What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Other Games Week of 11/1-11/5

Bad example then. I have a hard time seeing a scenario where Tennessee's not one of the four. That resume's better than what Michigan, TCU, USC, or Oregon have done to this point.
What part of blown out by Georgia don't you get.

Keep in mind that Tennessee's OOC is Ball State, Pitt, Akron, and Tennessee-Martin, and they struggled to beat Pitt.

Michigan/tOSU winner is in. Unless the game is a blowout loser has at least if not better argument than Tennessee.

USC lost one game by one point to a solid Utah team. Oregon's only loss is a season opener to Georgia.

TCU has a weaker schedule but if undefeated it would be very difficult to leave them out.

Playoff is supposed to be a national championship. Team needs to be something special to justify taking a second team from one conference ahead of an undefeated or one loss team from another P5 conference.

They have wins over Alabama and LSU already. If Georgia "blew out" Tennessee, how do you explain Oregon's performance against them?

The other teams have other opportunities for big wins. Tennessee plays no one down the stretch.

Oregon got the **** beat out of them, but I will say a portion of that is attributable to week one under a new HC. And no need to put it in quotes, Tennessee got throttled yesterday.

The other teams have other opportunities for big wins. Tennessee plays no one down the stretch.

Oregon got the **** beat out of them, but I will say a portion of that is attributable to week one under a new HC. And no need to put it in quotes, Tennessee got throttled yesterday.
That game being Dan Lanning's debut doesn't matter at all in my opinion.

What part of blown out by Georgia don't you get.

Keep in mind that Tennessee's OOC is Ball State, Pitt, Akron, and Tennessee-Martin, and they struggled to beat Pitt.

Michigan/tOSU winner is in. Unless the game is a blowout loser has at least if not better argument than Tennessee.

USC lost one game by one point to a solid Utah team. Oregon's only loss is a season opener to Georgia.

TCU has a weaker schedule but if undefeated it would be very difficult to leave them out.

Playoff is supposed to be a national championship. Team needs to be something special to justify taking a second team from one conference ahead of an undefeated or one loss team from another P5 conference.
Let's start with where we agree-
1) TCU needs to be undefeated to get in.
2) The Michigan/Ohio State game is a national QF. The winner beats I would assume Illinois in the Big 10 CG and gets in.
3) I'd put USC in over Tennessee if we're talking about those two for the 4th spot.

Here's where I don't agree with you-
1) I can't put Oregon (even with a Pac 12 title) in over Tennessee because of the common opponent they have. Oregon lost by 46. That game being Lanning's debut doesn't matter IMO. Oregon was far less competitive than even Tennessee was. This shouldn't even be a discussion in my opinion.
2) Michigan played one of the weakest OOCs in the country. I don't see a scenario where they get into the playoff with a loss.

Week one under a new coach doesn't matter at all?

I don't think Oregon is a viable playoff team, but of course those factors and others matter some.
Not in this case. Frankly, I was surprised the committee had Oregon over USC.

Not in this case. Frankly, I was surprised the committee had Oregon over USC.
Early season losses can be overcome in the polls. This has been true since forever.

Oregon and USC’s relative position doesn’t really matter right now since they’ll have a chance to go head to head.

Early season losses can be overcome in the polls. This has been true since forever.

Oregon and USC’s relative position doesn’t really matter right now since they’ll have a chance to go head to head.
Ideally for the Pac-12:

UCLA beats USC (plus UA & Cal) to go 11-1.

USC beats Furd & ND to go 10-2.

Oregon beats UW, Utah & OSU to go 11-1.

Washington & Utah win their other games to finish ranked at 9-3.

Oregon State finishes 8-4, to maybe sneak into the Top 25 with Wazzu getting bowl eligible.

All that happens, with 5 or 6 teams from the conference in the final regular season Top 25 - it's a stone cold lock that the 12-1 conference champ makes the playoffs.

I don't know why anyone would be entertaining the fact that UGA is going to lose to anyone.

The committee is going to take UGA and probably OSU, maybe Michigan 1, 2. If TCU wins out they're #3, if Oregon wins out they're #4. After that it gets murky. If the Big Game is tight and TCU or Oregon stumbles, I think the loser of that game still gets in over Tennessee. You can't overlook the blowout loss.

Not like that. Especially when Tennessee looked a lot better than Oregon did against the same opponent.

Oregon's not a viable playoff team until TCU gets beat.

Not like that. Especially when Tennessee looked a lot better than Oregon did against the same opponent.

Oregon's not a viable playoff team until TCU gets beat.
Maybe not in your opinion but pollsters have done this forever. It’s also kind of irrelevant right now because of the remaining games.

Neither was Oregon's game with UGA.

USC-Tennessee is a different conversation than Oregon-Tennessee is.
I think an opener with a new coaching staff & transfer QB making his first start in September and traveling from PTZ to ETZ is a very different animal to a 3-hour drive to play your conference rival in November.

If Oregon wins out (UW, Utah, OSU + USC/UCLA), I think it's very reasonable they jump Tennessee which finishes with Mizzou, SC and Vandy.

I think an opener with a new coaching staff & transfer QB making his first start in September and traveling from PTZ to ETZ is a very different animal to a 3-hour drive to play your conference rival in November.

If Oregon wins out (UW, Utah, OSU + USC/UCLA), I think it's very reasonable they jump Tennessee which finishes with Mizzou, SC and Vandy.
I don't. Oregon looked god-awful against Georgia-like a lot worse than Tennessee did. They're not a viable playoff team without a TCU loss.

No ****????

Did you watch the game on Saturday?
I watched both. Tennessee looked outclassed by a better opponent. Oregon got down against UGA and flat quit. You don't get to play the new staff card when you look that ****ing bad.

This shouldn't even be a conversation.

I watched both. Tennessee looked outclassed by a better opponent. Oregon got down against UGA and flat quit. You don't get to play the new staff card when you look that ****ing bad.

Oh... the new staff card can be played under CERTAIN circumstances? Can we get those parameters?

It IS a conversation because most people understand context.

Oh... the new staff card can be played under CERTAIN circumstances? Can we get those parameters?

It IS a conversation because most people understand context.
You said it yourself last night-"I don't think Oregon is a viable playoff team"

Why are we still doing this, Duff? Do I need to quote that post for you or something?

If they both win out, one is a 12-1 P5 Champ and the other is 11-1 and didn’t win its own division. You’re right, this shouldn’t even be a conversation.

You can have a thing for Tennessee or any of the other teams that are in contention but we as fans don't decide, the committee does.

Just looking at it historically there are a lot of factors that seem (because they don't make their conversations public) to play in to the decision.

They do weight strength of schedule, they not only look at win and losses but pay attention to style points. They tend to put more emphasis on games at the end of a season than they do early, an early loss doesn't hurt a team as bad as a late one does.

They also, even though they officially aren't supposed to, make political considerations. They look at recent history prior to this year, was a team close and not get in. They also are very aware of which conferences (PAC) have not been represented lately.

All things considered you can like them as much as you want but unless some things happen in their favor I don't see Tennessee being in. I also see them if they did get in losing big in the first round. They have had a great season but the schedule has worked for them and I don't think they are as good as their record.

They have done an amazing job of rebuilding a program that not long ago wasn't even in a bowl but no they are not at the level of Georgia, Ohio State/Michigan yet.

You can have a thing for Tennessee or any of the other teams that are in contention but we as fans don't decide, the committee does.

Just looking at it historically there are a lot of factors that seem (because they don't make their conversations public) to play in to the decision.

They do weight strength of schedule, they not only look at win and losses but pay attention to style points. They tend to put more emphasis on games at the end of a season than they do early, an early loss doesn't hurt a team as bad as a late one does.

They also, even though they officially aren't supposed to, make political considerations. They look at recent history prior to this year, was a team close and not get in. They also are very aware of which conferences (PAC) have not been represented lately.

All things considered you can like them as much as you want but unless some things happen in their favor I don't see Tennessee being in. I also see them if they did get in losing big in the first round. They have had a great season but the schedule has worked for them and I don't think they are as good as their record.

They have done an amazing job of rebuilding a program that not long ago wasn't even in a bowl but no they are not at the level of Georgia, Ohio State/Michigan yet.
If you want to watch Georgia nuke Oregon for the second time this year be my guest. I'll pass. That first game was bad enough. Oregon didn't look like they belonged on the same field.

You said it yourself last night-"I don't think Oregon is a viable playoff team"

Why are we still doing this, Duff? Do I need to quote that post for you or something?

Because you are not making a convincing argument for Tennessee.

If Oregon finishes 12-1 they'll have ended the season on BY FAR the nation's hardest 4 game stretch. (currently) 7-2 UW, 7-2 Utah, 6-3 OSU, and 8-1 USC or UCLA. TCU has played 4 of their last 5 against ranked teams, and 3? of those were missing their starting QBs. Tennessee has wins over LSU and Alabama, NO denying those are absolutely outstanding victories. Their OOC also included Akron, UT Martin, and Ball State. Like come on. The SEC has 14 teams and plays 8 conference games. The Pac-12 GUARANTEES an extra week of going .500 with the 9th conference game while 3/4 of the SEC plays an FCS opponent in November. Stop propping the(best conference) SEC up with fake ****.

UM and tOSU play 4 road games. Oregon plays 6. FFS.

Back