What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

No change with play calling duties during bye week

KD says stuff like “subtle changes”, and “working on details to make us more efficient” and I hear “bring your lunch pail”, “get your horns out”, and “work in the little things”. It’s all coach speak for “I’m completely at a loss for what is wrong, but all I know how to do is keep shoveling bull****, so I’ll keep doing that and hope things magically improve all on their own”.

Humility is indeed crucial. And all we have is humiliation. And lots of it.

KD says stuff like “subtle changes”, and “working on details to make us more efficient” and I hear “bring your lunch pail”, “get your horns out”, and “work in the little things”. It’s all coach speak for “I’m completely at a loss for what is wrong, but all I know how to do is keep shoveling bull****, so I’ll keep doing that and hope things magically improve all on their own”.
Totally agree. What I have seen this year is not going to be fixed with “a play here and a fix there” BS. This situation requires large scale change in the approach.

You forgot "cinch some things up". Dorrell is a better bullshitter than Squawk was.

Honestly, I am not even mad at KD anymore. This really boils down to the athletic department failing on an absolute epic level. They hired the guy they knew wouldn't leave and wouldn't tip the boat one way or another when things went ****ty.
Just cameramen.

I am still amazed that a supposedly smart businessman with a background in football/athletic operations would give Karl Dorrell a 5 year, fully guaranteed contract. The man was probably making $400-$500k/year with the Dolphins, wasn't remotely in demand for anything other than NFL WR coach, and yet, he somehow fell up to get something in the neighborhood of 7X his earnings over the next 5 years. FIVE ****ING YEARS, FULLY GUARANTEED. There are SEC programs who think that's a bad contract for even qualified candidates.
That’s the issue: he is crap at negotiating.

Are we really supposed to believe Dorrell’s agent played hardball and demanded 5 years fully guaranteed? Feels less like a negotiating issue and more like incompetence. Took the increased offer to MT and changed the name to KD and called it a day.
Contracts have been a consistent problem. Being horrible at negotiating reasonable contracts is incompetence when you’re the AD for a supposed major program.

Contracts have been a consistent problem. Being horrible at negotiating reasonable contracts is incompetence when you’re the AD for a supposed major program.
I’m mostly agreeing with you. I just look at KD’s contract and understand that 5 years, fully guaranteed is likely necessary for a hot candidate to come to a place like CU, but I can’t imagine Dorrell even asked/demanded that. It feels like he was handed it almost purposely so RG wouldn’t have to deal with the process again. An AD that hadn’t given up and was actually negotiating, would have never put the University in this position.

I’m mostly agreeing with you. I just look at KD’s contract and understand that 5 years, fully guaranteed is likely necessary for a hot candidate to come to a place like CU, but I can’t imagine Dorrell even asked/demanded that. It feels like he was handed it almost purposely so RG wouldn’t have to deal with the process again. An AD that hadn’t given up and was actually negotiating, would have never put the University in this position.
Yeah, for all the bellyaching about RG giving Tucker such a low buyout I do wonder if that’s what he had to do to land the coach. If so, I can live with it. Giving Dorrell a fully guaranteed deal is malpractice, however.

Hopefully RG wasn't driving to Dorrell's house for the interview. As high as I think he was when this went down, no way he didn't cause a 20 car pile up on Highway 36.

This was the intel we got immediately after from @Bread and others. It’s surprising that people couldn’t understand that this was happening all along.
I think it takes time and actual results to believe what an anonymous message board poster claims sometimes. At that point, everyone was bummed about Tucker but still had faith that RG could “do it again” and maybe we just needed to wait and see.

I think it takes time and actual results to believe what an anonymous message board poster claims sometimes. At that point, everyone was bummed about Tucker but still had faith that RG could “do it again” and maybe we just needed to wait and see.
When the person had direct intel and a narrative that exactly matched the statements and actions by the parties in question, I think hope trumped reality. Hiring Dorrell was in and of itself an act of resignation.

When the person had direct intel and a narrative that exactly matched the statements and actions by the parties in question, I think hope trumped reality. Hiring Dorrell was in and of itself an act of resignation.
Again. Anonymous message board posters and “direct intel/sources” claims will always be taken with a grain of salt. That’s not to disparage bread at all as he’s proven to know some things, just that sometimes it takes time for people to realize it

As a side note, I would be REALLY interested to see JR Payne's contract. He had a much shorter leash on Lappe, who had a better record than Payne has, and I wonder if it's contract related. Also could be that he inherited Lappe.

that buffzone article took things to a level that I didn't think was possible, what in the actual **** is Dorrell even saying

I wish I could believe this is unique to CU, but the last company I worked for has a CEO still in place, who took the company from a $2B valuation down to barely hanging on with an absurd amount of employees across the board hitting the "transfer" portal

once people, men in particular, reach a certain level they are insulated and help to make sure each-other are as well...even if someone is fired, they're still set for life while others can hit rock bottom from a single incident of bad-luck alone, it's one of the major things I wish would change in our society

You know it's ugly when every headline contains "Hope".
Similar to "if" this or "if" that..
15 yrs of "if"... if I had a dime for every "if" I've read or heard.

Again. Anonymous message board posters and “direct intel/sources” claims will always be taken with a grain of salt. That’s not to disparage bread at all as he’s proven to know some things, just that sometimes it takes time for people to realize it
Again. The narrative posited by the anonymous poster matched the behavior. Rick George languished in purgatory after missing on all of the rumored qualified candidates. Then, he hired a guy who could barely recruit to UCLA 15 years prior to a mega rich deal. Look at the actions. What would lead anyone who follows competitive college football to believe that Karl Dorrell of all people has the juice to get it done in the 2020s?

Again. The narrative posited by the anonymous poster matched the behavior. Rick George languished in purgatory after missing on all of the rumored qualified candidates. Then, he hired a guy who could barely recruit to UCLA 15 years prior to a mega rich deal. Look at the actions. What would lead anyone who follows competitive college football to believe that Karl Dorrell of all people has the juice to get it done in the 2020s?
So safe to say the rest of this year and at the very least next year are going to be an absolute drag?

With our skill position players on O, if you were to tell me we would be having these discussions in the summer, I would have said your crazy.

Back