What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Matches thread -#20 Soccer hosts #7 WSU (Thurs., 3:30 MT) & Washington (Sunday, 2:00 MT)

Rare mistake from goalie Tompkins (with miscommunication with other Buffs causing the ball to go between her hands) on a long free kick ties up the match late in regulation (84th minute).

Last edited:
I was watching on PACN. Couldn't believe the cheap goal we gave them. It did seem to wake everyone up, though, because there was a ton of pressure put on UW after that. Especially in OT. In the end, nice win.

This weekends game were pretty physical and this one was pretty chippy. Great wins for the team. That was a bad goal that Tompkins let in but that is all right. Would like to see the team control the play more. It seemed like Washington had more possession time and CU countered. Barton seems to have a minor knee thing. It was good to see Pikatapu play today

No doubt that was a highly unusual mistake by JJ. She felt awful about it and I doubt it will happen again. Good news is that they were still able to get the win.

For much of the match the Buffs just seemed to be not a precise a they often have been this season. And while UDub had more possession (I would guess) and more shots, most of the time they weren't much of threat as their shots were coming from 20 - 25 yards out.

upload_2018-10-7_21-24-13.png

I am not to worried about J.J. I just found how chippy and physical the game seemed. When the Washington player went after Korniak and the ref after the play was over and nothing was called that surprised me. Washington's goalie played really well and made some nice saves.

Article on today's win-

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2018/10/7/soccer-baucoms-two-tallies-put-buffs-past-huskies.aspx

"
BOULDER—The No. 20 Colorado women's soccer team remained unbeaten after defeating Washington in double overtime.

The Buffaloes' 2-1 win improved CU's record to 11-0-3, 2-0-3 in Pac-12 Conference play. Washington fell to 7-5-1 and 2-3 in the leauge.

HOW IT HAPPENED: Ralphie started the afternoon with a thundering charge and CU senior Jorian Baucom capped off the evening in thrilling fashion.

KEY STATISTIC: Colorado had a decisive advantage in corner kicks, 10-3. The Buffs were awarded three corner kicks in the overtime periods, while Washington was unable to set up from the corner in overtime.

BY THE NUMBERS:
Colorado

Goals: 2
Shots: 20
Fouls: 12
Saves: 9

Washington
Goals:
Shots: 17
Fouls: 16
Saves: 7

UP NEXT: Colorado closes out its homestand next Saturday at 1 p.m. The Buffs will take on Oregon in their only contest of the week.

NOTES: The overtime win was the first of the season for the Buffs…Colorado has played four overtime games this season now with a 1-0-3 record…CU is one of just four unbeaten teams reaming in DI (Stanford, Georgetown, UC Riverside, Colorado)…Baucom now has a team-high 27 points (10 G, 5 A)…Greening now has an assist in three consecutive games…Kinzner's assist was her first point of the season…Geraghty's assist was her third of the season...the win was the 35th of Tompkins' career.

QUOTABLE:
Head Coach Danny Sanchez

On overall performance
"I thought we played well in the first half and had a well-deserved 1-0 lead. The second half—Washington is a good team. They were moving the ball well. Most of their shots came from a distance and we felt good about that. We were a little unfortunate on the goal, but that is soccer. We had opportunities on the other end to make it 2-0. Having said that, I thought we played on the front foot and we were going for the three points. It was end-to-end action. I do not think this game was going to end in a tie. We had a lot of corner kicks in overtime and a lot of pressure. Kayleigh [Webb] makes a great effort to just kind of get the ball down there. She keeps it alive and Libby [Geraghty] flicks it on for Jorian [Baucom]. It is a good win for us because this is a very good team."

On the playing conditions
"For the fans, maybe it is not perfect. But for the players, it was perfect soccer weather. The ball is moving quick. You do not get as tired as fast. The speed of play is excellent. I thought both teams left it on the field today. I do not think the weather was a factor."

Senior Jorian Baucom
On scoring the game-winner
"I will take it. I was shocked to be all by myself in the box. We just have to be ready for those rebounds. Luckily, I was in the right spot at the right time to pick that up."
"
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/boxscore.aspx?path=wsoc&id=11376

Pac 12 Network recap-

Buff Youtube channel highlights -

Obviously these things don't really matter a whole lot in a way, but still like to note it when Buffs get (obviously deserved) recognition.

Topdrawersoccer tries to rank the Top 100 college soccer players in the country, and just updated (as of today-10/8) its lists for mid-season for its top 100 non-freshmen (https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college-soccer/college-national-top-100/women) and Top 100 freshmen (https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/col...genderId=f&periodId=53&seasonId=2018&nopage=0).

There are 2 Buffs ranked in both lists:
Among non-freshmen, Taylor Korneick is ranked #14 and Tatum Barton #79 in the country.
Among freshmen, Kayleigh Webb comes in at #21 while Jesse Loren is at #63.

Congrats to them- hope they (and their teammates who help them receive the recognition they earn) keep on excelling this season and beyond!!!

There are 2 Buffs ranked in both lists:
Among non-freshmen, Taylor Korneick is ranked #14 and Tatum Barton #79 in the country.
Among freshmen, Kayleigh Webb comes in at #21 while Jesse Loren is at #63.
There should be two more Buffs, one on each list. For freshmen Emily Groark has to be top 100 caliber and for non-freshmen, Jorian Baucom.

Also, on the freshmen list there are a ton of players from Colorado - who went out of state. Hope some of them will see the light and transfer home :sneaky:.

Baucom is so strong inside the box. Looks like defenses have to adjust their scheme to check her. I was really impressed with her play against UW.

P.S. Speaking of Washington, Pang is one hell of a defensive player.

Back