What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NIL act passed - NCAA allows athletes to monetise their name, image, likeness

I agree with a lot, but here's a counterpoint and unintended consequence...

Once the NCAA is no longer in existence or having any kind of oversight, what happens to eligibility rules? What stops the new 32 team league from allowing unlimited eligibility, big contracts, free agency, etc to essentially compete with the NFL, not compliment/support/feed into it?

Why would Trevor Lawrence leave Clemson to get selected #1 overall by the Jags? Why would players choose to enter the NFL draft, where they give up their right to choose where they play, if they're already making NFL-like salaries at the place they actually chose to go live and play?

I don't know what they'd do, but I can't see the NFL standing idly by while their free feeder league, which has the most potential of any other league created to compete with them, basically becomes another version on the NFL, but they accept 17 and 18 year olds.
Could NFL owners buy a top-32 franchise and use it as a minor league team, a la MLB? The top-32 league will struggle with ownership, management and if the right offer is made I could see the NFL consuming it and turning it into a minor league. Billionaires will not relinquish their oligopoly without a fight. The NFL could change their rules and accept anyone over the age of 18 as prospects.

I have a friend who is a tenured professor at an east coast state university in the power five. He tells me that the academics (my term, not his) believe college football will implode on itself very soon, and will finally provide the justification for an end to the semi-pro sports leagues within higher education.

I have a friend who is a tenured professor at an east coast state university in the power five. He tells me that the academics (my term, not his) believe college football will implode on itself very soon, and will finally provide the justification for an end to the semi-pro sports leagues within higher education.
Way too much money involved with too much popularity and tradition for that to happen.

But I do think some things are about to change. I think we're going to be seeing some G5 schools dropping down with football or dropping it all together (modeling the Big East members).

Way too much money involved with too much popularity and tradition for that to happen.

But I do think some things are about to change. I think we're going to be seeing some G5 schools dropping down with football or dropping it all together (modeling the Big East members).
Yes, if the money is there, there will be gripes but nothing will happen. If the athletic departments start relying on the universities general fund, the pressure on individual schools will be significant.

The way I look at it, each school will need a business/donor class willing to contribute at least a few million dollars annually to remain competitive with NIL. I just don’t see more than 15 teams being competitive in any meaningful way. Interest will wane, support will erode. Of course, this is all happening at the time when the sport is hurting in certain key regions, and streaming and cord-cutting is killing viewership in the under 35 demographic.

In the last +- 25 years, there have only been two NCAA champions outside the southeast (including Texas in this region) - USC and Ohio State. In the next 25 years, there is nothing happening now that makes me feel there will be competitive balance outside of the southeast region.

More than that. It's professional now. There's good with that. But it also changes things.
More than what? The amounts aren’t different when adjusting for inflation. The only difference is public knowledge. They’re still not professionals. They just have have the ability to make money on their NIL like every other college student.

Maybe has already been discussed but I don't really understand how what BYU did with walk-ons or Texas is doing with OL falls under NIL. They have a fund dedicated and it's not to a specific player, it's just whoever happens to be in that position at the time. And it doesn't even seem like the players NIL would be used for them to receive that benefit. These just seem like funds to play players.

Maybe has already been discussed but I don't really understand how what BYU did with walk-ons or Texas is doing with OL falls under NIL. They have a fund dedicated and it's not to a specific player, it's just whoever happens to be in that position at the time. And it doesn't even seem like the players NIL would be used for them to receive that benefit. These just seem like funds to play players.
I’m sure they will do some window dressing to comply loosely with NIL, but yes, ultimately these will just be funds to pay players. As @manhattanbuff said, the top recruits were always getting paid to some degree, but this will just bring it out into the open and the competition will vastly increase how much the top recruits will get paid. The biggest loser is the poor assistant coach bag man, who will have no job going forward.

...The NCAA claimed NIL couldn’t be and wouldn’t be allowed to be a recruiting tool. What is happening will be a huge test to see what kind of teeth the NCAA has and what the law will support.
I was previously unaware of this claim -- could you please cite your source?

I was previously unaware of this claim -- could you please cite your source?
NCAA Interim NIL Rules

“While opening name, image and likeness opportunities to student-athletes, the policy in all three divisions preserves the commitment to avoid pay-for-play and improper inducements tied to choosing to attend a particular school. Those rules remain in effect.”

NCAA Interim NIL Rules

“While opening name, image and likeness opportunities to student-athletes, the policy in all three divisions preserves the commitment to avoid pay-for-play and improper inducements tied to choosing to attend a particular school. Those rules remain in effect.”
Not following the leap from that passage of "avoid improper inducements" to "not allowed to be a recruiting tool". I think we're lacking a definition for "improper inducements"

Not following the leap from that passage of "avoid improper inducements" to "not allowed to be a recruiting tool". I think we're lacking a definition for "improper inducements"
Doesn’t seem like a leap to me. If Texas is setting up some sort of ancillary group to raise funds to pay linemen $50,000, or if they are promising the QB transfer NFL money if he signs with them, even if it’s through a third party, it seems pretty blatant no matter how they try to disguise it.

If the money these players are receiving is well above what the market would normally bare, that would seem to be an improper inducement to me. Of course “what the market will bare” is a pretty nebulous term and is dependent on the local market.

Doesn’t seem like a leap to me. If Texas is setting up some sort of ancillary group to raise funds to pay linemen $50,000, or if they are promising the QB transfer NFL money if he signs with them, even if it’s through a third party, it seems pretty blatant no matter how they try to disguise it.
"Blatant", sure. But is it "improper" under the SCOTUS ruling? Without a definition from the NCAA for what they mean by that term, I don't know how to answer.

I’ll say it again: had the NCAA just been decent human beings when dealing with Jeremy Bloom, they’d still have their precious exemption. All this bull**** falls directly on their shoulders.

I’ll say it again: had the NCAA just been decent human beings when dealing with Jeremy Bloom, they’d still have their precious exemption. All this bull**** falls directly on their shoulders.

I think the entire NCAA concept was always destined to fail sooner or later. The NCAA is a completely empty shell without the support of say 10-15 schools who move the needle for college football as a whole, those schools enable the NCAA, the NCAA brings nothing to the table itself for college football. Those 10-15 schools can easily set up their own thing and draw up the rules in a way that suits them and probably also be better off financially.

I think the entire NCAA concept was always destined to fail sooner or later. The NCAA is a completely empty shell without the support of say 10-15 schools who move the needle for college football as a whole, those schools enable the NCAA, the NCAA brings nothing to the table itself for college football. Those 10-15 schools can easily set up their own thing and draw up the rules in a way that suits them and probably also be better off financially.
The problem with the 10-15 team model is that those teams have to play somebody outside of those 10-15 teams. If those 15 teams want to do their own thing, they’ll have to get another 50 or so schools to go along with them. I agree the NCAA is a dinosaur (a toothless one at that), and that their model is dead. The college football landscape is changing rapidly. What it looks like today is very different from what it will likely look like in another 10 years. How it plays out will be interesting, but any way it goes will probably not favor CU unless we get very lucky.

The problem with the 10-15 team model is that those teams have to play somebody outside of those 10-15 teams. If those 15 teams want to do their own thing, they’ll have to get another 50 or so schools to go along with them. I agree the NCAA is a dinosaur (a toothless one at that), and that their model is dead. The college football landscape is changing rapidly. What it looks like today is very different from what it will likely look like in another 10 years. How it plays out will be interesting, but any way it goes will probably not favor CU unless we get very lucky.
CUs window closed some time ago. They’re already on the outside looking in as are about 100 other programs.

CUs window closed some time ago. They’re already on the outside looking in as are about 100 other programs.
This.

It's one reason why I wish we could get to whatever comes next, as I think CU has a higher likelihood of success in almost any model than the current one.

Maybe. I think we are definitely on the bubble, and the odds are very much stacked against us, but we aren’t totally cooked just yet.

The NFL has proven a 30ish team league can work from a scheduling standpoint

The NFL has proven a 30ish team league can work from a scheduling standpoint
College football can’t be NFL lite and expect to have success. College football isn’t looking for parity, either. Alabama needs Vanderbilt. Michigan and OSU need Rutgers. Clemson needs Duke.
Now, if the football programs go independent from the schools themselves, which is a possibility, then all bets are off. No pesky annoyances like womens soccer teams to help finance.

College football can’t be NFL lite and expect to have success. College football isn’t looking for parity, either. Alabama needs Vanderbilt. Michigan and OSU need Rutgers. Clemson needs Duke.
Now, if the football programs go independent from the schools themselves, which is a possibility, then all bets are off. No pesky annoyances like womens soccer teams to help finance.
To bad CU doesn't have that "need" school.
We are the needed

Like Ornithomimus?

Back