What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NCAA Transfer Portal and the Buffs

Relax? I am not stressed out,

it's just a reality that Viska needs to do whats best for Viska and that most likely means healing and being cautious about getting worn down this year.

This is a related question to the future QB Room?
I think Brendon Lewis is going to be a great QB and the future of the program, but I noticed that the following player is now in the Portal:

TCU Transfer Justin Rogers, 6'-4", 210 lbs, Louisiana kid
Stuck behind Duggan at TCU and entered the Portal on 10/31/19
Originally offered by Georgia, so it is likely that Jay Johnson knows him???

Thoughts???

I think Brendon Lewis is going to be a great QB and the future of the program, but I noticed that the following player is now in the Portal:

Thoughts???

Yes please

Thoughts???

On the surface looks pretty good, fan reaction seems similar to Moretti for us (though not injured, just well liked by fans). Would he still sit a year? If the could play immediately that would be awesome. And I'm sure Mel remembers every recruit Georgia was going after...

On the surface looks pretty good, fan reaction seems similar to Moretti for us (though not injured, just well liked by fans). Would he still sit a year? If the could play immediately that would be awesome. And I'm sure Mel remembers every recruit Georgia was going after...

He did not appear in any games in 2019, so essentially depending on his redshirt situation, and possibly other Medical options from his Freshman year, he should be eligible this year and would seemingly be able to compete with Lewis, Lytle, and Stenstrom.

And here is a corner from Texas that we offered, and Georgia offered when Tucker was all over the DB's

May have spoke to soon, just saw an article from Illinois that he wants to move back to WR (like he was in HS) and that it looks like it is coming down to Houston and Illinois!!! Premature Transfer Portulation

He did not appear in any games in 2019, so essentially depending on his redshirt situation, and possibly other Medical options from his Freshman year, he should be eligible this year and would seemingly be able to compete with Lewis, Lytle, and Stenstrom.
Even if he did use his redshirt, wouldn’t he still have to sit out a year since he’s not a grad transfer? God damn transfer rules are so confusing..

Even if he did use his redshirt, wouldn’t he still have to sit out a year since he’s not a grad transfer? God damn transfer rules are so confusing..
4Bienemy:

I think that you are talking about Rodgers the QB out of TCU. I believe in his case the answer is unfortunately YES, he has to sit out a year. Only the Grad Transfers have the immediate eligibility as of right. About a month ago, I did read a bunch of articles and rules outlining the tightening of the Transfer Portal waiver/appeal rules. Over the summer the NCAA tightened the waiver/appeals process curtailing waivers for players to play immediately unless you transfer to a school like 100 miles from home. The consensus is now granting a waiver/appeal will be a rare exception. There is some ambiguous language that permits some rare exceptions, on a case by case basis. The NCAA does recognize there are some special situations where they want to do right by the player. I think the new regulations are like a new law, and the NCAA on a case by case basis will explain the interpretation.

The main purpose behind the changes was preserving the competitive balance, not just for schools in the transfer's conference but for future common opponents and unknown common opponents (i.e. the NCAA is not granting waivers around big schools that have a realistic shot at playing in the CFB playoff). Since Lewis joined the portal over the last few weeks, he was on TCU for most of the season, and although he did not play in a game, he was part of game planning for all of TCU's opponents. Even if TCU "approved the transfer," since he was in on film sessions, game planning, perhaps on the scout team, etc... he most likely has to sit out to a season preserve fairness for TCU and TCU's opponents.

Alfano is a good candidate for a waiver/appeal since he had the serious family situation and basically left BAMA before the season even started. It is almost as of September and through fall practice he was absent from the team. Although, it is possible be may have dressed for one game of BAMA's OOC's games, he was for all intents and purposes not on the team for game planning, opponent film sessions, scout team, etc... Therefore, his appeal/waiver prospects look better. CU is nowhere near his conference nor a real candidate for the college playoff over the next few years. Also, very doubtful CU would ever play BAMA (it would have to be a crap bowl) and on CU's schedule the only common upcoming opponent is Texas A&M, which BAMA played like 8 games into the season, so probably no wiff of game planning or film study on them.

Granting the waiver/appeal, will be the NCAA looking at Alfano's special situation and finding he was not really on BAMA for any significant time this fall season + special circumstances (although he is not going back to NJ, the CU destination is in his best interests given the unique circumstances) + lack of prejudice next year to CU opponents including perspective opponents in a bowl game. For example, if Alfano transferred to Ohio State, Notre Dame, Michigan or Oregon (all far away from the SEC), the other schools may cry foul if there is a legitimate CFB playoff possibility.

Last edited:
CSU true freshman OG Nouredin Nouili enters transfer portal. One of the true bright spots for the Rams this year. Loss would be a huge blow for them. Would have a redshirt available, then 3 to play 3.

Back