What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

No. 15 Buffs Start 2018 With Trip To Wyoming To Face Oral Roberts, North Florida & Wyoming (Vball)

Nothing's ever sure in volleyball, but it's looking good for the Buffs to force a 5th set, as wyoming just took its last timeout down 21-14 in the 4th.

Buffs take their last timeout down 10-13. Critical point may be at 7-9 where the Buffs lost a point on a wyoming challenge on a touch by a Buff blocker on what was originally caused an out ball. (The announcers said they saw it, and I'm watching on my laptop, but I sure couldn't see anything.)

Buffs tie it up at 13, but then lose 13-15.

Still a nice never give up performance by the Buffs, who with Shebby gone and Abu out for a bit got a lot of match experience for their MANY young players, which should help in future weeks.

I guess I give them credit for battling back, but this was a very bad loss that I hope doesn’t hurt them later

The losses of Shebby and Abu have hurt the team. I did like that the team fought back and took the match to 5 sets.

Abu had surgery but I don't know what her injury is or a timeline for her return.

We knew CU VB had 2 starters to replace in MB Anna Pefferle and Opp Joslyn Hayes who both graduated. That left them with 4 returning starters, the experienced libero and DS, and some little used backups and untried talent on the bench. That was do-able.
Then, about a month ago, Frankie Shebby leaves the team and the sport due to back issues. Probably can handle it because the most experienced of the backups is OH Justine Spann who can't play at Shebby's level but has room to improve and shows it at times.
Then in the last week or so before the start of the season the Buffs lose returning senior MB Abu to injury. And they end up having to replace a 4 year starter who was selected for the PAC-12 pre-season all-conference team with an MB whose only playing time in her 2 years with the team has been in garbage time. Not much time to try to figure out a new game plan.
For a lot of the 3 matches this weekend in Laramie, CU played a 6-2 rotation. This had their 2 returning starters (OH Alexa Smith and S Brynna DiLuzio) playing along with these 6: 1 true freshman setter, 2 redshirt freshmen at Opp and MB, 1 little used redshirt sophomore at Opp, 1 little used junior MB and OH Justine Spann, That left them with very little experience on the court most of the time.
This worked against the over-matched Oral Roberts and North Florida teams but ran into trouble against a Wyoming team with a lot of returning experience. The way that match started, I was expecting to see a 3 set sweep by Wyo. But the Buffs corrected mistakes and improved as they played and fought back to take sets 3 and 4, forcing the deciding fifth set, Unfortunately in the fifth, Wyoming's experience got them a large lead over the Buffs whose nerves and newness to the situation were showing. Again the Buffs fought back but couldn't quite pull it off.
This team has a lot of work to do. Their pre-season rankings were based on the original projected team which included Shebby and Abu. If they can get Neghede back in a month or so and she can play close to how she was pre-injury they can be competitive but top 15 is not in the cards IMO. The new starters need to grow up FAST.

Well stated, BeBe.

As I watched the live stats on Friday, I was surprised that I didn't know the names of the players and CU was only putting their first names on Twitter.

Don't know what Abu's injury is, but she is much needed on the court. All the inexperience that Coach Mahoney is faced with will give him gray hair as he pulls this team together.

Even on live stats, I didn't know the faces that were being shown aside from Alexa Smith, DeLuzio and Spann.

Back