What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Matt Wells - Offensive Analyst Oklahoma

Darth Snow

Hawaiian Buffalo
Club Member
Junta Member
Matt Wells
10201067.jpeg

Official Bio

Current position: Utah State Head Coach
YearTeamOverallConferenceStandingBowl/playoffs
Utah State Aggies (Mountain West Conference) (2013–present)
2013Utah State9–57–11st (Mountain)W Poinsettia
2014Utah State10–46–2T–2nd (Mountain)W New Mexico
2015Utah State6–75–3T–2nd (Mountain)L Famous Idaho Potato
2016Utah State3–91–76th (Mountain)
2017Utah State6–74–4T–4th (Mountain)L Arizona
2018Utah State10–17–0(Mountain)
Utah State:44–3330–17
Total:44–33
National championship Conference title Conference division title or championship game berth
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Former positions:

1997-2001 Navy (QB/FB/WR/JV)
2002-2006 Tulsa (TE/RC)
2007-2008 New Mexico (WR/RC)
2009 Louisville (QB/PGC)
2010 New Mexico (WR)
2011 Utah State (QB/RC)
2012 Utah State (OC/QB)
2013-pres Utah State

RECORD 44-33
Bowls 2-2

Last edited:
I remembered them hanging with MSU week one, then totally forgot about them until this weekend, when I saw them scroll by, as they are ranked 23rd or so. Apparently they haven't lost since and are 10-1. 4 bowls in the last 5 years, two 10 wins seasons. I still think the fanbase largely would be underwhelmed with the hot MWC coach, given Mac and Hawk.... but in reality, they're all different individuals and maybe this guy could work here. He's a USU alum..., does he even want to leave?

I'd say what really jumps out is that Utah State is historical trash and he's made them solid and now this year, great.

They've been blowing people out all year. 25+ lines and they've been covering. I rode them about 5 weeks on a row, but they lost to csu yesterday as a 26.5 favorite.

I'd say what really jumps out is that Utah State is historical trash and he's made them solid and now this year, great.
Not really, look who he took over from. This is very Hawkish, Gary Anderson built Utah State up and he was given the reigns. Good couple of years, then Wells tanked it and has built it back up. The tank years should be very concerning.

He has exactly one season of experience in a P5 program.

And it was at Louisville.

They went 4-8 the year he was there.

So, he has zero experience with a winning P5 program.

Matt Wells, Utah State HC

One of my least favorite coaches in the pool. MWC head coach has a huge season after slowly building a program back up behind a great college QB. Sound familiar? Wells unfortunately shares a resume with Mike MacIntyre pre-CU. Wells is an offensive coach by trade, and his offense is something to be admired this year, as it is explosive and balanced. Matt Wells would also be on the cheaper side, and I would guess his major downside would be recruiting.

https://www.ralphiereport.com/color...288/who-is-colorado-footballs-next-head-coach

Back