What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Matches thread- Volleyball hosts WSU (Wednesday, 7:00 PM MT) & #11 Washington (Friday, 6:00 PM)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
Best wishes to Buff volleyball this week as they seek to even the season series against the 2 tough Washington schools, who swept the Buffs earlier this season in Washington.

Preview article -

Direct link - http://www.cubuffs.com/news/2017/10...season-series-against-wsu-and-washington.aspx

"
Colorado Looks To Even Season Series Against WSU and Washington

BOULDER— The Colorado Buffaloes are back at the Coors Events Center this week for a pair of matches. The Buffs will look to exact revenge on Washington State and Washington for early conference season losses. CU hosts WSU on Wednesday, Nov. 1 at 7 p.m. and UW on Friday, Nov. 3, at 6 p.m.

HOW TO WATCH: Both matches this week will be televised on Pac-12 Networks. Wednesday's match against Washington State is the Pac-12 Network Women's Volleyball Match of the Week, "Spike Night." Krista Blunk and Amy Gant will have the call. Friday night Rich Burk will provide the play-by-play and Gant will return for color commentary.

LIVE STATS: Links to the live stats for both matches are available at CUBuffs.com.

ABOUT THE BUFFS: Colorado is 17-6 overall and is tied for fifth in the Pac-12 with a 7-5 mark. The Buffs have won five of their last six, including a pair last weekend at then-No. 15 Oregon (3-2) and Oregon State (3-1).

SCOUTING THE COUGARS: Washington State is 14-10 overall and is 10th in the conference with a 3-9 record. The Cougars have lost six of their last seven contests. Taylor Mims leads WSU with 3.80 kills per set, which is seventh in the Pac-12, and adds 1.99 digs per set. The Cougars are seventh in the NCAA, second in the league, with 3.05 blocks per set. They are led by Jocelyn Urias, who is second in the Pac-12, 13th in the NCAA, with 1.48 blocks per set. Ella Lajos is seventh in the Pac-12 with 1.20 blocks per set and Claire Martin is 14th in the conference with 1.07 blocks per set. The passing game is led by Alexis Dirige's 4.56 digs per set, the third highest mark in the Pac-12.
The Cougars defeated Colorado, 3-1, on Oct. 6, in Pullman, Wash.

SCOUTING THE HUSKIES: Washington is ranked 11th in the latest AVCA Division I Coaches Poll with an 18-5 record. The Huskies are tied for second in the Pac-12 with Utah and Southern California (8-4) and have won their last three matches. Carly DeHoog is the team leader in kills, averaging 3.01 per set and also has the best hitting percentage at .329. UW leads the Pac-12 and is third in the NCAA with 3.19 blocks per set. The Huskies have at trio averaging over 1.00 blocks per set. Lauren Sanders leads the conference and is eighth in the NCAA with 1.56 blocks per set, while Marion Hazelwood is fifth in the Pac-12 (28th in the NCAA) with 1.39 blocks per set. DeHoog is 15th in the Pac-12 with 1.04.
The Huskies took the first meeting this season, 3-0, on Oct. 8, in Seattle.

WHAT'S NEXT: The Buffs head to Los Angeles to take on UCLA on Thursday, Nov. 9, and USC on Saturday, Nov. 11, at 2 p.m.

MATCH PROMOTIONS VS. WASHINGTON STATE:
  • Hots dogs are $1 at the concession stands.
  • Head coach Jesse Mahoney will host a pre-match 'Chalk Talk', in the Coors Club Room approximately 35 minutes prior to the start of the match. This is open to the public.

MATCH PROMOTIONS VS. WASHINGTON:
  • Fans are encouraged to wear white for a 'White Out.'
  • The team will sign autographs following the match on the concourse behind sections 2 and 3.
"

Vs. WSU (Wednesday, 7:00 MT start) and Washington (Friday, 6:00 MT)-

Live Video
- Both matches are being shown live on the Pac 12 National, Mountain and Washington channels. For those whose TV/ Satellite/ Cord Cutting subscription includes access to those Pac 12 channels, the match can also be streamed through links at http://pac-12.com/womens-volleyball/event/2017/11/01/washington-state-colorado and http://pac-12.com/womens-volleyball/event/2017/11/03/washington-colorado.

Live Stats (for both matches) - http://www.sidearmstats.com/cu/wvball/

At a school meeting but it looks like the Buffs just took the second set. 2-0 Buffs

Buffs "not taking any prisoners" on this one so far,, winning the 1st 2 sets pretty easily (25-14, 25-17).

(3rd set looking tighter, as it's 7-9 WSU right now,)

Last edited:
Yes! Buffs take care of business and finish WSU off quickly with a sweep, winning the 3rd set 25-23!
(Extra nice given they'll be facing a rested #11 Husky squad on Friday!)

Last edited:
A couple of Pac 12 Networks videos-
Interview with freshman setter Brynna Deluzio-
http://pac-12.com/videos/colorados-brynna-deluzio-transitioning-setter-its-definitely-blessing

Match recap-

(They showed team stats at the end of the recap, and I hadn't noticed before that, while the Buffs didn't have a great kill % (.200), they held the Cougars to MINUS .019. (I will be surprised if the Buffs have held many (if any) Pac opponents to an overall negative hitting % since they've joined the Pac 7 years ago.))

Article on tonight's match-

Direct link - http://www.cubuffs.com/news/2017/11/1/volleyball-buffs-sweep-washington-state.aspx

"
BOULDER — The Colorado volleyball team recorded an impressive 3-0 victory (25-14, 25-17, 25-23) over Washington State on Wednesday night at the Coors Events Center to win its third straight match and improve to 18-6 overall.

CU has won six of its last seven matches to improve to 8-5 in conference play, while WSU fell to 14-11 (3-10 Pac-12).

WHAT HAPPENED: Junior Frankie Shebby led the way for the Buffs with 10 kills and added nine digs. Anna Pfefferle and Alexa Smith each tallied eight kills and Naghede Abu added another six kills.

Gabby Carta-Samuels led CU's passers with 12 digs, while Brynna DeLuzio had 11 digs. DeLuzio led the Buffs at the net with six blocks, while Abu was second with five.

NOTES: The Buffs are 8-2 at Coors this season…CU leads the series 10-4 against WSU…CU has won six of its last seven…The Buffs have had three sweeps in Pac-12 play this season.

TEAM STATISTICS: Colorado hit .200 with 40 kills and 18 errors on 110 attacks. WSU was held to a -.019 hitting efficiency with 28 kills and 30 errors on 108 attacks. The Buffs had the advantage in digs (45-39) and blocks (8.5-8.0), while the Cougars led the match in aces (3-1).

NEXT UP: The Buffs host No. 11 Washington on Friday, Nov. 3, at 6 p.m. The match will be televised on Pac-12 Network.

QUOTES:
Head coach Jesse Mahoney
On The Win
"Washington State is a very good team. They're long and athletic and very disruptive with their block especially. I didn't think it was a very good night for us on first ball sideout, but we've been doing this a lot lately. I thought we were really good game planning. We were really good with our block, slowing down and funneling it where we needed to go. Both of their [Washington State's] outside hitters, one hit negative and one hit pretty close. We definitely frustrated them from that stand point. I'd like to be a little cleaner inside out but you don't get a lot of 3-0 sweeps in this league, so we'll take it."

On If The Team Was Rested After The Quick Turnaround From The Oregon Games
"I hope so. We gave them Monday off and we didn't do very much work this week. I think we were rested. When you take days off, prep days are really light days so we didn't jump very much. On a prep day, you hope they're getting the mental jumps and the mental swings. I think we're doing a pretty good job of that this part of the season."

On The Close Third Set
"Washington State made a change in their lineup and spun the dial by starting in rotation four instead of rotation one. It was a new matchup, so it took us a little bit to adjust. They started running a lot of interior rip sets to the outside. They scored on those quite a bit, tipped on us quite a bit. Our passing broke down a little bit. But all of that being said, I thought we focused during that entire third set. We played big after [point] 20."

On Prep For Washington On Friday
"We're going to have to be rested, healthy, prepared, focused. We're going to need our outsides to take some big swings and serving and passing. It's going to take a lot, I can think of a list of 10 things. We're going to have to do a lot of things really well to beat one of the best teams in the country."

On Team Morale
"I think our kids feel really good about how we're playing. The wins will come if we're doing things the right way. I think we all feel good about how we're training and game prepping. We've been pushed quite a bit to get these wins so we're excited about what we're doing."
"

Box score - http://www.cubuffs.com/boxscore.aspx?path=wvball&id=9835

Reminder for anyone attending tomorrow evening's match- it's a designated "whiteout".

Represent, Nik. I so wish I could be there in person. This match I get to watch on television and not on a computer. #GoBuffs

Buffs call quick timeout at 2 all as setter Deluzio seems to have sprained her ankle. She wasn't limping too bad, so hopefully nothing serious.

Edit- it is reserve setter Emily Demure in now. Say they are taping Ms. Deluzio's ankle right now.

Great reaction by the Buffs. After giving up 3 points after the injury, they've come back and have a narrow 9-8 lead. TO udub.

21-19 Buffs. TO udub. Ms. Deluzio is back in now at times. Looks to the extent possible she will be used in back row rotations, and then occasionally subbing in in the front row when the Buffs are in serve receive. (They're trying to minimize her blocking responsibilities.)

Buffs lost a 3 point lead, but then go another small run to get it back up to 3 at 16-13. udub takes their 2nd timeout.

Buffs built up a 6 point lead, then udub goes on a small run (with CU serve receive issues) which causes Coach Mahoney to take CU's 1st timeout of the match. Still a 20-17 Buff lead.

Buffs have to call a timeout early in the 3rd after a brutal start on both sides of the serve, I believe with 3 service errors out of 4 or 5 attempts, and then having allowed 3 aces by udub. Still time to comeback with the 4-8 deficit.

Back