What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mark Wetmore OUT

Thirty years in any career is a great run. He’s 71 years old and had been a university employee long enough so that his pension is fully funded. He will be fine, financially. Hate to see him go under circumstances that are not to his choosing, though. I think he earned the right to leave on his terms.

Thirty years in any career is a great run. He’s 71 years old and had been a university employee long enough so that his pension is fully funded. He will be fine, financially. Hate to see him go under circumstances that are not to his choosing, though. I think he earned the right to leave on his terms.
Even if that means a lame duck decade?

Wetmore should have been allowed to retire.

I believe all assistants associated with the distance events are also gone. Rick George better bring in the best coach.

this is a tough one. I have so much respect for Wetmore being a legend in the sport. I've also been directly impacted and seen a lot of eating and body image disorders be created from college track/xc coaches...that **** sticks with you long after you stop running

times are changing, science on the topic of fueling and body weight has progressed, a coaching change is the right call

not sure Mike Smith has any reason to leave Flagstaff. arguably a better place to train than Boulder and he has a lot of pros under his tutelage down there
Don't disagree, but Bob Bowman just left ASU for Texas and is dragging a bunch of professional swimmers to Austin with him. Boulder isn't exactly a terrible place to train, and has a long history of excellence. I could see us offering a bag of money to see if a change could be made.

Don't disagree, but Bob Bowman just left ASU for Texas and is dragging a bunch of professional swimmers to Austin with him. Boulder isn't exactly a terrible place to train, and has a long history of excellence. I could see us offering a bag of money to see if a change could be made.
For the pros, who don't exactly make a ton of money, there's a material difference in the cost of living between Flagstaff and Boulder (arguably the difference is less between Phoenix and Austin). For runners somewhere in the progression from NCAA to US National Team but not full fledge pro, the training center in Colorado Springs might provide a more budget friendly living option, but it's not exactly next door to Boulder.

Bottom line is that Wetmore is going to be hard to replace with someone that can/will achieve the same level of success.

For the pros, who don't exactly make a ton of money, there's a material difference in the cost of living between Flagstaff and Boulder (arguably the difference is less between Phoenix and Austin). For runners somewhere in the progression from NCAA to US National Team but not full fledge pro, the training center in Colorado Springs might provide a more budget friendly living option, but it's not exactly next door to Boulder.

Bottom line is that Wetmore is going to be hard to replace with someone that can/will achieve the same level of success.
Agreed. Plus we aren’t offering “a bag of money” for anything besides FB or possibly MBB.

My 21 y.o. daughter has had 'mild' eating concerns and I recognize the problem.

But, in terms of the stress on the athletes, I don't see a huge difference from the weight training and diets football players deal with. They have body fat measurements too. Coaches conceptualize ideals, and try to get the players to fit them. (300+ lb offensive linemen are a little different story)

I think this will be an easy replacement.

As for the thoughts that he should have been allowed to retire, he was given that option a few times. Dude is 71. He had the choice.

RG will have no problem here. I know nothing about running btw but spent 5 years in Flagstaff and close friends with the parents of an Olympian. Tons of interest in this jewel of a job apparently.

As for the thoughts that he should have been allowed to retire, he was given that option a few times. Dude is 71. He had the choice.

RG will have no problem here. I know nothing about running btw but spent 5 years in Flagstaff and close friends with the parents of an Olympian. Tons of interest in this jewel of a job apparently.

My guess is it offers a bounty of private gigs coaching professionals.

From watching distance runners, the successful runners have the same body type. If a person wants to be a runner, it would appear that body type is step 1. I've yet to see a big muscular distance runner. Same with a gymnast. They are muscular because of training but eating disorders are rampant among gymnasts as well as sexual abuse by coaches.

I had an eating disorder when I was a teenager and was not an athlete. There also was not much treatment then. I returned to school weighing 64 pounds and being put on valium and a soft diet. Neither did a thing to help with the eating disorder.

I have a cousin who has a severe eating disorder. It is going to kill her. She is now in her mid 30's. She is skin over bone. She has no extra body fat on her body. She looks in the face like she is 90. Her lack of nutrition has caused her to be legally blind. She was married and has a daughter. Her husband mistakenly thought that love could cure her eating disorder. It couldn't and they are lucky to have had a healthy baby. However, her daughter mimics her mom's eating behaviors and has been in therapy since she was 2 years old in trying to prevent her from developing her mom's eating habits.

The judge told the ex when they got divorced that if he wanted full custody, he could have it because of my cousin's eating disorder and the psychological evaluations of the mother and daughter. He believes to this day that she would not be alive if she did not have shared custody of her daughter.

My 21 y.o. daughter has had 'mild' eating concerns and I recognize the problem.

But, in terms of the stress on the athletes, I don't see a huge difference from the weight training and diets football players deal with. They have body fat measurements too. Coaches conceptualize ideals, and try to get the players to fit them. (300+ lb offensive linemen are a little different story)

it seems like you might only have surface level info or experience here. most "ideals" when it comes to body comp for football players still fall within a very healthy range, ignoring lineman as you mentioned

not trying to overstep, but "mild" concerns when it comes to any kind of disorder or addiction can easily turn into serious concerns, especially when you are correlating it to athletic performance. if you want to put a face to this endemic check out Allie Ostrander on youtube or instagram

totally agree. Wetmore pioneered a high mileage culture that many other programs have adopted...but CU is a blue blood when it comes to running, I don't expect us to miss a beat

In case anyone missed this, Niwot's Elise Cranny who I have known her entire life, ran a spectacular race here to qualify for Paris the other day. She was 2nd by 2/100ths of a second but very exciting finish.

Cranny recently moved back to Boulder, spent a few months with Team Boss, but is now coached by Jarred Cornfield (NAU assistant).

Val C who won the steeplechase last night is coached by Wetmore and Burroghs. I think he will coach pro athletes. When this all happened, I thought about the coach from NC State that has done well with the women's cross country program in the past several years. We shall see pretty fast as they have to get going for next year. tbh I hope the Malones stay as their athletes have done well and Scottie Vines from Debuque Co is in the olympic trials as a high jumper and would be a freshman at CU next year. I don't want to see talent like that leave due to a coaching change.

The part of the track and field program coached by the Malones needs the Malones. Jada Green's mother said she couldn't have entrusted her daughter to a better coaching experience.

The part of the track and field program coached by the Malones needs the Malones. Jada Green's mother said she couldn't have entrusted her daughter to a better coaching experience.
yeah, you look at he olympic trials and it was all jumpers and thowers. Scotty Vines has a chance as an incoming high jumper to be special. I would not want him to leave because the Malones are not kept. One thing I was thinking was that maybe a non distance coach is the head and hire a distance coach as an assistant

Lindsay Malone works her tail off with the kids and videos and gets them in the public eye. Casey doesn't do that but he did video her coaching Jada at the Olympic tryouts.

They have produced some of the best field athletes in the last several years.

Lindsay Malone works her tail off with the kids and videos and gets them in the public eye. Casey doesn't do that but he did video her coaching Jada at the Olympic tryouts.

They have produced some of the best field athletes in the last several years.
would really like to see the new head coach work a bit more on the social media side. Lindsay does an amazing job with her instagram account pushing the athletes. I would have never known who Jada or Avery or some of these athletes were or how good they were if it was not for her. The sprint coach Burke Bockman has done a good job on social media posting stuff. That program needs some push to be in peoples eyes and would love to see that happen

I was on the CU site today and the cross country roster for 2023 does not have Mark, Heather or the old coaches. It has Jenny Simpson, Val C and Micaela Degenro as the coaches. before Jenny was a volunteer coach and Val and Micaela not listed. Could this be a hint

Just now I see as the coaching staff:

Brock Brockman, Casey and Lindsay Malone as assistant coaches, Karen Lechman as Director of Operations and Jenny Simpson and Brandon Johnson as Coaches.

No one has the title of head coach.

Back