4.11.18.7
2021–22Purdue373319.0.648.6497.71.2.21.214.4
Career653517.1.632.6726.30.8.21.211.9
Edey is like 7'4" isn't he? And like 280 lbs.

Edey is like 7'4" isn't he? And like 280 lbs.
Something like that, he's huge. Point being it takes time for bigs to develop ... unless you un-earth a gem like Anthony Davis or Joel Embiid (the only 2 off-the-shelf big man I can think of off the top of my head that made immediate impacts as freshmen, who also happen to be generational talents and future HOFers)

Back