What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official MBB Game Thread: Buffs at AFA, Mon 7pm

Out rebounded, bad ft shooting and an 11 point lead down to 5 but buffs win.

Instead of winning solid going away, this team has mental lapses that frustrate the crap out of you

This team has NIT written all over it

Out rebounded, bad ft shooting and an 11 point lead down to 5 but buffs win.

Instead of winning solid going away, this team has mental lapses that frustrate the crap out of you

This team has NIT written all over it
Didn't want to admit it and thought they would start putting it together, but they haven't yet outside of the one game against Xavier. I'm starting to get worried.

Tad to Mark Johnson:

"Deleon is a guy you can depend on as a coach... the effort is there." "Played himself into role as first guard off bench."

very frustrating team to watch....just when you think they are rolling...they make 4 bone headed plays in a row....theres talent but team basketball iq is questionable

Being Out hustled and horrendous free throw shooting is a recipe for disaster.

Seems to be the pattern.

Tad's teams are bad at offense and have been forever. They don't seem capable of designing plays or schemes to put players in positions to be successful on offense, particularly against zone defense. This deficiency manifests itself the most out of timeouts. Rewatch the end of the first half to see what I'm talking about. It happens again and again year after year.

very frustrating team to watch....just when you think they are rolling...they make 4 bone headed plays in a row....theres talent but team basketball iq is questionable
The above are basically my observations about most of the games thus far this season. The sum is less than the parts for this team. Mental toughness and determination are lacking. I too think that this team is headed for the NIT.

"Deleon is a guy you can depend on as a coach... the effort is there." "Played himself into role as first guard off bench."
Deleon has earned playing time due to his reliable play. He isn't as athletic as Peters, but he plays within his still set and doesn't get himself in trouble on either end of the floor, plus he is a fairly consistent perimeter shooter. I thought for a good deal of the second half tonight CU was better when he and Collier were on the floor together.

Tad's teams are bad at offense and have been forever. They don't seem capable of designing plays or schemes to put players in positions to be successful on offense, particularly against zone defense. This deficiency manifests itself the most out of timeouts. Rewatch the end of the first half to see what I'm talking about. It happens again and again year after year.

They shot 54% from field and 40% from three. All against zone. The shooting was second best all year so far. First time 3D all played together. Add XJ and Wes and good lineup. Still need to improve but 9-3 which is one game behind last years pace.

I agree- the offense was successful last night, except for the FT shooting. It's all mental, this is a pretty good FT shooting team who is currently struggling. Of more concern is defense and especially rebounding. I suspect this is the worst 4-game rebounding stretch in the Tad era, especially given the huge size advantage CU has had in the past 2 games. That has to change, or they will struggle to win many games in the PAC-12.

I agree- the offense was successful last night, except for the FT shooting. It's all mental, this is a pretty good FT shooting team who is currently struggling. Of more concern is defense and especially rebounding. I suspect this is the worst 4-game rebounding stretch in the Tad era, especially given the huge size advantage CU has had in the past 2 games. That has to change, or they will struggle to win many games in the PAC-12.

Offense was very good after the first 8 minutes once they figured out how to get something besides a 3pt shot against that zone and stopped turning the ball over on every other trip.

Rebounding is a major problem. Particularly on the defensive boards. I've never seen a Tad team give up this many extra possessions. It's unprecedented.

The FT shooting is, like you say, not an ability issue. It's an easy-to-see illustration that this team loses focus and also presses.

On defense, I think a big issue is that Wes is a much better help defender than he is a man defender. He allows his man to get way too deep on post ups and is very inconsistent. But he's a shot block machine coming from the weak side. With that and the interchangeable length at the other 4 spots, this really is a team built to play zone. Not gonna happen, but the personnel sure points to it being what fits.

Offense was very good after the first 8 minutes once they figured out how to get something besides a 3pt shot against that zone and stopped turning the ball over on every other trip.

Rebounding is a major problem. Particularly on the defensive boards. I've never seen a Tad team give up this many extra possessions. It's unprecedented.

The FT shooting is, like you say, not an ability issue. It's an easy-to-see illustration that this team loses focus and also presses.

On defense, I think a big issue is that Wes is a much better help defender than he is a man defender. He allows his man to get way too deep on post ups and is very inconsistent. But he's a shot block machine coming from the weak side. With that and the interchangeable length at the other 4 spots, this really is a team built to play zone. Not gonna happen, but the personnel sure points to it being what fits.

Rebounding is an issue. But have played good defense evident by 29% by AF. You make good point on zone but that won't happen as you say. Could help with potential foul trouble.

Tad to Mark Johnson:

come on @Buffnik and @Darth Snow - this adds up perfectly. this is a Tad "you practice/you play" move. you teach a frosh a lesson in a non-conf game where he could have contributed and you still win....

And when does Fortune get taught the lessons he needs to learn?

And when does Fortune get taught the lessons he needs to learn?

When someone starts playing as good of D as he has provided all year. No one will argue he hasn't been a trainwreck on offense, but at least he's providing D. That will always get you minutes in Tad's offense.

When someone starts playing as good of D as he has provided all year. No one will argue he hasn't been a trainwreck on offense, but at least he's providing D. That will always get you minutes in Tad's offense.
At what point do all the turnovers and missed open shots amount to him playing better D for the other team than he is for the Buffs?

If Brown and Peters both can play solid minutes I think Fortune is first in line to sacrifice minutes.

At what point do all the turnovers and missed open shots amount to him playing better D for the other team than he is for the Buffs?

If Brown and Peters both can play solid minutes I think Fortune is first in line to sacrifice minutes.

If you play defense, Tad will sacrifice poor play on the offense. He has always run his team that way, don't expect that to change.

Fortune has a lower TO Rate and higher Assist Rate than King.

Fortune has actually played much more under control this year. And has been playing pretty well on D. Something he didn't do last year. He still has his wtf moments, but far less. His shot just hasn't been there. Hopefully he finds it soon.

Yep. Main thing that's at the root of the team's struggles right now is that those 2 guys aren't shooting well from 3pt. King's at .310 and Fortune's at .311. They're both a lot better than that. King, though, can much more easily score in other ways. Both have been pressing, but since Fortune's offensive game isn't as multi-dimensional he looks much the worse for it.

Once both these guys find the range from deep, this team will get scary good.

On another note, Fortune improving his decision making could mean so much with end-game FTs. He's our 90% guy from the line and we really want him to be able to be in there and taking the freebies. White being our #2 and an 80% guy.

Back