What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Morgan Scalley - DC Utah

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
1581562827610.jpeg
2008-Utah
2016-Defensive Coordinator
Safeties
2015Special Teams Coordinator
Safeties
Recruiting Coordinator
2009-14Safeties
Recruiting Coordinator
2008Safeties
2006-07Utah
2007Graduate Assistant
Defense
2006Administrative Assistant

Playing Career
Scalley lettered for the Utes from 2001-04 and was the 2004 Mountain West co-Defensive Player of the Year, a second-team All-American by the Associated Press and SI.com and a unanimous first-team all-conference safety. He was a second-team all-MWC defensive back in 2003 and an honorable mention all-MWC punt returner in 2001 and 2002.
As a senior, he captained Utah to 12-0 record, a Fiesta Bowl win over Pittsburgh and a No. 4 national ranking in a historic season in which Utah became the first non-BCS team to play in a BCS bowl game.
Scalley was a two-time first-team Academic All-American (2003-04), the 2004 Anson Mount Scholar Athlete of the Year and the 2004 MWC Scholar Athlete of the Year. He was awarded two post-graduate scholarships, including one from the NCAA.
Scalley was presented with the inaugural Pat Tillman award during the 2005 East-West Shrine Game, recognizing him for his character, intelligence, sportsmanship and service.
After graduating Magna Cum Laude from the U. with a 3.96 GPA, Scalley earned a master’s degree in business.

Education
Utah, 2004
Bachelor’s in mass communication
2003, 2004 Academic All-American
Graduated Magna Cum Laude

Previously, he'd been pursued by UNLV and CSU this year. Utah decided to treat him as basically a coach-in-waitng with a new contract in December in hopes they can keep him. Question is whether he'll wait for a 61 year old Whittingham to retire or pursue something.

He's considered a great recruiter, his defenses have been nails and he's been putting a bunch of dudes in the NFL.

my main thing on him would be he's just a Utah lifer. Not the end of the world, but I'd prefer a guy that has spent some time at the blue bloods..

but Utah was also a game away from the CFP so maybe they're doing something right
It's weird that by the end of today it has become a negative that a coach was very loyal to a school in his career. :unsure:

Could leverage us a lot like Ryan Day did last year, but worth a look
He leveraged the earlier offers. He will need to say no, or yes quickly. Utah won’t counter again.

He is young and driven.

Definitely like that he has kinda been a mini Whittingham. Time as recruiting coordinator, ST coordinator, and DC

There is a church component that makes BYU and UU a bit different than other schools.
Not as much at Utah. Definitely part of the state culture, though. Could be a positive for CU with recruiting that state more effectively, as we need to do.

Another point in his (and Alfano's) favor is that if we hire them, we weaken conference opponents. That's always helpful.

I guess my feeling there is that isn't a bad thing with everyone, but when a guy is thought to be the heir apparent, you have to wonder if he's gonna leave as soon as Kyle's done.
If you're pretty secure that a guy will only leave for 1 job, I'll take that security.

Once he had success, we'd just need to be prepared to write a contract like Iowa State did for Rhodes, probably.

If you're pretty secure that a guy will only leave for 1 job, I'll take that security.

Once he had success, we'd just need to be prepared to write a contract like Iowa State did for Rhodes, probably.
We'd also have the very realistic ability to match or even exceed any money he'd get from UU. Can't say that about approximately 40 other schools.

I guess my feeling there is that isn't a bad thing with everyone, but when a guy is thought to be the heir apparent, you have to wonder if he's gonna leave as soon as Kyle's done.
Kyle has previously stated he won’t coach past 65. So yes, the window is small.

I do not see him leaving. Graduated from Utah and is the heir apparent to Whittingham. Would not be a horrible hire if we got him.

I do not see him leaving. Graduated from Utah and is the heir apparent to Whittingham. Would not be a horrible hire if we got him.
Why would an LDS guy want to coach in Boulder? Maybe not impossible, but a real awkward fit.

This guy must have played under nick satan, right? From '01 - '04? Are we going to get another of his guys a raise?

Last edited:
Back