What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Nov 27, 2023, What should Prime Prioritize Now?

What should Prime prioritize now:

• Current Coaching Plans

Votes: 11 21.6%
  • Player Evals/Current Roster

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Prime hits the Portal Now

Votes: 12 23.5%
  • Prime and Staff can do it all at the same time

Votes: 29 56.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GRM

I wonder what Prime is focusing on now:

1. Coaching: I believe there is some turmoil, and some more O coaches are going to depart. Is getting this done a #1 priority? Prime, AD George, Lance Carl and others will be in on this. Are SL, Shurmer, and O'Boyle in CU's future? Is it better to resolve this now, and then get onto the Portal/Recruiting? That could cost money, specifically to SL.

2. Player Evals/interviews-- I think Prime is honest with his players re: depth chart, chances to play, and roster fit. Everything does not go his way, as we saw with MLC, Wray, Reed etc... but I think that he tries. Does he work to firm up the guys he wants to stay, and let those know that are not really in CU's future plans? I think some of this may have been done, but this will open roster spots and deal with attrition head-on.

3. Portal/Recruiting:do you go all in on getting ahead of the other teams, and let the roster and coaching changes just shake out? If this happens, basically, probably Prime (personally) and his recruiting team goes out and obtains the Oline/TE guys now, regardless of how the coaches eventually shake out. This insures they are here for Spring ball. However, there is the 2nd window (May 1 -15), where more guys and roster spots may come available too.

I would say all three to a degree. I feel that Kelly is safe, so he could probably do the D-side evals; if they wanted to cut that in half.

have to walk and chew gum simultaneously here

recruiting needs to be focus #1, and settling the coaching team has to be priority #1. both need to win here for CU to realize the greatness we expect.

Last edited:
Recruiting is the priority.

Functionally, you don't need coaches hired until January - except that hiring those coaches now can have a significant impact on recruiting. Biggest one is clarity at OC so guys know what system they'd be committing to. Also, if any of the hires would be from P5 there would be recruiting relationships that could be beneficial right now.

We cannot just fire SL and BoB cause that is a $3M waste of money
We should all pray they get hired away to anywhere as soon as possible!

Several things have gone very wrong.

1. Pre-season big talk has backfired badly. Getting dominated, getting shownup rather than showing out...that plays right into the hands of the "all flash, no substance" nay sayers.

2. Finishing dead frickin' last in the P12, again, practically destroys the momentum gained in the pre-season hype. All that press looks kind of foolish when Wazzu is kicking your ass.

3. Lack of cohesiveness in the staff, demonstrated by the cluster at OC, exacerbates the problem, which is the optics of again, all flash and no substance.

4. Recent de-commits only add fuel to the fire.

Prime needs to get in front of this, somehow. I don't know if it's a splash OC hire, a string of mega-recruits or what, but because of 1-4 above, the job might be harder now than it was in January 2023.

Several things have gone very wrong.

1. Pre-season big talk has backfired badly. Getting dominated, getting shownup rather than showing out...that plays right into the hands of the "all flash, no substance" nay sayers.

2. Finishing dead frickin' last in the P12, again, practically destroys the momentum gained in the pre-season hype. All that press looks kind of foolish when Wazzu is kicking your ass.

3. Lack of cohesiveness in the staff, demonstrated by the cluster at OC, exacerbates the problem, which is the optics of again, all flash and no substance.

4. Recent de-commits only add fuel to the fire.

Prime needs to get in front of this, somehow. I don't know if it's a splash OC hire, a string of mega-recruits or what, but because of 1-4 above, the job might be harder now than it was in January 2023.
well stated

It seems obvious that Prime is going to prioritize good to great portal guys and is not convinced that much NIL should be spent on High School kids, which is scary, but likely what he wants to do.
Future prospects that you have no idea how good they will be do not deserve NIL if you do not have money to waste
Guys like Cormani, Edwards, Miller, etc... deserve NIL ahead of HS kids also

Same thing will happen this season, as last season. The crème will rise and the dead weight will get cut.

Yes we can.
We could, but them leaving on their own is a lot easier, and if it comes to it, some kind of agreement will be made, but straight up firing is bad for all involved, would be better to have SL be hired to a better gig and mediate it all

I wonder what Prime is focusing on now:

1. Coaching: I believe there is some turmoil, and some more O coaches are going to depart. Is getting this done a #1 priority? Prime, AD George, Lance Carl and others will be in on this. Are SL, Shurmer, and O'Boyle in CU's future? Is it better to resolve this now, and then get onto the Portal/Recruiting? That could cost money, specifically to SL.

2. Player Evals/interviews-- I think Prime is honest with his players re: depth chart, chances to play, and roster fit. Everything does not go his way, as we saw with MLC, Wray, Reed etc... but I think that he tries. Does he work to firm up the guys he wants to stay, and let those know that are not really in CU's future plans? I think some of this may have been done, but this will open roster spots and deal with attrition head-on.

3. Portal/Recruiting:do you go all in on getting ahead of the other teams, and let the roster and coaching changes just shake out? If this happens, basically, probably Prime (personally) and his recruiting team goes out and obtains the Oline/TE guys now, regardless of how the coaches eventually shake out. This insures they are here for Spring ball. However, there is the 2nd window (May 1 -15), where more guys and roster spots may come available too.

I would say all three to a degree. I feel that Kelly is safe, so he could probably do the D-side evals; if they wanted to cut that in half.
Bro, Evals are done. It was called the 2023 season. Players are being told their futures as we speak. This is being done by position coaches, not Prime.

Yep. Only move is to double down and prove them wrong. That keeps those who love and support him at 100. Changing to satisfy critics would kill this because it would look like he sold out.
Amen, get more creative, get more innovative and take the CFB by storm
Prime is a big move guy, so he may be cooking something up that will blow our minds

We could, but them leaving on their own is a lot easier, and if it comes to it, some kind of agreement will be made, but straight up firing is bad for all involved, would be better to have SL be hired to a better gig and mediate it all
Obviously it would be better to not pay the 3M…

I do think that SL will get some kind of job offer. Not sure about BOB....

and CP is making it easy to negatively recruit against CU
I will point out one tough comment I would make as a parent of a recruit or kid as a transfer or freshman in the program is that the guys that are on the roster now are all mostly Deion's choices and that at some point, he has to coach these guys up and make them better players and develop the younger guys. Not recruit them and then show them the door after 1 year in a new system. I mean this on a Mercenary level.... Yes, 10-15 plus players can be turnover with some reasonable explanation such as injuries, fit, recruited over, but I don't want to see 40 new faces again next year if I'm a parent with a Junior or Senior in High School. I don't think we have a very large graduating class of Seniors. So, I'm really hoping to see the right Freshman come in, plus the right transfers in/out of the system, plus development for guys who have busted their butts this year to be part of the team that turned CU from a laughingstock of a program to a competent and competitive team that was just a few players, plays, and game management decisions away from .500 ball.

Also, I'm sure that fans and media are all reacting to things which are old news to Coach Prime and the football office but are only now becoming public.

Since he's been here, CP's media strategy seems to be to get the negative stories out of the way and then respond by releasing something that ends the cycle on a positive note.

I'm expecting some stories that change the narratives from the past week.

Also, I'm sure that fans and media are all reacting to things which are old news to Coach Prime and the football office but are only now becoming public.

Since he's been here, CP's media strategy seems to be to get the negative stories out of the way and then respond by releasing something that ends the cycle on a positive note.

I'm expecting some stories that change the narratives from the past week.
in the era of social media and 24/7 sports news coverage from multiple sources, what do you believe defines the modern-day "news cycle"? Unlike 20 years ago (e.g. we'd get coverage of the MNF game in Wednesday's newspaper, we'd get a Sporting News or SI weekly magazine that cutoff news 4+ days before it arrived) I see a continuous stream of reporting and don't perceive anything cyclic about it.

does it come down to a daily pattern of "most sports fan stop consuming information from 10PM ET to 6AM ET"?

in the era of social media and 24/7 sports news coverage from multiple sources, what do you believe defines the modern-day "news cycle"? Unlike 20 years ago (e.g. we'd get coverage of the MNF game in Wednesday's newspaper, we'd get a Sporting News or SI weekly magazine that cutoff news 4+ days before it arrived) I see a continuous stream of reporting and don't perceive anything cyclic about it.

does it come down to a daily pattern of "most sports fan stop consuming information from 10PM ET to 6AM ET"?
In this case, I'd say that it's about getting the negative flushed, tempering with something positive quickly enough to give your supporters ammo by the next day, and building momentum from now (housecleaning period) until December 20th early signing day.

Then, you can repeat that cycle starting from then to climax for February 7 signing day.

In this case, I'd say that it's about getting the negative flushed, tempering with something positive quickly enough to give your supporters ammo by the next day, and building momentum from now (housecleaning period) until December 20th early signing day.

Then, you can repeat that cycle starting from then to climax for February 7 signing day.
ok, you're referring to the recruiting cycles, not the reporting cycles. gotcha -- makes 100% sense

Back