What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

National Championship Thread

Who will win the national championship?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Why do you think that the rule is working and would be compromised if they only tossed people for headhunting?

As it stands, the rule is unpopular with players, coaches, fans and broadcasters. Hard to imagine that not leading to change.
I don't have the exact stats but the number called appears to have peaked in 2017 and was down in 2019 as compared to 2018. The rule has been in place since 2007 with the ejection starting in 2013 and replay initiated calls in 2016 or 2017. The rise in calls was related to increased enforcement. The decrease from 2018 can be partially attributed to the change in the standard for replay confirmation but not completely. The main reason why it is working is because players are more educated to the penalty and are changing technique to avoid the penalty. Any reduction in the penalty changes that calculus. Without the threat of ejection, players would be more willing to push the boundaries knowing the worst result is 15 yards. Players don't factor injury risk into their thinking. I think the only unpopularity is with the "old school" crowd. The rule will never be eliminated, nor will the penalty be changed any time soon. There is too much liability risk.

It is and always has been a f*cked rule that's not needed, because there is already PERSONAL FOUL penaltys. Get rid of the rule as it sucks. Every time a defensive player lays the wood a damn flag comes out 90% of the time and the talking heads just add on convincing pussies oh that's a hard hit we can't have that. GTFOH
Well that is your opinion and it is completely incompatible with today's game. Your line of thinking would result in the end of the game. Rules are made to keep the game safe when played within those bounds. I don't know what your definition of "laying the wood" is, but penalties are not called on 90% of hard hits.

I don't have the exact stats but the number called appears to have peaked in 2017 and was down in 2019 as compared to 2018. The rule has been in place since 2007 with the ejection starting in 2013 and replay initiated calls in 2016 or 2017. The rise in calls was related to increased enforcement. The decrease from 2018 can be partially attributed to the change in the standard for replay confirmation but not completely. The main reason why it is working is because players are more educated to the penalty and are changing technique to avoid the penalty. Any reduction in the penalty changes that calculus. Without the threat of ejection, players would be more willing to push the boundaries knowing the worst result is 15 yards. Players don't factor injury risk into their thinking. I think the only unpopularity is with the "old school" crowd. The rule will never be eliminated, nor will the penalty be changed any time soon. There is too much liability risk.

Well that is your opinion and it is completely incompatible with today's game. Your line of thinking would result in the end of the game. Rules are made to keep the game safe when played within those bounds. I don't know what your definition of "laying the wood" is, but penalties are not called on 90% of hard hits.
During games how many times on a brutal blow is your first reaction is Oh you can't do that were's the flag, I find myself saying it. Then you see replay and go nope good hit. I'm 100% on getting rid of hits that are done with intent to cause harm, I played so long ago that everyone was taught Head Up Tackling then, we were also taught to put the hat on the ball. Exactly what that play was all the way around, a damn good Football play that should never been flagged. They really need to get rid of that rule as it is written. But I'm being a bit of a dog and his bone on this so I'll just chill on it. I do agree with you as I don't want to see anyone needlessly hurt either.

but undefeated.

In the sense that they played the #1 teams in the SEC, PAC, and Big Ten plus nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas, and #1 Notre Dame. They only lost to the Jeff George Illini.
Tennessee won the SEC & Washington won the PAC.

Murderer's row schedule.

I was at Folsom for the game against #3 Washington. Deon Figures broke up three consecutive Mark Brunell passes in the end zone to preserve a 4 point win

Last edited:
In the sense that they played the #1 teams in the SEC, PAC, and Big Ten plus ****braska, Oklahoma, Texas, and #1 Notre Dame. They only lost to the Jeff George Illini.
Tennessee won the SEC & Washington won the PAC.

Murderer's row schedule.

I was at Folsom for the game against #3 Washington. Deon Figures broke up three consecutive Mark Brunell passes in the end zone to preserve a 4 point win

Jeff George was gone after 89. I cant remember who their qb was in 90, but it wasn't George.

Then they beat George in '89. That's good.

That was a fun day. Walking to the stadium, some Illinois fan turned to me and said, “we’re going to kick your ass.” Being a cocky smartass, I merely smirked. Didn’t see him after the game though.

After I saw Jeff George turtle all afternoon, I thought, that guy cost himself a lot of money today. After he got picked number 1 by the Colts, I couldn’t stop laughing. How anybody would think that a pussy like Jeff George would be a winning qb in the league escaped me. He ended up getting at least 3 of his head coaches fired.

but undefeated.
Wasn't EB suspended for the Tennessee game? I've watched that Illinois game a few times over the years. They had every opportunity to win that one. Before I exit stage left, I want to see us win one with no ****ing questions. If not, at least I was alive to see one natty. (y)

OBJ was being a complete dip**** that entire night but really you need to issue an arrest warrant for that?
No, not really. My dad was a cop for a few years in Friona, Texas. It was before I was born. Anyway, once I got older, he gave me advice on this kind of thing. His words were this, I never forgot them. " I don't give a **** if a cop is giving you a tough time or whatever, don't ever put your hands on them." " You give those assholes a reason to charge you with something, even if it's harmless, they'll do it. "

No, not really. My dad was a cop for a few years in Friona, Texas. It was before I was born. Anyway, once I got older, he gave me advice on this kind of thing. His words were this, I never forgot them. " I don't give a **** if a cop is giving you a tough time or whatever, don't ever put your hands on them." " You give those assholes a reason to charge you with something, even if it's harmless, they'll do it. "
Your pops wasn't a fan of ass taps eh?

Back