What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Matches thread- Soccer visits OSU (Thursday, 10/26, 4:00 PM MT) & Oregon (Sunday, Noon MT)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
Preview article -

Direct link - http://www.cubuffs.com/news/2017/10...road-for-two-important-matches-in-oregon.aspx

"
BOULDER - Colorado's soccer team will play two key road matches in Oregon this weekend. The Buffs (8-5-4 overall, 2-4-2 Pac-12) will play at Oregon State (4-9-3, 1-6-1) at 4 p.m. MT on Thursday. They then head to Eugene to face Oregon (7-9-0, 1-7-0) on Sunday at 12 p.m. MT, a match that will be televised on Pac-12 Mountain.

At the moment, the Buffs should likely be in the NCAA Tournament with an RPI of 43, but a loss or draw this weekend could drop them to the other side of the bubble. Six road points this weekend would be important for the Buffs in securing a spot in the postseason for the second consecutive year and fourth time in the past five years.

SCOUTING OREGON STATE
The Beavers have had trouble finding the goal all season, ranking last in the Pac-12 in goals per game (0.44) and 327th nationally. However, they have one of the best goalkeepers in the country, a member of United States U-23 National Team, in Bella Geist. The senior is first in the NCAA among active players in career saves and leads the Pac-12 in saves per game this year. For the season, she has a 1.55 goals-against average and .785 save percentage. She is supported defensively by Nikki Faris, who was an honorable mention All-Pac-12 selection last year, and Allison Pantuso, who was the Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Week on Oct. 10. Faris scored against CU in a 2-0 loss to the Beavers in 2015.

SCOUTING OREGON
The Ducks rank ninth in the Pac-12 in scoring (1.12 goals per game) and 10th in goals-against average. Junior Marissa Everett was an honorable mention All-Pac-12 selection last year and has continued her strong play in 2017, leading Oregon with five goals and four assists for 14 points. Kyra Fawcett, another junior striker, is among Oregon's all-time leaders in goals scored and has four this year. She was the Pac-12 Offensive Player of the Week on Sept. 4. Fawcett has also scored a goal in each of the past two meetings against CU in 2015 and 2016.

"

Vs. Oregon State (Thursday, 4:00 PM MT)
Live Video
- None ?!? (C'mon OSU- it's the 21st Century.)
Live Stats - Link should appear sometime before the start of the match at http://www.statbroadcast.com/events/statmonitr.php?gid=orst .

Vs. Oregon (Sunday, Noon MT)
Live Video
- match is only being shown live on the Pac 12 Oregon channel. For those whose TV/ Satellite/ Cord Cutting subscription includes access to that Pac 12 channel, the match can also be streamed through a link at http://pac-12.com/womens-soccer/event/2017/10/29/colorado-oregon . (Note- looks like the Mountain channel is showing the Utah OSU match while this one is on live, but does have a delayed showing of CU- Oregon scheduled right after at 2:00 PM MT.)
Live Audio - Looks like Oregon also has a (assume student) radio station that will be broadcasting the match - http://kwvaradio.org/listen-live .
Live Stats - Link should appear sometime before the start of the match at http://www.statbroadcast.com/events/statmonitr.php?gid=ore .

It's a cliché, but both matches are must wins - assuming the Buffs are going to have a shot at the NCAA tourney. And both, on paper, are very winnable.

Go Buffs!

Buffs go up 1-0!
Per live stats - "GOAL by COLO Puketapu, Marty (FIRST GOAL), Assist by Rasmussen, Becca, goal number 8 for season. [51:44]"

Congrats again to the Buffs for the win, and for tieing the shutout record.

Article of the win over OSU.

"
CORVALLIS, Ore. – Marty Puketapu scored early in the second half as Colorado earned a 1-0 win at Oregon State on Thursday afternoon with their school-record 12th shutout of the season. The Buffs have now picked up seven points in their past three matches and are 9-5-4 overall and 3-4-2 in the Pac-12. OSU dropped to 4-10-3 and 1-7-1.

The Buffs also had 12 clean sheets in 2004 and 2014 and have two regular-season matches remaining this season.
KEY STATISTICS: Tompkins finished with three saves in the match and picked up her seventh solo shutout of the season. She has also shared the shutout in CU's five other clean sheets. The Buffs were outshot 14-8 overall, but outshot OSU 6-5 in the second half.

NOTES: Puketapu's goal moves her into a tie for second in the Pac-12 among freshman goal scorers with eight this season ... she also moved into a tie for fourth place all-time among CU freshmen ... Puketapu also has three goals in her past three matches and four overall in Pac-12 play ... Tompkins now has a shutout streak of 318:05, the longest for a CU goalkeeper in conference play since the Buffs joined the Pac-12 in 2011 (longest in conference play since Kirstin Radlinski had a shutout streak of 354:59 in the Big 12 in 2008) ... CU tied the school record for shutouts in a season with its 12th this year (also had 12 in 2004 and 2014)

UP NEXT: CU's road trip continues on Sunday when the Buffs play at Oregon. Kickoff is set for noon MT in Eugene.

POSTGAME QUOTES:
Danny Sanchez, head coach

On the match
"I thought we came out slow and Oregon State came out with a lot of energy and put us under a lot of pressure early. After the first 15 minutes, I thought we started to settle down and play much better. As far as the goal, just really a great individual effort from Becca. She picked the ball up wide, beat a player on the dribble, cut inside and beat another player. And then she slipped a great ball to Marty to tuck it away. After that, we defended very well and gave up just a couple of half chances. But really, the back four and JJ did a good job to get the shutout."
"

Box score - http://www.cubuffs.com/boxscore.aspx?path=wsoc&id=9866

Highlight- lead-up to and scoring of the Buff's goal-

Last edited:

PACN is showing volleyball, so I'm not getting the match.

I wish the PACN focused things.

Mon & Tue off from live events with the focus on studio shows.

Wed is "Spike Night" focused on VB.
Thu is "Soccer Night" focused on Soc.
Fri & Sat are for football.
Sunday is a "wide world of sports" type day where they mix it up with the best matchups in VB & Soc along with running highlights of XC and other sports in produced replays.

Sounds like the Buffs are dominating action & chances but having trouble finishing again today.

halftime - still 0-0
Buffs not taking advantage of chances. Hopefully that does not come back to bite them.

Goal!!!

Barton wins the ball just outside the penalty area and puts a nice shot inside the far post.

Team is now 10-5-4 with a .500 conference record.

Finishes up at Utah next week, a squad that is really struggling.

Get the win and I think this team will have recovered from its struggles to make the NCAA tourney.

Article on today's win.-

Direct link - http://www.cubuffs.com/news/2017/10...ore-as-buffs-earn-10th-win-of-the-season.aspx

"
EUGENE, Ore. – Tatum Barton and Taylor Kornieck both scored in the second half to lift Colorado to a 2-0 victory at Oregon on Sunday at Papé Field. The win stretched CU's unbeaten streak to four matches as they've won three and tied once during that stretch. The win also improved CU to 10-5-4 overall and 4-4-2 in the Pac-12, the fourth time in the past five seasons the Buffs have reached 10 wins. Oregon dropped to 8-10-0 and 2-8-0.

The win also broke CU's record for shutouts in a season with its 13th clean sheet of the year.

With two wins for six points over the weekend, the Buffs moved up to sixth place in the Pac-12, two points clear of Washington State, which lost 1-0 to Arizona on Sunday.

KEY STATISTICS: CU outshot Oregon 15-12 in the match, including 8-6 in shots on goal. Jalen Tompkins made six saves for her eighth clean sheet of the season. Kornieck had four shot attempts, including three on goal.

NOTES: Barton came on as a sub late in the first half … Tompkins stretched her personal shutout streak to 408:05, the second-longest in school history in conference-only play behind Jessica Keller's mark of 463:55 from 2004-05 in the Big 12 … CU's team shutout streak is now 453:05, also the second-best ever in conference-only matches, behind a streak of 463:55 from 2004-05 in the Big 12 … Orejel's assist was the 14th of her career, moving her into a tie for fifth all-time at CU, and first among defenders … Kornieck snapped a nine-match goal drought, the longest of her career, and her 17th career score (first this season in Pac-12 play; seventh career in conference matches) moves her into a tie for seventh in school history for goals scored … Tompkins's eight shutouts this season are the fifth-most in a season in CU history … Barton's goal was her fifth this season and the first time she has only scored one goal in a match (she had two braces prior to Sunday's win) … CU broke the single-season record for shutouts in a season with its 13th clean sheet (previous mark was 12 set in 2004 and 2014).

UP NEXT: CU will wrap up the 2017 regular season at Utah on Friday. Kickoff is set for 1 p.m.

POSTGAME QUOTES:
Danny Sanchez, head coach

On the match
"I thought we played well. First half, we created some really good opportunities and credit to their keeper, who made some really nice saves. Going into halftime, I thought we controlled the quality chances. Second half, first 15 minutes, we started slow. Oregon was putting some good pressure on us. But we made a couple subs and turned the momentum. It was a great individual effort from Tatum, who is always working and doing the dirty work and she got rewarded today [with the goal]. Taylor's goal was a great service from Joss, but there are not many players in the country that score the goal that Taylor scored.

"To win on the road against a team that was coming off two 3-0 wins at home in the Pac-12, it was a very good win for the Buffs."

On Barton's play off the bench
"Tatum had a good chance off a rebound off a free kick from Taylor [in the first half] and was causing a lot of havoc. Coming off the bench, I thought she provided a great spark, not just because of her goal, but because of her energy and her work rate when she came into the game. I'm pleased for her to be able to get a goal to be rewarded for her work today."

On Kornieck's first goal in Pac-12 play
"Her two-way work this year has been fantastic. She's invaluable to what we do on the defensive side of the ball and on the attacking side. Sometimes you get rewarded and sometimes you don't. And today she get rewarded because of a really great individual effort by her to get up and finish that ball. It was first class."

On the play the team to get the fourth consecutive clean sheet
"The back four were fantastic and all played 90 minutes today. Kelsey [Aaknes], Hannah [Cardenas], Alex [Vidger] and Joss [Orejel] really limited their opportunities. They have some dangerous players and when they got in a dangerous spot, I thought we did a good job blocking shots and pushing things wide. JJ, her communication and organization in the back was a key to our success because Oregon does send a lot of numbers forward, and like I said, they had six goals in their last two conference games. I felt Cassie [Phillips] and Nancy [Best], who played the holding mid, did a good job today of just shielding the back four and also distributing. It was really a team effort from everybody. Especially when we got the goal, I felt all 11 players on the field really contributed well."

Taylor Kornieck, sophomore, midfielder
On scoring her goal
"It was a free kick and Joss whipped in a really good ball and I ran near post and just flicked it on and it went in to the far post. For me personally, it was my first goal of the [conference] season so it felt really great to get one in."

On the importance of getting six points this weekend
"It was really important to help us get into the tournament. For the team, it was a really big confidence booster going into Utah."

On playing Utah on Friday
"It's really important and we just have to be ready. We came in with really good focus in this game and we have to carry it over to Utah and just play our game."

On the play of Barton off the bench
"Tatum came in with really good energy and she really helped us up top. She won the ball from the centerback and just cut in and had a beautiful shot to the far post."

On getting the first goal
"It was really key. Once we get the first goal, it wasn't as hard to get the second one. It was really good by Tatum to get one to the far post for us and carry us for the entire game."
"
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Box score - http://www.cubuffs.com/boxscore.aspx?path=wsoc&id=9867

Pac 12 Networks recap/ highlights -

Note- for any big general soccer fans, the women's soccer "match of the year" will be starting soon (at 4:00 MT)- #1 Stanford vs. defending national champ (and currently #5 ranked) USC. (It looks to be on the Pac 12 National, L.A. and Bay Area channels.)
______________________________________________________________________________________________

Also, it will be interesting for me to see what the Buff's RPI is when the updating ratings come out (assume either tomorrow or Tuesday), as it always fascinates me how all the factors come together to help and hurt (the mystical and yet VERY important to selection committees) RPI . RPI rated #43 going into the weekend, the Buffs did their job by winning both matches, but their Oregon opponents records (now I believe a combined 13-20-3) won't help improve the Buff's RPI, but hopefully the Oregon teams' opponents' records (esp. other Pac teams) will help some.

(For those who don't follow it closely, the RPI formula is as I understand it:
  • A team's (the Buffs in this case) winning % (25%)
  • A team's OPPONENTS' winning %'s (50%) and
  • the opponents' OPPONENTS' winning % (25))

Note- for any big general soccer fans, the women's soccer "match of the year" will be starting soon (at 4:00 MT)- #1 Stanford vs. defending national champ (and currently #5 ranked) USC. (It looks to be on the Pac 12 National, L.A. and Bay Area channels.)
______________________________________________________________________________________________

Also, it will be interesting for me to see what the Buff's RPI is when the updating ratings come out (assume either tomorrow or Tuesday), as it always fascinates me how all the factors come together to help and hurt (the mystical and yet VERY important to selection committees) RPI . RPI rated #43 going into the weekend, the Buffs did their job by winning both matches, but their Oregon opponents records (now I believe a combined 13-20-3) won't help improve the Buff's RPI, but hopefully the Oregon teams' opponents' records (esp. other Pac teams) will help some.

(For those who don't follow it closely, the RPI formula is as I understand it:
  • A team's (the Buffs in this case) winning % (25%)
  • A team's OPPONENTS' winning %'s (50%) and
  • the opponents' OPPONENTS' winning % (25))
With that, you have multipliers based on neutral, home or away if soccer uses the same RPI formula as men's basketball.

Neutral games multiply into your total at 1.0
Home games multiply into your total at 0.6
Road games multiply into your total at 1.4

Hopefully this is what's applied here because that huge road bonus would have a major positive impact from this week's games.

With that, you have multipliers based on neutral, home or away if soccer uses the same RPI formula as men's basketball.

Neutral games multiply into your total at 1.0
Home games multiply into your total at 0.6
Road games multiply into your total at 1.4

Hopefully this is what's applied here because that huge road bonus would have a major positive impact from this week's games.

I know more about volleyball RPI, and know that sport (unlike basketball) does NOT have a home/ road adjustment. And, I just found a VERY detailed website that looks at soccer RPI. Per https://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/home-away-neutral-issues , it does NOT look to me like soccer uses a home/ road adjustment in its RPI analysis either (other than it sounds like for analyzing good wins and bad losses?), although I admit once I see anything that starts to look too statistic-ey, my eyes start glazing over.

I know more about volleyball RPI, and know (unlike basketball) that sport does NOT have a home/ road adjustment. And, I just found a VERY detailed website that looks at soccer RPI. Per https://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/home-away-neutral-issues , it does NOT look to me like soccer uses a home/ road adjustment in its RPI analysis (other than it sounds like for analyzing good wins and bad losses?).
Good to know. I also looked it up and was about to post. It seems like MBB and Baseball are the only sports that have adjustments outside the basic RPI formula.

RPI rated #43 going into the weekend, the Buffs did their job by winning both matches, but their Oregon opponents records (now I believe a combined 13-20-3) won't help improve the Buff's RPI, but hopefully the Oregon teams' opponents' records (esp. other Pac teams) will help some.
An RPI of #43 is not good for the Buffs in terms of making the NCAA tourney. Unfortunately they haven't defeated teams with top 20ish RPIs. This may be the killer for them. The loss at home to Cal could be the killer. It was a winnable match that unfortunately they lost 0-1. I'd say they are on the bubble and they won't be able to significantly change their RPI in a positive way after this weekend or after their last match v Utah (which they should win).

Back