What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official ****braska Hate Thread

A problem for the PAC12 is that a lot of the mentioned expansion candidates are in realtity non-starters.

Nubs aren't getting an invite. They have nothing to offer other than football and right now and for the forseeable future that isn't worth looking at.

BYU isn't happening. The California schools are not going to deal with the political fallout that would cause, they don't bring a substantial TV viewing boost, and they aren't a fit academically.

Boise isn't a fit academically (glorified junior college) and more importantly no way do they bring enough added revenue potential to justify giving them a share of the conference revenues.

UNM is a train wreck. Should be a candidate but can't figure out how to tie their shoes.

SDSU can't get the attention of sports fans, again would be a money drain.

UNLV and/or Nevada have potential for the future but the PAC already owns those media markets and those schools don't have enough fan interest. They do have potential for the future but not happening right now.

Some fans will cringe, with reason, but the most logical expansion would be Texas and Oklahoma. Texas has the academic reputation and would like the affiliation to verify it. They have been able to bully their prior conferences but I don't think they could get away with that in the PAC.

Oklahoma has been spending huge amounts of money to try to raise their academic standing. PAC membership would be welcomed as a reputation builder.

Those two would make the conference media package much more valuable by delivering the strongest schools in a huge and growing media region.

A couple things-
1) Texas and Oklahoma have a media deal that is better than ours is right now. They're not coming.
2) The only member of the current MWC that makes any sort of sense of this conference at any point in the near future (barring something unforeseen) is UNLV, and the only reason they even make sense is the Raider move to Vegas and new stadium they'll get to play in because of it. They are going to fire Tony Sanchez after this season ends, and they're going to do better than we all think in their search.
3) The only way expansion works is selling somebody like NU that the Pac is a better opportunity for success than where they are-They're still a football draw. They got College Gameday and the Saturday Night Football slot for their game against tOSU (even though the whole country knows they suck and knew they were going to lose by 6 touchdowns like they did) because they are that big a draw still. This is pie in the sky-but my biggest point is this: Both of us need that game still. No other former Big 12 team (A&M as an example given we go to CS next year) or current Pac 12 team gets this fanbase as fired up as Fusker does. Surveyor or one of the other Nub jackoffs can argue that Iowa's more of a rival than we are, but that's fake news too. Iowa's won five of the last six and three of those have been by at least 20+. ESPN and FOX will beg for that game this offseason-the mothership had the Lincoln game, and FOX had the Boulder game, and they both got games that came down to the last play.

The best thing this conference can do for itself is changing its leadership-Give me somebody who will stop playing basketball games in China (Two things tell me that game isn't working: One, the fact that Larry had to ask two conference schools to go over there this year. Two, the amount of empty seats in Shanghai for it), fix the football officiating issues, and do something about the TV revenue.

It was almost the same time, but we left a. Day or two before ****braska did.

Thanks. Wasn't sure on the timing, but it seemed to me like the Nubs were flirting with the Big 10 as soon as that Big 12 championship game they lost to UT in 2010 ended.

A couple things-
1) Texas and Oklahoma have a media deal that is better than ours is right now. They're not coming.
2) The only member of the current MWC that makes any sort of sense of this conference at any point in the near future (barring something unforeseen) is UNLV, and the only reason they even make sense is the Raider move to Vegas and new stadium they'll get to play in because of it. They are going to fire Tony Sanchez after this season ends, and they're going to do better than we all think in their search.
3) The only way expansion works is selling somebody like NU that the Pac is a better opportunity for success than where they are-They're still a football draw. They got College Gameday and the Saturday Night Football slot for their game against tOSU (even though the whole country knows they suck and knew they were going to lose by 6 touchdowns like they did) because they are that big a draw still. This is pie in the sky-but my biggest point is this: Both of us need that game.

The best thing this conference can do for itself is changing its leadership-Give me somebody who will stop playing basketball games in China (Two things tell me that game isn't working: One, the fact that Larry had to ask two conference schools to go over there this year. Two, the amount of empty seats in Shanghai for it), fix the football officiating issues, and do something about the TV revenue.

Thanks. Wasn't sure on the timing, but it seemed to me like the Nubs were flirting with the Big 10 as soon as that Big 12 championship game they lost to UT in 2010 ended.
the reason they got the nod to go to Ireland or wherever the hell over there next season.

True but the PAC12 wasn't interested.

The Nubs would have been a better choice for the PAC from a financial standpoint but the league was more interested in a cultural fit. Utah doesn't generate the same kind of money as the nubs would but they are a regional fit, a better academic fit, and a better fit in non-football sports.

What wasn't expected is that Utah is a much more successful football program now than the nubs.

Best thing for them would have been to suck it up, figure out how to deal with the Texans and Okies, and stay with the B12.
I’m picturing LiverFlukes showing up in Lincoln all “what the **** is this ****”?

I read the Scott Frost article. It struck me how totally 'normal' Husker .500 or worse football is to me. Late 90s seems a century ago. I would be shocked to see the N team in the top 10 any time soon. And yet it's completely normal for Utah to be ranked any given year (top 10 is a rarity of course). My how the universe has changed.

I read the Scott Frost article. It struck me how totally 'normal' ****er .500 or worse football is to me. Late 90s seems a century ago. I would be shocked to see the N team in the top 10 any time soon. And yet it's completely normal for Utah to be ranked any given year (top 10 is a rarity of course). My how the universe has changed.
You forgot to tag @BuffSurveyor in your post.

I have to wonder about having the four Dakota schools in FCS instead of D2 might have reduced the quality of walk-ons that would have came to Lincoln. And the Dakota schools especially NDSU are doing pretty well too. A fifth Dakota school (Augustana College) announced its plans to make the jump to D1. The question is whether they will do scholly football or non-scholarship football. St. Cloud State in Minnesota is another former NCC foe who could entertain a jump. Maybe Minnesota State.

I read the Scott Frost article. It struck me how totally 'normal' ****er .500 or worse football is to me. Late 90s seems a century ago. I would be shocked to see the N team in the top 10 any time soon. And yet it's completely normal for Utah to be ranked any given year (top 10 is a rarity of course). My how the universe has changed.

Simple why-Kyle Whittingham. Dudes a hell of a football coach, and I think (unfortunately for us) hes going to retire at Utah.

They've gotta give Frost at least 3-4 seasons to flip that roster, even with how thin his HC resume is. Anybody can win big at UCF given the dog**** league they're in and how much talent there is in that state.

Flipping the roster is the least of their worries. Their stud quarterback is regressing. Their defense is a dumpster fire. It’s discipline, motivation and preparation where they are weakest. Flipping their roster won’t change those issues.

Their QB is regressing because people have figured out he's a very poor man's Mitchell Trubisky. He's like the 7th best QB in that league right now, too. Discipline, motivation, and preparation do matter-we've spent a fair amount of time after the five losses in a row questioning that in the context of what Mike MacIntyre left behind here....and I've seen a fair amount of Tucker needs time to bring in better talent posts.

I have to wonder about having the four Dakota schools in FCS instead of D2 might have reduced the quality of walk-ons that would have came to Lincoln. And the Dakota schools especially NDSU are doing pretty well too. A fifth Dakota school (Augustana College) announced its plans to make the jump to D1. The question is whether they will do scholly football or non-scholarship football. St. Cloud State in Minnesota is another former NCC foe who could entertain a jump. Maybe Minnesota State.
Having the successful FCS schools there can't help the nubs.

Probably a bigger factor is simply that kNU now sucks.

In their glory days every walk-on got a uniform and his picture in the media guide and then in the local papers. They won enough blowouts (didn't matter that they were blowing out some joke of a directional school) that everyone got some field time.

These kids could go back to their towns and they were a "real Nebraska football player" with their reputation set for life. They could sit around the feed store or drink a coffee at the local greasy spoon and talk about when they "played for a championship cornhusker team."

Now the walk-ons still get a picture and a uniform but if they play it is because they are down 30 points to Wisconsin and there is nothing to brag about.

Considering all that they are better off playing with a scholarship in the Big Sky or even D2.

As much as I’d like to believe it, I doubt the programs in North and South Dakota are having any impact in Nebraska. More likely than not, it’s Iowa, Iowa State and Minnesota that are having a more significant effect. All three of those programs are head and shoulders ahead of Nebraska and the trajectory (there’s that word, @BuffSurveyor), of those programs is far better.

OTOH, I can see how a program like NDSU could eat into the walk on program at Nebraska. A scholarship at NDSU is a lot more attractive than a walk on spot in Lincoln.

As much as I’d like to believe it, I doubt the programs in North and South Dakota are having any impact in ****braska. More likely than not, it’s Iowa, Iowa State and Minnesota that are having a more significant effect. All three of those programs are head and shoulders ahead of ****braska and the trajectory (there’s that word, @BuffSurveyor), of those programs is far better.

OTOH, I can see how a program like NDSU could eat into the walk on program at ****braska. A scholarship at NDSU is a lot more attractive than a walk on spot in Lincoln.
Bigger issue now is why would a kid from Texas or California or Florida want to go to Nebraska instead of an Iowa or Wisconsin or even Minnesota.

They used to go because they knew they were going to win, now they know going to Stinkoln means they are going to lose.

Having the successful FCS schools there can't help the nubs.

Probably a bigger factor is simply that kNU now sucks.

In their glory days every walk-on got a uniform and his picture in the media guide and then in the local papers. They won enough blowouts (didn't matter that they were blowing out some joke of a directional school) that everyone got some field time.

These kids could go back to their towns and they were a "real ****braska football player" with their reputation set for life. They could sit around the feed store or drink a coffee at the local greasy spoon and talk about when they "played for a championship cornhusker team."

Now the walk-ons still get a picture and a uniform but if they play it is because they are down 30 points to Wisconsin and there is nothing to brag about.

Considering all that they are better off playing with a scholarship in the Big Sky or even D2.

Some of those Dakota schools could be about at least as good as kNU as well. It seems like those Dakota schools also recruit a lot of Minnesota kids...the ones that knocked the snot out of those Nubs. I think the D2 Northern Sun has like 14 teams and is heavily located around Minnesota. Minnesota Duluth is one of those strong D2 football teams unless I have fallen behind the times.

Lots of more options for those Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Iowa players than in the past and that could be hurting Nebraska's overall depth that they used to be strong at. 36 scholarships for D2 and that jumps to 63 for FCS. That's a 27 scholarship jump and it just simply adds up. WIth the four Dakota schools, that was an 108 scholarship increase overall.

As much as I’d like to believe it, I doubt the programs in North and South Dakota are having any impact in ****braska. More likely than not, it’s Iowa, Iowa State and Minnesota that are having a more significant effect. All three of those programs are head and shoulders ahead of ****braska and the trajectory (there’s that word, @BuffSurveyor), of those programs is far better.

OTOH, I can see how a program like NDSU could eat into the walk on program at ****braska. A scholarship at NDSU is a lot more attractive than a walk on spot in Lincoln.

That has impacted Nebraska indeed but it is the backups and 3rd stringers that would be impacted. We know all too well how much lack of depth can hurt with injuries.

Also NDSU has been rated VHRU status for their academics and the other Dakota schools can't be that far behind either.

Simply put, more choices.

Back