What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mike Sanford – OC/Interim Head Coach University of Colorado

Dude. I'm referring to the guy who said he wanted to ban me.

You can be quite the prick sometimes.
relax-- no one is actually getting banned. jensie is merely expressing with appropriate hyperbole the absurdity of handing this guy the job at this point in time.

it is all good!

even rg is going to wait and see who out there is interested in the job and weigh that against the performance the rest of the way. gotta play it all out.

Big props to Sanford. I find him to be really likable and I am truly rooting for his success. The simple change in energy and personality alone gives us so much more of a chance to win than we ever had with KD. If he continues doing a good job, he definitely earns some consideration. That being said, unless he does the impossible and like, gets us to bowl eligibility while looking fairly dominant, I don't foresee any way I end up favoring him to become HC. It's important that we recognize KD was so far below the bare minimum acceptable in so many very standard areas; we shouldn't look to Sanford and others having a pulse as this incredible selling point because... it really only gets that status by comparing to previous coach who, quite frankly, seemed to lack a pulse entirely.

But yesterday was really nice and really special, and I think he deserves to feel a lot of pride and accomplishment. Let's keep it rolling!

Last edited:
Big props to Sanford. I find him to be really likable and I am truly rooting for his success. The simple change in energy and personality alone gives us so much more of a chance to win than we ever had with KD. If he continues doing a good job, he definitely earns some consideration. That being said, unless he does the impossible and like, gets us to bowl eligibility while looking fairly dominant, I don't foresee any way I end up favoring him to become HC. It's important that we recognize KD was so far below the bare minimum acceptable in so many very standard areas; we shouldn't look to Sanford and others having a pulse as this incredible selling point because... it really only gets that status by comparing to previous coach who, quite frankly, seemed to lack a pulse entirely.

But yesterday was really nice and really special, and I think he deserves to feel a lot of pride and accomplishment. Let's keep it rolling!
I like what I've seen so far from him and Chatman in particular. He's in week two of a eight week job interview.

I'm keeping an open mind on him.

I like what I've seen so far from him and Chatman in particular. He's in week two of a eight week job interview.

I'm keeping an open mind on him.
He's still an offensive coach who's offense had been horrible. If it was the O that played great yesterday then it would make more sense. There are lots of coaches that bring more than just motivation to the table.

You’re all drunk on ONE FREAKIN’ WIN. Reality will come crashing down on us again next week when the Beavs wax us by 27.
Animated GIF

I like Sanford as a personality and actually think he could be a decent CEO coach IF he's willing to completely turn over the keys to the offense to someone else.

CU can't go this route though. We need a coach that owns their side of the ball, we don't have the money to spend big on 2 coordinators.

He's still an offensive coach who's offense had been horrible. If it was the O that played great yesterday then it would make more sense. There are lots of coaches that bring more than just motivation to the table.
Again, I would prefer not to go that way. He's a backburner candidate until he loses a couple games......and then he's totally off the table.

Last edited:
I like Sanford as a personality and actually think he could be a decent CEO coach IF he's willing to completely turn over the keys to the offense to someone else.

CU can't go this route though. We need a coach that owns their side of the ball, we don't have the money to spend big on 2 coordinators.
I’m not advocating for this move, but if he were willing to take the job at a discount, say, $2M a year, you could have 2 $1M/year coordinators and a great staff the rest of the way as well.

Again, not my plan a or b, but it could work.

Thread should be locked until such time that the Buffs are at least 5-6. Anything short of that merits no consideration whatsoever. Sanford went 9-16 (.360) at WKU and 0-1 in bowl games; the guy before him went 30-10 (0.750) and 3-0 in bowl games. The guy after him has gone 27-19 (.587) and is 2-1 in bowl games.

As to retaining him as a position coach: Sanford has pretty well established track record of regressing QBs under his coaching as QB coach. His offenses were good at Boise State and ND, but how much of that was the system vs. him? His offense was mediocre at WKU and Minnesota.

I’m not advocating for this move, but if he were willing to take the job at a discount, say, $2M a year, you could have 2 $1M/year coordinators and a great staff the rest of the way as well.

Again, not my plan a or b, but it could work.
A $1m caliber coordinator is not going to come work for Mike Sanford. That dynamic would completely undermine the hierarchy of a staff.

Also, and this isn’t directed at you, why are we suggesting that Sanford is an effective CEO??? He’s been an interim for one game, and had two full weeks to prep for the 3rd or 4th worst team in the conference, and it took overtime AT HOME to win.

IMO, this is like seeing the McChesney motivational speech and saying that he should be given the DL job. It’s completely nonsensical and is playing entirely on the emotions of getting a win in the first game after two bad coaches got fired

Sanford is coaching for his next job, not this one. If he can get this team to show a pulse, he will get a shot at another gig, possibly even a HC gig at a G5 school. Hiring him as the full time HC here would be the ultimate white flag.

IDK if he's the guy...but I am pleased that we apparently have the talent to win some games...also betrays what a horrible HC KD was...

A $1m caliber coordinator is not going to come work for Mike Sanford. That dynamic would completely undermine the hierarchy of a staff.

Also, and this isn’t directed at you, why are we suggesting that Sanford is an effective CEO??? He’s been an interim for one game, and had two full weeks to prep for the 3rd or 4th worst team in the conference, and it took overtime AT HOME to win.

IMO, this is like seeing the McChesney motivational speech and saying that he should be given the DL job. It’s completely nonsensical and is playing entirely on the emotions of getting a win in the first game after two bad coaches got fired
On that note, we do have fans who want McChesney to be DL coach under HC Sanford. Some of them think it all works if we can make Walters a big enough offer to be our DC. And some would still like Chev back in some role (WR/Recruiting Coordinator, OC/WR, or HC).

Fans gonna be fans. Just like there were some Broncos fans who thought it was a mistake when Elway signed Manning as a FA.

On that note, we do have fans who want McChesney to be DL coach under HC Sanford. Some of them think it all works if we can make Walters a big enough offer to be our DC. And some would still like Chev back in some role (WR/Recruiting Coordinator, OC/WR, or HC).

Fans gonna be fans. Just like there were some Broncos fans who thought it was a mistake when Elway signed Manning as a FA.
Can Logan and Sanford form a co-HC dream team with Hagan as associate head coach?

i am not ready to anoint him the next coming of Coach Mac because he won a game. i do however appreciate the huge changes he got into place in a short time and i will remain open-minded.

he's already proven to be better than kd pretty much at everything a hc needs to do but that is not the bar we need to cross.
Still we won a game, we won't go winless, and for that, I am thankful.

A couple more catches and we are singing the praises of the offense too.

A couple more catches and we are singing the praises of the offense too.
This is true. Design, timing of the calls, protection, getting open & delivery all there. Physical mistakes of just not catching the damn ball or we'd have scored over 20 in regulation. Add in some key whiffs by OL which cost us points.

Holy ****. They got the kids pizza AND had a “Ralphie Bowl”? Mike Sanford gets it. He should definitely be considered to take over this program after one win and a pizza party.

He would already have the job if he would have remembered the orange slices.

Back