What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NCAA Transfer Portal and the Buffs

I’m surprised we’re going after a TE. Seems we have the numbers, but the staff aren’t happy with the quality

I’m surprised we’re going after a TE. Seems we have the numbers, but the staff aren’t happy with the quality
The offense went to complete crap when Russell got hurt. It's not surprising in the least to me. The TE position seems to be a very integral part of this offense in both the run and pass game.

The numbers are there, the talent isn't, at least in guys who can block and catch.

The offense went to complete crap when Russell got hurt. It's not surprising in the least to me. The TE position seems to be a very integral part of this offense in both the run and pass game.

The numbers are there, the talent isn't, at least in guys who can block and catch.
Olsen and Fauria should be able to help. Stillwell needs to show something this year or hit the portal.

If you can improve a position with talent you do it. This program needs it at every position and I don't think its an either or situation with how the transfer portal is right now.
Even if they both turn out to be excellent players this is a guy that the team can use.

Run two TE sets frequently there are plenty of snaps to share with three guys.

This is a guy who was highly rated coming out of HS, had multiple quality P5 offers, and no apparent red flags. If I'm not mistaken he has three years of eligibility left as well so he isn't a short termer

If you can improve a position with talent you do it. This program needs it at every position and I don't think its an either or situation with how the transfer portal is right now.

Have they done anything? Exactly... You don't turn down talent because you THINK the guys have are good.

We will see. This is not the position that deserves the highest level of focus. This staff continues to not get talent. There are areas
I such greater need. He is not rated any better than what we have coming in. Maybe the staff did a horrible job on the last class and this guy can beat them out. Then if so, ouch

We will see. This is not the position that deserves the highest level of focus. This staff continues to not get talent. There are areas
I such greater need. He is not rated any better than what we have coming in. Maybe the staff did a horrible job on the last class and this guy can beat them out. Then if so, ouch
It’s a big position of need and bringing in a highly recruited, veteran player who can play right away is necessary. You also keep saying the staff isn’t bring in talent because of the 2021 class, but they have added Barnes, Lamb and now this TE in the portal to go with a composite 4* LB/S as their first commit in 2022. I think you should just wait and see how things turn out.

It’s a big position of need and bringing in a highly recruited, veteran player who can play right away is necessary. You also keep saying the staff isn’t bring in talent because of the 2021 class, but they have added Barnes, Lamb and now this TE in the portal to go with a composite 4* LB/S as their first commit in 2022. I think you should just wait and see how things turn out.
We will see. Not agreeing he will be better than Fauria etc. waiting and seeing. 5 or less wins coming up

As I mentioned above, its not an either or situation. With how the transfer portal is now, especially this year, you can turn your team around pretty quickly. Ultimately, they could bring in a transfer at every position if they desire to if they thought it would improve the talent and they most certainly could.

I think it is an area of need if you watched any of the offense after Russell went down. Plus, if you think other areas of are of bigger need, then they can still go and get that. They can get as many transfers as they want and it seems that is what is going to happen

Adam made a great point yesterday. You would never have seen this with Macintyre or Hawkins. KD is being extremely aggressive in his approach to improve the roster and I just can't wrap my mind around someone not wanting that.

As I mentioned above, its not an either or situation. With how the transfer portal is now, especially this year, you can turn your team around pretty quickly. Ultimately, they could bring in a transfer at every position if they desire to if they thought it would improve the talent and they most certainly could.

I think it is an area of need if you watched any of the offense after Russell went down. Plus, if you think other areas of are of bigger need, then they can still go and get that. They can get as many transfers as they want and it seems that is what is going to happen

Adam made a great point yesterday. You would never have seen this with Macintyre or Hawkins. KD is being extremely aggressive in his approach to improve the roster and I just can't wrap my mind around someone not wanting that.
Agree to a point. You will have to trim the roster to make room for these kids. I get that we can upgrade the roster with the portal and I a huge proponent of doing so. Just do it in positions of greatest need. TE, based on the guys that should be available this next year, is not the highest priority.

But I do agree on upgrading as much of the roster as possible in the biggest need areas. Managing numbers will be interesting for this staff. We will see how aggressively they push kids out.

Agree to a point. You will have to trim the roster to make room for these kids. I get that we can upgrade the roster with the portal and I a huge proponent of doing so. Just do it in positions of greatest need. TE, based on the guys that should be available this next year, is not the highest priority.

But I do agree on upgrading as much of the roster as possible in the biggest need areas. Managing numbers will be interesting for this staff. We will see how aggressively they push kids out.
But I think when you look at the roster by position, there is a strong argument that TE is definitely one of the weakest in both talent and depth. It’s for sure the worst on offense along with Tackle, but they are clearly working to improve that as well. On defense, S/ILB are probably the worst and they’ve already brought in two talented guys there, and will likely add another DB via portal.

But I think when you look at the roster by position, there is a strong argument that TE is definitely one of the weakest in both talent and depth. It’s for sure the worst on offense along with Tackle, but they are clearly working to improve that as well. On defense, S/ILB are probably the worst and they’ve already brought in two talented guys there, and will likely add another DB via portal.
Another DB/S, and tackle seem to be the biggest needs at this point if they land Toll. Probably see some transfers after spring ball as well after they see what they've got for 2021

Assuming the guys the recruited are failures without ever playing a down. Both were pretty highly regarded. If they missed that badly then yes, this is a position of need.

Assuming the guys the recruited are failures without ever playing a down. Both were pretty highly regarded. If they missed that badly then yes, this is a position of need.
Why does adding one veteran player mean the guys they recruited are failures before playing a down? Sorry man, I am just at a loss about what you’re complaining about here.

Considering they are both young, it could mean that they just aren't ready yet. What happened when we lost Russell las year?

Why does adding one veteran player mean the guys they recruited are failures before playing a down? Sorry man, I am just at a loss about what you’re complaining about here.
Continuing to doubt that this is the great position of need. Using a roster spot when they have so many other holes to fill. So many. Check a box, they have a TE. And for all saying thenO dropped off when Russel went down, that was not the issue. Offense was not well called, forgot about running the ball and a QB that D coordinators had enough tape on to know how to stop (in addition to his shoulder injury). TE was not the problem

Continuing to doubt that this is the great position of need. Using a roster spot when they have so many other holes to fill. So many. Check a box, they have a TE. And for all saying thenO dropped off when Russel went down, that was not the issue. Offense was not well called, forgot about running the ball and a QB that D coordinators had enough tape on to know how to stop (in addition to his shoulder injury). TE was not the problem
TE has been a major issue for years, but I guess we can just agree to disagree on that. I just don’t see the reason for criticism, though. The team lacks front line talent at a few positions, TE included, and lacks depth just about everywhere.

Out of curiosity, what positions do you think are in worse shape than TE?

If we do not upgrade almost every spot on the D, we better be able to score at will because we are not going to stop anyone

That is my point. The O is going to be ok. Not great but OK. The D is going to get shredded next year and the depth is abysmal almost across the board.

If we do not upgrade almost every spot on the D, we better be able to score at will because we are not going to stop anyone
And the entire point is that it’s not either/or. They have added two immediate starters in the portal and will likely add at least one or two more. Defense is clearly their priority. Just feels like you are looking hard for something to complain about, when everything the staff has done so far this offseason has been on point.

Back