What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Matches Thread- VOLLEYBALL opens '21 home slate on Friday (9/10) vs. Texas Tech (10:00 AM) & San Jose State (7:00 PM MT) and vs. UNC on Sat. (7:00 PM)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
After 2 weekends on the road, the volleyball team has its 1st home matches of the season as it hosts 3 teams in its Buff Invitational, with 2 matches tomorrow (at 10:00 AM and 7:00 PM) and another at 7:00 PM on Saturday. Although none of the opposing teams might be thought of as traditional vball powers, they've started off the season a combined 15-4, so CU better be ready to go consistently hard in ALL the matches.

Go Buffs!!!

Preview -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2021/9/9/v...s-home-season-hosting-buffs-invitational.aspx

"
BOULDER – Colorado volleyball will host four matches this Friday and Saturday that go along with a pair of matches at Northern Colorado for the 2021 Buffs Invitational.

The tournament includes six total matches with Northern Colorado, Texas Tech, San Jose State and the Buffs. Texas Tech already completed the first match of the tournament, sweeping UNC Wednesday night in Greeley. San Jose State takes on UNC tonight at 6 p.m., then action switches to Boulder for the final four matches. Colorado will open with a 10 a.m. match against Texas Tech Friday morning, then take on San Jose State Friday night at 7 p.m. San Jose State and Texas Tech will compete Saturday at noon in Boulder, then Colorado will host UNC for the finale of the tournament Saturday at 7 p.m.

Colorado enters the tournament undefeated and receiving votes in the American Volleyball Coaches Association poll with its 4-0 record intact. The Buffs have had four season starts with a 4-0 record under head coach Jesse Mahoney, the best of which came in 2017 when the team went six-straight and won 10 of 11 matches in the non-conference season.

All of the matches will be live streamed on the Pac-12 Network here with live stats also available here.

SCOUTING THE RED RAIDERS
The Raiders have a 6-2 record heading into Boulder with their two losses coming against Tennessee in a five-set match in Knoxville and against No.6-ranked Ohio State in a sweep. They have wins over East Tennessee State, NC State, Abilene Christian, Texas State, Rhode Island and UNC, including completing the reverse sweep of NC State after coming back from down two sets to none.

Texas Tech has an impressive .248 team hitting percentage and are dishing out 2.8 blocks per set. Their attack is spread out and led by Kenna Sauer who is averaging three kills per set with 60 total. In all, three Raiders have 50 or more kills this season. Up front, Brooke Kanas has 21 blocks already this season in just 18 sets played.

SCOUTING THE SPARTANS
The Spartans enter with a 4-1 record with their lone loss being a sweep to No.14-ranked Oregon in Eugene. The team has wins against Santa Clara, Portland State, Sacramento State and Saint Mary's College. They take on the Bears tonight in Greeley at 6 p.m. MT.

SJSU is hitting .225 as a team and has a strong serve game with 2.53 aces per set, good for fourth in the nation. They are also ranked 36th in kills per set, 27th in assists, 23rd in digs and 23rd in team attacks per set. Both Mia Schafer and Yazmin Pitpit are ranked in the top-100 in the nation in aces per set while Schafer is ninth in the nation in assists per set. Libero Sarah Smevog is 34th in the nation in digs per set at 5.12.

SCOUTING THE BEARS
Northern Colorado suffered its first loss of the season Wednesday night in a sweep against Texas Tech. Prior to that they won five-straight, including a five-set win over Northwestern, a five-setter over CSU and sweeping Denver. They are receiving votes in the AVCA poll.

Kailey Jo Ince leads the attack with 85 kills (3.54 per set) and is joined by Makenzie Harris with 62 total kills. On the defensive side, five players have more than 40 digs this season led by Kyndall Feather's 74 (3.08 digs per set). Lauren Strain has a team-best 20 blocks and is the only Bear in double-figures.
"
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Media links:

Live stats (For all matches) - https://cubuffs.com/sidearmstats/wvball/summary

Live Video (Looks like free live streams available for all.):
F
or Texas Tech and SJSU matches - https://pac-12.com/live?networks=P12I
For UNC match - https://pac-12.com/live/cubuffs

The 2nd set was another tight one, but the Buffs pull away late to get it 25-21 and go up 2-0!

(Especially after the last (Illinois) match where they went up 2 but then had to overcome multiple match points in the 5th, hope they treat this next set with as much concentration as they did the 1st 2 sets.)

First set was fun to watch. Buffs were done in Set 3 and just wanted the set over so they can get ready for tonight's match.

I know it was a morning match, but it didn't look like many people were there.

The volleyball team is really starting out very strong this year. I remember when we moved to the PAC 12 and I thought that move would be hardest on the volleyball program. With powerhouses like UCLA, Stanford, and USC, I thought it would really hurt the program. It may have in the short term, but over time, the move to the PAC has really helped elevate the volleyball program at CU. Great to see.

not many were there. It was a fun match, TTU has some good players and played really well until the last set. CU played all right, thought Ewert had a bad game but Tabon and others had really good games. Tabon basically served the game out in the 4th with 10 or so points in a row to put the match out of range

Buffs with a strong 1st set to take it 25-11.

As i'd mentioned in post #8, the 4th set of the Tech match featured a LONG service run by Maya Tabron. I think she had another one this set that was just as long (if not a point or two longer).

The 2nd set was a back and forth affair, but the Buffs pull it out late, converting a 20 all tie to a 25-21 set win and 2-0 set lead. (Believe 3 or so of the last 5 Buff points were via the block.)

Spartans not nearly as good as TTU. Good win for the buffs. Noticed that in both matches the teams did not switch sides in between sets. The hype video for the team tonight had clips from this mornings game so shout out to the video depot for turning that around. The TTU team did not appreciate it as much as I did. They did some grumbling.

I've watched several matches by several teams so far and I haven't seen any game where the teams switched sides.

Now beat UNC!

Match began a bit ago, and looks like the Buffs are in danger of losing their 1st 1st set of the season, as they're down 16-19.

Per the announcer (and confirmed below), the 7-0 start is the best in program history.

Way to go Buffs!

Last edited:
Back