What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Never seen Brian Howell this frustrated

It's obvious that KD does not have a read on his players, coaches, schemes, or locker room. All he sees is that we've had effective practices with guys making plays and then none of that translating to Saturday. He's in over his head. I don't agree with people saying that KD is mailing things in and collecting a paycheck. The reality is that he's simply not capable of doing the job he was hired for.
The game passed him by.

Not the recruiting aspect, or the portal, or the NIL stuff. I mean he either was never able to do that stuff or it passed him by too.

But on a basic Xs and O's, blocking, tackling and schemes, the game has evolved beyond his capabilities.

What did KD do that qualified him to coach the CU Buffs? Where were his fantastic recruiting and results at UCLA?

It was never going to work out. The fact that someone thought it would shows how disconnected from the athletes and game they were. Herm Edwards was the better hire. Think about how screwed up that statement is.

I wonder if dorrell will panic and throw McKown to the wolves Saturday.
The issues are deeper than one player. So frustrating to see the kids that chose this program so frustrated. I was thinking of Vickers, and Cordell, and Rasham, and…… last night while watching the highlights. I am living in the past while trying to deal with the present.

The issues are deeper than one player. So frustrating to see the kids that chose this program so frustrated. I was thinking of Vickers, and Cordell, and Rasham, and…… last night while watching the highlights. I am living in the past while trying to deal with the present.
Valid point, but "Cordell" and "Rasham."

Just...don't.

I don't think anyone will save dorrell's job or that any one player changes much. Just speculating what he may do.

11 starters plus their backups that were all a cut or two above the level CU recruited, within a program with a good coach and has the momentum of winning 6 straight games.

I thought our main hope was that they'd sleepwalk and then let us hang around. But after how poorly they played vs S Alabama, I think we're going to see a hungry and pissed off UCLA.

No reason to do that to yourself.

11 starters plus their backups that were all a cut or two above the level CU recruited, within a program with a good coach and has the momentum of winning 6 straight games.

I thought our main hope was that they'd sleepwalk and then let us hang around. But after how poorly they played vs S Alabama, I think we're going to see a hungry and pissed off UCLA.
every team the Buffs face the reat of the season are going to be gunning to run the score up, guaranteed

First question from yesterday's chat (it was a good one in general):

Hey Brian. If the Buffs lose their next two, and they’re not all that competitive in either, would you expect George to part ways with Dorrell going into the bye week?
  • Likes0
2010Buff

• a day ago
    I would, yes. In fact, if they lose the next two - especially at Arizona - and they aren't close, I'd be stunned if Dorrell isn't fired.
    • Likes0
    Brian Howell
    1c293ab1-86d6-4c9b-b8f3-5d4e78c8a932.jpg

First question from yesterday's chat (it was a good one in general):

Hey Brian. If the Buffs lose their next two, and they’re not all that competitive in either, would you expect George to part ways with Dorrell going into the bye week?
  • Likes0
2010Buff

• a day ago
    I would, yes. In fact, if they lose the next two - especially at Arizona - and they aren't close, I'd be stunned if Dorrell isn't fired.
    • Likes0
    Brian Howell
    1c293ab1-86d6-4c9b-b8f3-5d4e78c8a932.jpg
I wonder if that is based on any actual knowledge from within the AD or he's just a fan looking on like the rest of us.

I wonder if that is based on any actual knowledge from within the AD or he's just a fan looking on like the rest of us.
It's the latter for sure. No chance Howell or Adam have been fed any kind of info around Dorrell's job security from within the AD. Unless, of course, RG has decided to throw the fan base a bone. Doubt it, though.

It's the latter for sure. No chance Howell or Adam have been fed any kind of info around Dorrell's job security from within the AD. Unless, of course, RG has decided to throw the fan base a bone. Doubt it, though.
Who was it that reported that McIntyre was getting fired? Apparently they had a legit source

SP+ has UCLA's defense right at 50th best in the country. Their passing defense yards allowed and points allowed come in right around the same mark.

The good news is that SP+ has UCLA's defense as the second worst CU will have seen, well behind Minnesota (8th), Air Force (26th), and better than TCU (67th). UCLA has also not played extremely tough offenses, although Southern Alabama's passing attack seems ok.

However, the EPA added (non garbage time) chart that @FM-Buff posted in the Fire Dorrell thread has those defenses as Minnesota, TCU/UCLA close to tied, and then Air Force in terms of Expected Points added.

SP+ says that UCLA is the worst defense CU will face at home for the rest of the year, whereas EPA thinks ASU is much below average, and that Cal is worse than UCLA.

So... long answer short- it wouldn't be the worst idea in the world, but probably not the best, either. Better than trying to start him in November, though.

Who was it that reported that McIntyre was getting fired? Apparently they had a legit source
I can't remember if it was MM being fired or something else, but Vic Lombardi broke some fairly big news a few yeas back. He doesn't tweet about CU often, but he's proven to have a legit source within the AD. Not sure if that person is still there and I haven't seen him tweet much about CU recently.

The game passed him by.

Not the recruiting aspect, or the portal, or the NIL stuff. I mean he either was never able to do that stuff or it passed him by too.

But on a basic Xs and O's, blocking, tackling and schemes, the game has evolved beyond his capabilities.
That might be one of the issues with hiring a guy who has been in the NFL for 14 of the last 15 years. The innovation scheme wise happens at this level-not there. It started when Chip Kelly took over at Oregon, and we've seen others-Lincoln Riley, etc.

With the NFL, how many sitting HCs are off the Mike Shanahan tree? I can think of 6 off the top of my head, and they all run the same offense.

I watch S Frost go from a 'coach of the year' status (like Dan) to looking totally inept, and wonder if he and KD are similarly out-of-touch, or whether maybe **** just happens.

What is going to kill me is Chiaverini will be back in town...

Back