What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Need clarification

SEC "leftovers", particularly the ones that don't actually hold any SEC offers, will not elevate this program to win big in the Pac 12.
Yeah, I don't buy this "those SEC 3 stars are way better than west coast 3 stars" bull****. It sounds way too familiar to the "MacIntyre has an eye for NFL talent. Those 2 stars he is recruiting are really 4 star talents" that people used to push around here.

My initial thoughts are that Tucker is going to need to upgrade the coaching staff in certain spots, we are getting really good recruiting from some areas and mediocre recruiting in other areas. I was expecting recruiting to be better. But I'm in wait and see mode right now

How could we expect better recruiting? no matter how good of a salesman our coaches are, or how great our campus is, we are not going to be able to fill an entire class with upper level talent until we start winning. The fact that we got Lee and Wray to buy in does say something to MT ability to sell this program, that has been dog **** for 10+ years (excluding 1 year). Are we really talking about replacing coaches, who have not coached 1 minute in 1 ****ing game?

How could we expect better recruiting? no matter how good of a salesman our coaches are, or how great our campus is, we are not going to be able to fill an entire class with upper level talent until we start winning. The fact that we got Lee and Wray to buy in does say something to MT ability to sell this program, that has been dog **** for 10+ years (excluding 1 year). Are we really talking about replacing coaches, who have not coached 1 minute in 1 ****ing game?
QB, OL, WR, TE, CB,and LB recruiting all seem to be going pretty well without winning. I think we all just ask for DL recruiting to match those other positions.

I’m more concerned with the in-state recruiting than the DL, which was stacked pretty good in this years recruiting class. It was an incredible year in Colorado and they left in droves. I thought Tucker would get better response from these local kids.

I will give Tucker somewhat of a pass for in-state recruiting this year because the momentum was hampered by how the last staff approached in-season recruiting. It helped to kill any in-state progress that might have been made when Tucker too over.

That said, the 2021 in-state class looks strong again. If you see the same amount of misses, that is a big red flag.

QB, OL, WR, TE, CB,and LB recruiting all seem to be going pretty well without winning. I think we all just ask for DL recruiting to match those other positions.
Ok, I dont following the different recruiting sights as much as some on here. So I am sure I will be enlightened quickly. Rivals has all of our recruits as 3* and all between a 5.5-5.7. That includes our DL prospects. I know that is just one sight but I dont have the time to look at them all. So whats the difference between our DL and other positions?

SEC "leftovers", particularly the ones that don't actually hold any SEC offers, will not elevate this program to win big in the Pac 12.
"Leftovers" is not the best word.

Let's call them "SEC Region, Tier Three Kids." They are from the south and have some SEC interest but are being recruited mostly by Conf-USA teams with Ole Miss, Miss State, and Arkansas either offering or showing interest. These are the kind of kids that primarily make up the rosters of UCF, FAU, Memphis and Houston.

Who doesn't think that UCF, FAU, Memphis and Houston wouldn't have a winning record if they were in the Pac-12?

In fact, in most of the last decade or so I would gladly have traded the talent on those teams for the talent on the Buffs. So my point is that the 3 star kids from that region are better than the 3 star kids from Southern Cal and (outside of Texas) our traditional recruiting footprint.

Ok, I dont following the different recruiting sights as much as some on here. So I am sure I will be enlightened quickly. Rivals has all of our recruits as 3* and all between a 5.5-5.7. That includes our DL prospects. I know that is just one sight but I dont have the time to look at them all. So whats the difference between our DL and other positions?
The difference is that there is a difference between 5.5 and 5.7 rating on Rivals. The 5.5 is pretty much the very low end of the 3* spectrum that is automatically handed out to any recruit with a reported P5 offer (for the most part). 5.7 rating is the high end of 3* and on the cusp of being considered a 4*. Rivals ratings are weird and I don't look at those much anymore. I like the 247 ratings more as they have both their rating and a composite rating of all the recruiting services aggregated.

Not even match it. DL recruiting is right there with QB recruiting as the most difficult. But we should be winning enough recruiting battles against our current peers (P5 programs who aren't living in the Top 25 or are elite destinations) to fill a class with good talent.

"I only want guys who want to be Buffs," is my favorite recruiting maxim. I hadn't heard it in a while so things must be getting somewhat better.
That has been replaced with, "CU just needs to start winning and recruiting will take off" stance. :eek:

The difference is that there is a difference between 5.5 and 5.7 rating on Rivals. The 5.5 is pretty much the very low end of the 3* spectrum that is automatically handed out to any recruit with a reported P5 offer (for the most part). 5.7 rating is the high end of 3* and on the cusp of being considered a 4*. Rivals ratings are weird and I don't look at those much anymore. I like the 247 ratings more as they have both their rating and a composite rating of all the recruiting services aggregated.
Thanks for the info I will check out 247 I did not know there was that much of a difference between a 5.5 and a 5.7.

I did check out 247 and you are correct, I do like it better.

Not even match it. DL recruiting is right there with QB recruiting as the most difficult. But we should be winning enough recruiting battles against our current peers (P5 programs who aren't living in the Top 25 or are elite destinations) to fill a class with good talent.
So Brumbaugh deserves some criticism right now for the DL recruiting misses. Drake was making a more significant impact in recruiting just a few months ago (wish we could have kept him).

I am willing to let this play out until signing day but if the DL recruiting doesn't improve then changes need to be made. DL and OL are crucial to the long term success of this program.

"Leftovers" is not the best word.

Let's call them "SEC Region, Tier Three Kids." They are from the south and have some SEC interest but are being recruited mostly by Conf-USA teams with Ole Miss, Miss State, and Arkansas either offering or showing interest. These are the kind of kids that primarily make up the rosters of UCF, FAU, Memphis and Houston.

Who doesn't think that UCF, FAU, Memphis and Houston wouldn't have a winning record if they were in the Pac-12?

In fact, in most of the last decade or so I would gladly have traded the talent on those teams for the talent on the Buffs. So my point is that the 3 star kids from that region are better than the 3 star kids from Southern Cal and (outside of Texas) our traditional recruiting footprint.

Considering FAU went 3-5 in whatever trashcan conference they're in last year, I can safely say they probably wouldn't have a winning record in the P12. Memphis and Houston haven't been anything to write home about recently either. I'd rather be beating out Fresno St for California recruits right now.

This is like arguing that SDSU/Fresno St/Boise/BYU (who all play and beat P12 teams from time to time) are what we should be beating out for recruits.

And if we were beating out Miss/Miss St/Arky etc for recruits, that'd be one thing. Go look up the offer lists for several of these guys from the south. Beating out Old Dominion and Louisiana Tech isn't likely to cut it.

That all said, I think we've seen a definite recruiting uptick under Tucker so far, with a few question marks at certain positions. MT needs to quickly identify what coaches aren't pulling their weight and get rid of them after this year. Not give them another year or two, but immediately. This is also really early, Brumbaugh has obviously seemed like a subpar hire so far, but maybe he's a God tier coach and our DL will be super well coached. We haven't even played a game yet.

Back