What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Matches Thread- #18 SOCCER hosts DU (Thursday, 9/5/24, 7:00 PM MT) & Weber State (Sunday, Noon MT)

Great to see the win from the soccer team...makes this weekend better after that brutal loss in football.

Media after today's win -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2024/9/8/soccer-colorado-extends-win-streak-to-five

"
BOULDER — Sophomores Ava Priest and Hope Leyba found the net, helping No. 18 Colorado close the non-conference schedule with a 2-0 win over Weber State at Prentup Field on Sunday. The win was the Buffaloes' second consecutive shutout and their fifth consecutive victory.

Colorado improves to 6-1-0 on the season as the team looks forward to the start of Big 12 play next week.

The Buffs followed up their season-high 26-shot performance against Denver on Thursday with 25 shots on Sunday. Juliauna Hayward led the team with her six attempts. Hayward and H. Leyba each had four shots on target.

"I thought we played well," head coach Danny Sanchez expressed. "We created a ton of chances. They didn't all fall for us today, but I'm really pleased with how we played, attacked and our mentality. It was a good win for us. Obviously, we would like to have maybe made it a little easier on ourselves, but at the end of the day, 2-0 is a great result."

The teams went into the half scoreless, but the Buffs turned up the heat on the Wildcats in the second half, totaling 14 shots in the final frame. Priest got the Buffs on the board with her second goal in as many contests, and Leyba added a late goal to secure the win.

"We know this team [Weber State] would come to play," H. Leyba said after the win. "We knew they were athletic and we had to match it. It's hard on Sunday sometimes to get yourself going, but the hard work we put in really matters. We had good soccer as a team, and ultimately, we scored two goals and won the game."

Colorado keeper Jordan Nytes continued her shutout streak, making four saves in the win. Colorado hasn't conceded a goal in four consecutive games, with Nytes having not given up a goal since the Aug. 18 match against North Carolina.

Weber State falls to 0-5-3 this season.

"The first goal was quality," Sanchez expressed. "Juliauna, Micky and Ava, that's just a great goal. Like I told the team, the second goal from Hope is just legit, just effort, laying it all on the line. We see it every day in training, and I'm pleased that she got rewarded for all the work she put in today."

Up Next
The Buffs open the Big 12 schedule with three straight matches away from Prentup Field. Colorado will open at Kansas State next Thursday and then wrap up the stretch at Oklahoma State (Sept 19) and Iowa State (Sept. 22).

Notes
Rosenbaum and Curran became the 12th and 13th different Buffs to record a point this season…Priest is now tied with Shyra James for the team lead in game-winning goals with two…H. Leyba's goal was her fourth of the season...Nytes now has 13 total shutouts at CU and 19 in her career…She's played 429:11 consecutive minutes of shutout soccer dating back to Aug. 22 vs Wyoming…Nytes now has four consecutive shutout wins, tying her for the second-longest streak in a season…Sunday was her 19th win as a Buff…Colorado has now outscored opponents 16-4 this season…Sunday was the first match of the year the Buffs did not score off a set piece…James missed the match due to injury.

QUOTES
Head Coach Danny Sanchez
On the continued push in the second half –
"They [Weber State] had kind of one-half chance and Greer [Maguire] did a good job of dealing with it. For the most part, their shots were from distance. We had to find that second goal. We probably left it a little too late, but it was a great result at the end of the day."

Sophomore Hope Leyba
On Ava Priest
"I think she's done great. She's so in shape. She runs all over the field. She's such a good teammate. She passes to everyone and gets so many assists and scores. She's really helping the team out."

On her goal – "I just tackled the goalkeeper and watched the ball roll. I was like, 'Please go in.' It just rolled slowly and I scored. I was really happy."
"
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/sports/womens-soccer/stats/2024/weber-state/boxscore/17024

Looks like this match was the last non-conference match before starting B12 play at KSU this week followed by road trips to OSU & ISU. Let's go beat some Big 8 foes!

An easy win for the Buffs despite not scoring until the 57th minute. Weber State rarely mounted a dangerous attack and when they did get a shot off it was often from long range. On the flip side CU was getting a lot of shots on target, but most of them didn’t challenge the keeper either. Attacking dominance showed up in two other ways for CU; 8 corners to 0 for WSU and 35% of their possession in the final 3rd to 15% for WSU.

With Shyra James in street clothes (along with Jenny Beyer) freshman Jace Holly started up top with Hope Leyba. Otherwise the lineup was unchanged from the DU match.

The Buffs best chance of the first half was on a PK which was earned when Hope Leyba was pulled down in the box when beating a defender off the dribble. Laura Guivin took the PK was saved by WSU’s Hadley Harris.

Ava Priest finally got the Buffs on the board when she put in a close range shot after a nice sequence of passes from Michaela Rosenbaum and Juliuana Heyward. Priest looked to have scored again in the 70th minute but the play was called offside. On both of these sequences Priest was playing a more central role in the midfield rather than wingback.

Hope Leyba put the game away in the 87th minute when a long ball over the top caused WSU’s Hadley Harris to race off her line to get to it first. She did, but Hope was right there and blocked the clearance which then rolled into the goal.

CU opens their return to Big XII play on Thursday night when they travel to Kansas State.

Is it time to start seriously considering better facilities for the soccer and Lacrosse programs?

Is it time to start seriously considering better facilities for the soccer and Lacrosse programs?
I think for Lacrosse for sure. I know they just upgraded the soccer with lights and a new field and new bathrooms and support buildings. I don't know if they are going to even think about that in the near future though as their plans are to upgrade the west side of Folsom and the Keg. Now if somebody wants to donate 100 million or so the project will move up.

Back