What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Nebraska game

I could see that as well and dependent on the opponent. Like I said, we'll get 30 different combos during the non-con schedule anyway. Tad's M.O.
Fair point.

I was very impressed with Hadley. Also the improvement in LL. He no longer looks lost, and only 1 PF was impressive to me.

The one thing ng I'll disagree with on O'Brien is he still needs to look for his shot. As I remember, the tech they used to track shots said he was easily the best shooter on the team.

The one thing ng I'll disagree with on O'Brien is he still needs to look for his shot. As I remember, the tech they used to track shots said he was easily the best shooter on the team.
I worked a few of his high school games-that's been a problem for him IMO before he got to CU. Relies on his teammates way too much to create for him.

I worked a few of his high school games-that's been a problem for him IMO before he got to CU. Relies on his teammates way too much to create for him.
Given this roster, it's perfectly fine for him to have his teammates create for him. He should never be the 1st, 2nd or even 3rd offensive option in most lineups Tad puts out there. He'll get enough wide open 3's and crash the offensive boards to average 5 ppg.

O'Brien brings energy, defense, and rebounding off the bench. He's not there to "look for his shot."
I agree.

But he has to be willing to shoot it when wide open on the wing or in the corner. Too often, he freezes, can't find anyone to pass to, and ends up forcing a drive into trouble instead of taking the open J.

He has got to take those natural open shots within the offense.

I agree.

But he has to be willing to shoot it when wide open on the wing or in the corner. Too often, he freezes, can't find anyone to pass to, and ends up forcing a drive into trouble instead of taking the open J.

He took 2 open 3's yesterday that were within the offense. He did miss them both, but got an offensive board off one of the misses.

I agree.

This is more what I was alluding to. I didn't mean he needs to go out and try to put up 15 shots a game, but he needs to put up the open looks his teammates get for him. His spot up shooting is generally really good, and I think he can be a 40% shooter from 3 averaging 3 or 4 looks a night off spot ups.

I agree.

Agreed.

Shoots 3 times a game. Makes 2. Data analytics team says "66% FG shooter!"

Sounds like a perfect scenario for a guy to become a scrappy board crasher who can avg 6-7ppg getting "ugly" buckets and occassionally hitting a clutch 3. No way should he be trying to find his shot.

O'Brien brings energy, defense, and rebounding off the bench. He's not there to "look for his shot."
Just be shot ready when it does come his way. A lot of dudes make a living doing just that. If energy, defense, and rebounding are your strength, use it. Let the O come along when need be.

I agree.

Sorry, didn't see your post.

Shoots 3 times a game. Makes 2. Data analytics team says "66% FG shooter!"
Not data analytics. They used actually technology stuff to track shooting in practice. The data said he's the best shooter on the team, so maybe do a little research before you say stupid ****.

Not data analytics. They used actually technology stuff to track shooting in practice. The data said he's the best shooter on the team, so maybe do a little research before you say stupid ****.
First off, I like you on here. So, this is in no way personal. That said,
1) "Technology stuff"
2) "Practice"

All good. Let's go win 24!

One thing that would raise our ceiling significantly would be if ruffin continues to develop and take minutes. The tools are there and we need to give kj scoring help.

Do we have anyone besides KJ that can create something out of nothing?

One thing that would raise our ceiling significantly would be if ruffin continues to develop and take minutes. The tools are there and we need to give kj scoring help.

In the open court, Cliff can. Half court sets, I don't think we have a Carlon or Alec we can clear out for so that's gonna be KJ if thinks get bogged down.

Da Silva and Hadley both appear to have the ability. Hoping Allen is on that list. In general, I thought the offense flowed a lot better than years past. I think part of this was not having a big guy in the post they were trying to feed. We got way more paint touches off of skip passes and dribble drives off ball fakes. Despite some cold shooting we consistently got good looks. No one looked hesitant with the ball in their hands. Generally when CU struggles we see a lot of forced shots at the end of the shot clock. If anything the team was over passing. Not sure how much of this is attributed to the Nubs just not being that good.

I also felt we were a bit more aggressive defensively. More tipped balls and live ball turnovers. Gibbideon and Hadley both created good pressure. Again not sure how much of this is good defense and how much is the team they played being bad.

Da Silva and Hadley both appear to have the ability. Hoping Allen is on that list. In general, I thought the offense flowed a lot better than years past. I think part of this was not having a big guy in the post they were trying to feed. We got way more paint touches off of skip passes and dribble drives off ball fakes. Despite some cold shooting we consistently got good looks. No one looked hesitant with the ball in their hands. Generally when CU struggles we see a lot of forced shots at the end of the shot clock. If anything the team was over passing. Not sure how much of this is attributed to the Nubs just not being that good.

I also felt we were a bit more aggressive defensively. More tipped balls and live ball turnovers. Gibbideon and Hadley both created good pressure. Again not sure how much of this is good defense and how much is the team they played being bad.
Agree on the offense flowing better. Disagree on the cause. I think we have fewer ball stoppers on the team. We do have a big guy, but he just looks to pass for the most part. Although Nebraska mostly doubled Lawson every time he touch the ball near the basket until late in the game. That was good practice for him, because he's terrible at handling double teams right now. Seem to do better as the game went. Jevon Hadley was a big reason the offense flowed. So much movement.

Agree on the offense flowing better. Disagree on the cause. I think we have fewer ball stoppers on the team. We do have a big guy, but he just looks to pass for the most part. Although Nebraska mostly doubled Lawson every time he touch the ball near the basket until late in the game. That was good practice for him, because he's terrible at handling double teams right now. Seem to do better as the game went. Jevon Hadley was a big reason the offense flowed. So much movement.
Yes I was thinking more they don't force the ball in to Lovering like they did with Battey and Walker. But also Lovering is the only big. When he is off the floor they were running 5 out. You are definitely right there are fewer guys where the ball just sticks with the while everyone stands around at watches.

Just be shot ready when it does come his way. A lot of dudes make a living doing just that. If energy, defense, and rebounding are your strength, use it. Let the O come along when need be.
He isn't one of those guys who can't shoot the ball and shouldn't try.

You need him though to do two things on the offensive end shooting. Sometimes he is going to end up with a shot that shouldn't be passed up because the defense is keyed on other players, take the points.

Second thing is to look for and take enough good shots that defenses can't simply forget about him and overload on other players. Even if he isn't a regular focus of the offense he needs to be enough of a threat to keep defenders honest leaving room for the better scorers to work.

And if a team insist on focusing on other guys not a negative if he ends up with 15-18 points in an individual game.

He isn't one of those guys who can't shoot the ball and shouldn't try.

You need him though to do two things on the offensive end shooting. Sometimes he is going to end up with a shot that shouldn't be passed up because the defense is keyed on other players, take the points.

Second thing is to look for and take enough good shots that defenses can't simply forget about him and overload on other players. Even if he isn't a regular focus of the offense he needs to be enough of a threat to keep defenders honest leaving room for the better scorers to work.

And if a team insist on focusing on other guys not a negative if he ends up with 15-18 points in an individual game.
Andre Roberson was a willing and at least serviceable 3 point shooter in college. O'Brien is a better shooter than that by a mile. I think we're all in agreement on Luke needing to take his open looks

LOB knows his role, which is dictated by Tad and the coaching staff, and has played it well. He’s a menace. He fights for every rebound and loose ball and makes the other team work for anything they get. He’ll take and make some open shots, but knows he’s not option A, B, or C and doesn’t have the full green light. You love this guy on this team. He’s not going to be dominant on offense and asking for that seems weird to me.

Edit: I guess no one is asking for offensive dominance, but point remains. Asking him to do more could end up in him being less efficient for the team. Everyone has a job. He’s doing his.

Last edited:
LOB knows his role, which is dictated by Tad and the coaching staff, and has played it well. He’s a menace. He fights for every rebound and loose ball and makes the other team work for anything they get. He’ll take and make some open shots, but knows he’s not option A, B, or C and doesn’t have the full green light. You love this guy on this team. He’s not going to be dominant on offense and asking for that seems weird to me.

Edit: I guess no one is asking for offensive dominance, but point remains. Asking him to do more could end up in him being less efficient for the team. Everyone has a job. He’s doing his.
This is one hundred percent right. And overstepping can kill a team. I mean, I remember when I thought I needed to start jacking shots up in HS one day. I let it fly repeatedly in practice. And that's when coach called me over and sat me down. "Goose, you need to know your role. Do what you do best. Which is sit on the bench and serve as motivation to our best player to know that if he effs up he has to watch you play." And from that day on, that's all I did.

This is one hundred percent right. And overstepping can kill a team. I mean, I remember when I thought I needed to start jacking shots up in HS one day. I let it fly repeatedly in practice. And that's when coach called me over and sat me down. "Goose, you need to know your role. Do what you do best. Which is sit on the bench and serve as motivation to our best player to know that if he effs up he has to watch you play." And from that day on, that's all I did.
#UnsungHero

Back