What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Matt Wells - Offensive Analyst Oklahoma

I actually find this one intriguing.

Is he more of a Pederson or Gary Anderson. Or neither. Discuss.

I actually find this one intriguing.

Is he more of a Pederson or Gary Anderson. Or neither. Discuss.
Could be a good coach but I think RG is looking to make a bigger splash. In the end, winning is the biggest splash but I don’t think he moves the needle enough.

I like mike, but the lack of big time recruiting experience and exposure scares me. Two years ago he kept it rolling with a fourth string QB, which was impressive.

I'm more intrigued by Matt Wells than most on here. Its obvious that he's the candidate who is most similar to Hawkins and MM of the bunch we're talking about-but that staff looks a lot different to me than the one that MM and DH had....which wound up coming with those two when they got this job. There's a lot more power 5 experience on it, and its a lot more accomplished than what we've seen with those two-His OC is David Yost (who spent 11 years working for Gary Pinkel at Missouri, and his offenses blew us out while he was there on more than one occasion-four which as the OC) and his DC is Keith Patterson (held the same title under Todd Graham at ASU for the last few years). Their schemes would help our personnel offensively-a lot of spread it out and get the ball out of the QB's hands quickly, so I think it can work pretty seamlessly around what we already have.

I don't see how he solves the recruiting issues we had with MM.

And I think that's a fair question. I do think the assistant pool is going to increase, and I'd hope we'd see Wells (if he got the job) not just bring his entire USU staff here like MM did 6 years ago. Like I said in a post a few days ago-Are there more attractive options out there? No question. That said, you don't ignore this guy because he coaches in the Mountain West right now.

And I think that's a fair question. I do think the assistant pool is going to increase, and I'd hope we'd see Wells (if he got the job) not just bring his entire USU staff here like MM did 6 years ago. Like I said in a post a few days ago-Are there more attractive options out there? No question. That said, you don't ignore this guy because he coaches in the Mountain West right now.

I am not ignoring him because of the MWC, but that 2015-2017 stretch just seems like a major red flag. What happened? 1-7 in conference just two years ago?

Anderson went to Wisconsin where they wouldn’t help him get in Poly linemen with questionable academics and he had a jerk AD. He went to OSU where he had a break down. Anderson and Well’s are two very different guys. In my personal dealings with both, Anderson is a bit weird, Wells isn’t.

All that said, Wells hasn’t recruited at this level. He could be great, or he could be Mike Mac.

i know it is mostly the trauma inflicted by our past lower division hires, but i find myself immediately recoiling from any g5 hc. that's probably too tunnel-visioned but that's where i am.

Lukewarm on this one. I do think he is a pretty good HC, but he would be lower on the list IMO.

Back