What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Spring Practices Thread

Any word on Nikko Pohahau? Is he at tackle?

I think I read that he's out for spring. Shoulder injury.

Found it:

"Chance Lytle (leg) and Casey Roddick (medical condition) were both starters last season and are out this spring. Freshmen Austin Johnson (Achilles) and Nikko Pohahau (shoulder) are also out."

Not super thrilled with the Buffzone article about Lewis doing so well that then devolved into praising Noyer and saying the QB job is kinda sorta I guess you could say Noyers to lose according to HCKD!!!
WTF
Noyer lost it in my mind at the Bowl Game, and injuries cannot be the excuse. The competition is WIDE open and Dorrell needed to say that loud and clear. Or else, we could lose Lewis.
Dumb

KD said it as loud as clear as possible while also trying to encourage competition. Can't give him the job. But got to also stop playing games when it is time to name a starter which will probably happen early in the fall. B Lewis is the early favorite.

Not super thrilled with the Buffzone article about Lewis doing so well that then devolved into praising Noyer and saying the QB job is kinda sorta I guess you could say Noyers to lose according to HCKD!!!
WTF
Noyer lost it in my mind at the Bowl Game, and injuries cannot be the excuse. The competition is WIDE open and Dorrell needed to say that loud and clear. Or else, we could lose Lewis.
Dumb
Buff fans in general are way to sensitive to what coaches say in the press (aka coach-speak). If Lewis were to leave simply because his HC hasn't handed him the job, we have bigger problems. Coach wants them to compete and remember, we have a decent transfer also competing who is new to our system.

QBs are graded daily on every snap in spring ball. The data makes decisions for the most part.

Buff fans in general are way to sensitive to what coaches say in the press (aka coach-speak). If Lewis were to leave simply because his HC hasn't handed him the job, we have bigger problems. Coach wants them to compete and remember, we have a decent transfer also competing who is new to our system.

QBs are graded daily on every snap in spring ball. The data makes decisions for the most part.
Listen closely... Everything is a competition, so then why did it slowly devolve to THEY have to beat out Sam, Sam is in the lead, Sam is doing a good job, blah, blah, blah... I do not think that Lewis will leave, and heck no he cannot be handed the job until there is a fair competition, but I sure as heck hope he has the courage to say at the end of spring that based on available players right now that B Lewis is in the lead! Sam Noyer was a great story, but his stats were absolutely terrible, and I would like to see us move on with the younger guys.

For the second year in a row, the quarterback competition is wide open. While Noyer is not a part of it now, the spring is allowing Dorrell and other coaches to get a good look at Lewis, Shrout, and Carter.

Asked if the job is Noyer’s to lose, Dorrell said, “I guess you could say that,” but added the competition will be ongoing.

“Nothing really gets ironed out until the end of training camp when you’re getting ready to play that first game,” he said. “There’s still some work to be done within that.

Someone’s gonna have to come and beat (Noyer) out. Hopefully, he’s fully healthy and ready to go (in preseason camp). We’re hoping that he’s full go and ready to do some positive things this fall. The best thing I know is that we have some capable guys from what I see so far right now that, in case Sam isn’t completely healthy or there is an issue with Sam, we do have the people in the program that can help us win.”

Listen closely... Everything is a competition, so then why did it slowly devolve to THEY have to beat out Sam, Sam is in the lead, Sam is doing a good job, blah, blah, blah... I do not think that Lewis will leave, and heck no he cannot be handed the job until there is a fair competition, but I sure as heck hope he has the courage to say at the end of spring that based on available players right now that B Lewis is in the lead! Sam Noyer was a great story, but his stats were absolutely terrible, and I would like to see us move on with the younger guys.

For the second year in a row, the quarterback competition is wide open. While Noyer is not a part of it now, the spring is allowing Dorrell and other coaches to get a good look at Lewis, Shrout, and Carter.

Asked if the job is Noyer’s to lose, Dorrell said, “I guess you could say that,” but added the competition will be ongoing.

“Nothing really gets ironed out until the end of training camp when you’re getting ready to play that first game,” he said. “There’s still some work to be done within that.

Someone’s gonna have to come and beat (Noyer) out. Hopefully, he’s fully healthy and ready to go (in preseason camp). We’re hoping that he’s full go and ready to do some positive things this fall. The best thing I know is that we have some capable guys from what I see so far right now that, in case Sam isn’t completely healthy or there is an issue with Sam, we do have the people in the program that can help us win.”
You could also see HCKD's comments as a way to push the current competition at QB

I remember some of y’all telling me that Noyer coming back would be good for advancing the program at the QB position. Welp.

Senior returning starters don't lose Lewis has plenty of space right now to make the gains we all expect. If the coaches aren't pretty sold on him in a month then he alone squandered it.

Noyer is a returning SR captain that does deserve some time in practice, or you may have a frosh as a backup. If Lewis wins the job, it would not be a surprise to see the UTjr QB look elsewhere.

Coaches HAVE to say it's the incumbents job. One game where the starter was playing hurt is perhaps for many of us, but KD has to keep up the impression that ties for to the SR captain. But they don't in reality.

I remember some of y’all telling me that Noyer coming back would be good for advancing the program at the QB position. Welp.
What's your plan if the loser of the spring competition moves on and you already told Noyer to go get a real job? Noyer is needed as a backup.

What's your plan if the loser of the spring competition moves on and you already told Noyer to go get a real job? Noyer is needed as a backup.
This is why you bring in a transfer or two and recruit prep players. Noyer isn’t the backup. You’re saying that we need Noyer to be the backup even though he’s a big favorite to be the starter? This is how you lose the players like Lewis who you want to develop.

This is why you bring in a transfer or two and recruit prep players. Noyer isn’t the backup. You’re saying that we need Noyer to be the backup even though he’s a big favorite to be the starter? This is how you lose the players like Lewis who you want to develop.
Noyer had left the program, and was coaxed back and fairly won the job last year, during a crazy Covid year where the coaches did not feel Lewis was gonna get enough time to prepare and become the starter, but now we are a year later, Lewis is working his butt off and based on playing Texas (top competition) he was more impressive than Noyer who only threw 5 TD’s total! 1 was a screen to Rice that was ran 60 yards for the TD. And now Noyer has no spring ball. I wish the tone was actually more neutral, but I guess what matters is what happens in Spring for Lewis, what he is told at the end of Spring and what he does heading towards Fall.

Noyer had left the program, and was coaxed back and fairly won the job last year, during a crazy Covid year where the coaches did not feel Lewis was gonna get enough time to prepare and become the starter, but now we are a year later, Lewis is working his butt off and based on playing Texas (top competition) he was more impressive than Noyer who only threw 5 TD’s total! 1 was a screen to Rice that was ran 60 yards for the TD. And now Noyer has no spring ball. I wish the tone was actually more neutral, but I guess what matters is what happens in Spring for Lewis, what he is told at the end of Spring and what he does heading towards Fall.
Karl Dorrell isn’t great at coach speak. He was asked a direct question and answered that Noyer is considered the presumed starter. That’s bad.

KD has said there are no starters. It is open competition but B Lewis is playing well. How is that bad coach speech? Noyer is not the presumed starter.

Karl Dorrell isn’t great at coach speak. He was asked a direct question and answered that Noyer is considered the presumed starter. That’s bad.
I'm reading this in a different way. KD pointing out that someone has to beat out Noyer and that Noyer won't be back until fall camp may just be his way of trying to keep other working hard throughout the summer. The UT transfer may not even be eligible this year so maybe KD just wants to keep the feeling of competition going for as long as possible.

I'm reading this in a different way. KD pointing out that someone has to beat out Noyer and that Noyer won't be back until fall camp may just be his way of trying to keep other working hard throughout the summer. The UT transfer may not even be eligible this year so maybe KD just wants to keep the feeling of competition going for as long as possible.
I believe all transfers had a free transfer. No sitting out.

Reporter: Hey coach, is the returning senior starter that got you to a bowl, yeah Sam Noyer, is it his job to lose?

Coach Dorrell: Uh, I guess you could say that.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Senior returning starters don't lose Lewis has plenty of space right now to make the gains we all expect. If the coaches aren't pretty sold on him in a month then he alone squandered it.

Noyer is a returning SR captain that does deserve some time in practice, or you may have a frosh as a backup. If Lewis wins the job, it would not be a surprise to see the UTjr QB look elsewhere.

Coaches HAVE to say it's the incumbents job. One game where the starter was playing hurt is perhaps for many of us, but KD has to keep up the impression that ties for to the SR captain. But they don't in reality.
Reporter: Hey coach, is the returning senior starter that got you to a bowl, yeah Sam Noyer, is it his job to lose?

This is really simple and no they aren't risking losing Lewis or any of the other panic situations being thrown around out here.

It's all pretty simple. Unless a guy is a disaster an upper classman starter is going to have to be beat out to lose his job. If he happens to be a senior captain who led you to a bowl game the prior year this is where any reasonable coach is going to start.

Everyone on the team knows who and what Noyer is. It's simple from that point. Lewis has to prove he's better. When he does he becomes the starter and the team supports him as the guy who won the job.

Quick question if anyone has heard. We have heard that Broussard is now without the brace and Fontenot is back healthy, what have we heard about Clayton. He looks to be the most talented of the backs and it just about killed me every time they gave the ball to Joe Davis for little to no gain while Clayton was over on the bench

I’m not dismissing your opinion. I just heard the statements completely differently. It seems that the room is fairly split on how to take those comments.
If Karl Dorrell were a less forthright person, I would interpret the comments more neutrally.

I like and appreciate what Sam Noyer did last year!
He made the Football season enjoyable as hell
BUT,,,,,
Senior Starter
Senior Captain
Led to Bowl Game
All a bit generous
Those sound all good, but here are the stats:
6 games, 88 completions, 160 attempts, 55% completion, 1101 yards, 6.9 Y/A, 6 TD's, 7 INT
That is not very good at all and we all know that.

“Someone’s gonna have to beat Noyer out” does sound like a ringing endorsement.
I think this is exactly what a coach should say. What’s the alternative?

KD: “We have a returning starter, captain, at QB. He’s injured so can’t participate in spring ball. But we have a freshman that showed pretty well in a blowout loss to Texas in a bowl game and has had two good spring practices (although the defense seems to be getting the better of him). I’m naming him the starter right now.”

Lewis (and everyone else) absolutely has to beat out a senior captain returning starter. There’s not even a question about that.

But everyone should take comfort in HCKD doing what he thinks is best for this team. How many of our previous coaches would have fired the DC or S&C coach after reaching bowl eligibility? If Lewis is better, he’ll start.

Lewis should be the guy, if he puts in the work. Idk enough about the transfer guy to comment on him.

Back