What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac-10, 11, 12 or 14?

Pac size you want?

Results are only viewable after voting.
SMU is not run by a church and, therefore, has no restrictions on academic freedom. It is also going to achieve R1 status for research intensity. Quite different and there's more to it than saying that religious affiliation is the problem for Pac Presidents.
and for historical context, USC was a Methodist school when they joined the Pac until sometime in the 1950's

am I possibly the only one who thought Yak's Sunday question was sarcastic?

BYU will play on Sunday if you pay them enough. Jesus himself will appear before the AD and let him know it’s OK.
Normally, it's risky to say never about anything in life, excerpt death and taxes. However, BYU's no-Sunday-play policy is as absolute and non-negotiable as dying. BYU will drop intercollegiate athletics before agreeing to play on Sunday. No amount of money will ever change that stance. It is what is, speaking from half a century of following BYU and knowing what matters in Provo and witth the board of trustees. who would summarily veto any attempt by BYU's administration to do otherwise, which I also can't ever see happening.

I'm not asking or expecting anyone here to agree with that policy, just stating what it is and how that was part of the reason the Pac never wanted BYU. I recall Standord's president, about 25 years ago and after another BYU inquiry was slammed down, stating: "We'll play any time. We'll offend anyone." Somehow, the Big-12 (and WCC and MWC before it) agreed to deal with BYU's policy, so that's another reason why BYU is better suited to the Big-12 than the Pac.

SMU is not run by a church and, therefore, has no restrictions on academic freedom. It is also going to achieve R1 status for research intensity. Quite different and there's more to it than saying that religious affiliation is the problem for Pac Presidents.
I agree, though a conservative, religious school is an oil-water mix for the Pac's prevailing culture. To use a World War II metaphor, it was "a bridge too far" so in the end, both the Pac and BYU are better off without each other, even though BYU could have greatly helped the Pac in its current existential crisis.

Normally, it's risky to say never about anything in life, excerpt death and taxes. However, BYU's no-Sunday-play policy is as absolute and non-negotiable as dying. BYU will drop intercollegiate athletics before agreeing to play on Sunday. No amount of money will ever change that stance. It is what is, speaking from half a century of following BYU and knowing what matters in Provo and witth the board of trustees. who would summarily veto any attempt by BYU's administration to do otherwise, which I also can't ever see happening.

I'm not asking or expecting anyone here to agree with that policy, just stating what it is and how that was part of the reason the Pac never wanted BYU. I recall Standord's president, about 25 years ago and after another BYU inquiry was slammed down, stating: "We'll play any time. We'll offend anyone." Somehow, the Big-12 (and WCC and MWC before it) agreed to deal with BYU's policy, so that's another reason why BYU is better suited to the Big-12 than the Pac.
Lies No GIF

If the money was right, a loophole would miraculously appear.

I wasn't being sarcastic, I thought most of the basketball season was Thursday and Saturday games, didn't realize they played as often as they do on Sundays. My bad, assholes!
And I’m too lazy to look it up, but the NCAA Bball tournament plays 2nd round and elite 8 games on Sunday every year - has BYU never played in a Sunday tourney game?

It has somewhat to do with Religion but not as much as you want to make it out to be. The no play Sunday is a problem from a religion perspective but the bigger issue is that academically, BYU is not a very good match with the Pac and never will be. There are religious schools that the Pac will be affiliated with but there will be a better overall match with the remaining institutions in the Pac from a much broader perspective.
The current USNWR rankings of national universities have BYU at 89 and CU at 97.

Is the no Sunday thing equivalent to the no black people thing which God decided was okie dokie one day fairly recently

The current USNWR rankings of national universities have BYU at 89 and CU at 97.
Nobody with a brain thinks of the usnwr “rankings” as anything other than a glorified listicle.

According to the Shanghai ARWU rankings, we are 26th in the US, 51st in the world, and BYU is somewhere between 107-127 in the US, and somewhere between 401-500 in the world.

While not my belief system, I have a ton of respect for BYU refusing to compromise on its Sunday policy. The mission of the university cannot be compromised in that way. If the church were to decide that athletics revenue and prestige could override a core tenet of the faith (observing Sunday as a day of rest), that would be a step way too far. Respect.

Meh. Only a total fool would fail to see the value they would bring at this point. Great partner for UU and built in huge annual conference game with a lot of eyeballs. If the ship has sailed, it’s sailed. That doesn’t mean it’s not a good idea. It would be good for both parties.

While not my belief system, I have a ton of respect for BYU refusing to compromise on its Sunday policy. The mission of the university cannot be compromised in that way. If the church were to decide that athletics revenue and prestige could override a core tenet of the faith (observing Sunday as a day of rest), that would be a step way too far. Respect.
Thank you, much appreciated and that same respect hopefully reciprocated. I don't want to monopolize this thread so I'll add a response to a further question that another poster mentioned and then move on, unless more questions arise.

BYU's 1958 and 1961 baseball teams qualified for the College World Series, the only teams in the school's history to do so. However, both teams forfeited their games because they were scheduled for Sunday. In 1963, the NCAA adopted what some call "The BYU Rule," which stated that any university which opts not to play on Sunday, for religious reasons, will be accommodated in NCAA tournaments. That's why BYU always gets a Thursday/Saturday slot in March Madness. As far as I know, only Campbell University also adheres to a no-Sunday-play policy. In BYU's case, there are also no team practices on Sundays in any sport.

BYU was supposed to play in the 1977 Fiesta Bowl, as WAC champion, but passed, due to it being scheduled for Sunday and not an NCAA tournament (Arizona State went instead). Instead the team traveled to Japan and played two exhibition games against Japanese teams.

Thank you, much appreciated and that same respect hopefully reciprocated. I don't want to monopolize this thread so I'll add a response to a further question that another poster mentioned and then move on, unless more questions arise.

BYU's 1958 and 1961 baseball teams qualified for the College World Series, the only teams in the school's history to do so. However, both teams forfeited their games because they were scheduled for Sunday. In 1963, the NCAA adopted what some call "The BYU Rule," which stated that any university which opts not to play on Sunday, for religious reasons, will be accommodated in NCAA tournaments. That's why BYU always gets a Thursday/Saturday slot in March Madness. As far as I know, only Campbell University also adheres to a no-Sunday-play policy. In BYU's case, there are also no team practices on Sundays in any sport.

BYU was supposed to play in the 1977 Fiesta Bowl, as WAC champion, but passed, due to it being scheduled for Sunday and not an NCAA tournament (Arizona State went instead). Instead the team traveled to Japan and played two exhibition games against Japanese teams.

Doesn't appear that Campbell has that policy anymore

It is not AAU nor a research school. The mission and academics do not match up. Good degree but that ranking, as has been discussed, is not the end all be all in ranking universities

I can't say I know a ton about this stuff, but what's the real difference between: BYU, SMU, and Notre Dame? Just academic rankings? Closeness of the church backing them? Political activity?
Maybe because if this?? Dunno.

Split from the United Methodist Church​

In light of the turmoil within the Methodist Church over what it described as "fundamental differences" over LGBTQ policies, the university decided to separate itself from control of the church.

In November 2019, the SMU board filed with the state of Texas amended articles of incorporation that eliminated the United Methodist Church's rights as listed in the 1996 articles.

Campbell…nope.
1680088760403.png

edit: aaaand, I miami’d myself

Last edited:
Pac-11...10 conference games and two non-conference games. What's not to like about that?

Back