What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Matches thread- Volleyball hosts WSU (Wednesday, 7:00 PM MT) & #11 Washington (Friday, 6:00 PM)

Buffs come back and then the lead goes back and forth for awhile before the Buffs get a few in a row to go up 18-16. TO udub.

Buffs go up 23-18 but then give up 3 straight so they take their 2nd timeout; still up 23-21.

It's Friday night in Boulder which means a ranked team gets beat! #GoBuffs You will finally get the ranking you deserve.

I do hope Brynna Deluzio's ankle will be okay so she can play next week.

That was fun! I'm reminded that I attended a match, back in 13, I think, when the Buffs beat a highly ranked Washington team. It was unexpected and a total upset. I also feel it was about the time this team really turned around.

To head into the CEC tonight, fully expecting to win was just a reminder of how far we've come since that night.

Congrats again to the team- 7 wins out of the last 8- AWESOME!

Article on the win-

Direct link - http://www.cubuffs.com/news/2017/11/3/volleyball-buffs-shock-no-11-washington.aspx

"
BOULDER - After suffering a 3-0 loss at the hands of No. 11 Washington earlier this season in Seattle, the Colorado Buffaloes were ready to return the favor. And that is exactly what they did on Friday night at the Coors Events Center, upsetting the Huskies 3-0 (25-22, 25-18, 25-22).

The win, which is CU's fourth straight, moves the Buffs to 19-6 overall, as well as 9-5 in the Pac-12, while Washington is 18-6 (8-5 Pac-12).

WHAT HAPPENED: Junior Alexa Smith hammered 14 kills and hit .444 with just two errors on 27 attacks while adding 12 digs, both match-highs. Joslyn Hayes recorded 12 kills and also had two errors on 20 swings to hit .500. Frankie Shebby also performed well with nine kills, nine digs and two blocks.

CU hit extremely well against the Huskies at .337, which is its highest hitting percentage in Pac-12 play this year. Brynna DeLuzio handed out 21 assists, while Emily DeMure added another 13.

Courtney Schwan led the Huskies with 12 kills and hit .440 and added nine digs.

NOTES: The Buffs have won 3 of the last 4 meetings between the two teams in Boulder…CU is 5-5 against ranked teams this year...This is the fourth sweep in Pac-12 play, the second straight…CU has won seven of its last eight, including four straight…UW has only been swept one other time this season; a loss at Southern California.

TEAM STATISTICS: Colorado hit .337, its best hitting percentage in Pac-12 play. The Buffs had 44 kills and just nine errors on 104 attacks. They held UW to a .191 hitting efficiency with 39 kills and 17 errors on 115 swings. CU also lead in assists (40-34) and digs (50-45). The Huskies had the advantage in aces (5-3) and blocks (5.0-4.0).

NEXT UP: Colorado heads to Los Angeles for a pair of contest, starting on Nov. 9 against UCLA. Then on Nov. 11, CU will take on Southern California.

QUOTES:
Head coach Jesse Mahoney
General

"It was a great performance by all of our players. I thought everyone did a fantastic job. We had a bit of a scare early when Brynna [DeLuzio] went down with her ankle. Emily [DeMure] came in and I thought she played fantastically. She set the ball well. She defended, she blocked well. It was just a really clutch performance by her. We only had nine attack errors in three sets against a blocking team like that. I thought both of our outsides were fantastic. When we got the ball to our middles, they were efficient as well. Naghede [Abu] did well on the swings that she took. It's hard for me to single anything out. The match was really well played by us."

On Team Chemistry
"Last year we were injured during the second half of Pac-12 play and we just weren't firing on all cylinders. First year through with the group, we understand how we want to game plan and attack certain teams. I think this time through, we've been healthy. We're a year older, a year wiser. The last three weeks, our kids have been all over it game planning before games and adjusting during games. Defensively, we've been ahead of the other team tactically for the last couple of matches."

On Brynna DeLuzio's Injury
"She just rolled her ankle. I think it's a middle sprain. If it was a tournament match I think she would have played all the way through but today's match wasn't worth risking anything. We need her healthy for us to be as successful as we want to be."
"
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Box score - http://www.cubuffs.com/boxscore.aspx?path=wvball&id=9836

Pac 12 Network videos-
Interview with Alexa Smith
- http://pac-12.com/videos/colorados-...over-uw-home-its-always-good-get-win-building

Match recap - http://pac-12.com/videos/recap-colorado-womens-volleyball-upsets-no-11-washington-sweep

And, tough tests next weekend coming up in L.A.. (Hope some So. Cal Buff alums and/ or fans can make it to the matches!)

That was fun! I'm reminded that I attended a match, back in 13, I think, when the Buffs beat a highly ranked Washington team. It was unexpected and a total upset. I also feel it was about the time this team really turned around.

To head into the CEC tonight, fully expecting to win was just a reminder of how far we've come since that night.

I remember that night also. Last night, I didn't feel like the Buffs were the underdog. The team has come so far since those days. They are quicker and more athletic as a team. I am enjoying this team a lot. It took them a season to get used to Mahoney's system and for him to bring in some of his own players that fit his system.

Next weekend will be tough on the road.

A couple nice articles on the 2 Buff setters who played in last night's great win-
Starter Brynna Deluzio - http://www.cubuffs.com/news/2017/11/3/volleyball-buffs-frosh-deluzio-has-made-immediate-impact.aspx

"
BOULDER — As a rule, college freshmen consider themselves adjusted to college life when they know where their classes are held, how to find their way home to their dormitories and where their meals are served.

Bonus points are awarded for having visited the library at least once.

But Brynna Deluzio is not your typical college freshman. Deluzio, the setter for the Colorado Buffaloes volleyball team, has added more than freshman basics to her "to-do" list this fall.

That list includes earning a starting job at one of the most important positions on the floor, gaining the trust of her teammates, becoming the first Buff ever to earn Pac-12 Freshman of the Week honors three times, helping her team to a top-20 national RPI, and also being named CU's Student-Athlete of the Month for September.

Deluzio has accomplished that task quite well. Heading into the week, she was second in the Pac-12 in assists (11.24 per set) while helping the Buffs to top-five spots in the conference in hitting percentage, kills and assists. She has been a key figure in CU's victories over nationally ranked squads, including a win at Colorado State, a home win over USC, a season sweep of Oregon and most recently, Friday night's sweep of No. 11 Washington in Boulder.

Perhaps most impressively, she has done that from a position that does not cater to inexperience. The art of playing setter requires a cool head, a highly competitive nature and the ability to absorb and implement strategy on the fly — none of which are usually traits associated with true freshmen, particularly in one of the most competitive conferences in the nation.

"It's the one position you don't see it happen very often," CU coach Jesse Mahoney said. "It's much like a true freshman point guard or a true freshman quarterback. Setter is a little bit of the coach on the floor to a certain extent. To have a freshman come in and be comfortable enough to do it, talented enough to do it, and then be able to assimilate all the information and do it at a high level is pretty rare."

If the name "Deluzio" seems a bit familiar to long-time Colorado fans, there is a reason. Her father, Don Deluzio, was a standout linebacker for Bill McCartney's Buffaloes in the mid-1980s, playing on the teams that helped CU turn the corner back to national relevancy. Her dad's experiences in Boulder no doubt played a role in helping her make the decision to leave Florida and trek across the country to continue her volleyball career, but it was by no means the only factor.

"Obviously my family background played a big role choosing Colorado," Deluzio said. "(But) I also really wanted to get out of Florida and be different from my siblings, who went to Florida State and played sports there. Colorado is in the Pac-12, and I wanted to be in a Power 5 conference. But probably the main reason I chose Colorado was the coaching staff. I just fell in love with them. They were all so welcoming and you can tell they really know their stuff."
'

Injury sub Emily Demure (who did a GREAT job making her coming in look as seamless as possible after she had to play most of the front row rotations after Ms. Deluzio's injury; Below is from Buffzone.com's (written by Pat Rooney) post match notes) - http://www.buffzone.com/buffzonetop...ure-helps-cu-volleyball-overcome-brief-injury

"
It certainly was a scare, but fortunately for the Colorado volleyball team it was a brief one.

Early in the opening set of what eventually turned into a 3-0 sweep for the Buffaloes against No. 11 Washington Friday night at the Coors Events Center, setter Brynna DeLuzio was forced to the sideline after rolling her ankle.

"I think it was a fairly mild sprain," Mahoney said. "If it was a tournament match she would've played all the way through I think. Tonight's match wasn't worth risking anything. We need her to be healthy to be as successful as we want to be."

The Buffs didn't miss a beat with DeMure, who transferred into the CU program this year after spending one season at Penn State.

Earlier this month DeMure endured a stretch where she did not play in six consecutive matches, and entering Friday's game she had posted just 22 assists all season. In addition to smoothly filling in at the setter spot, DeMure also finished with a season-best three digs — one more than she previously had recorded all season.

It also was the first time this season a CU player other than DeLuzio has reached double figures in assists.

"We had a little bit of a scare early with Brynna going down with an ankle, but Emily came in and I thought played fantastic," Mahoney said. "She set the ball well. She defended. She blocked well. Just a really clutch performance by her."
"

Back