What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

This is the natural end result after the NIL stuff passed. Schools like CU cannot compete financially with schools like Ohio St, USC, Texas, etc. Sad to see it, but it was either this or watch CU get curb stomped by 60 every week.
Unless they put regulations on this, it's only going to get bigger.

Blow it up. This is largely inevitable. I’m actually ok with this. I no longer feel the need to pretend CU has any kind of relevance in college athletics.
If this happens we don't get a B1G invite...

Considering the culture at CU and the way they don't want to compromise on mission, maybe the path is to talk to KU and others about dropping football and forming a western Big East type conference. Soccer, Basketball, Lacrosse as the anchors for the 3 seasons. If we keep football, do it Villanova style and compete on the Ivy League level.

Last edited:
After a moment to reflect, I think we all knew something like this would happen.

If CU goes along to the B1G, I hope the B1G has enough sense to light a fire under the admin. to insist they be competitive.

If CU does not go along, we become members of a G5 effectively.

Either way, wherever CU lands, can we at least put in the effort to be on par with our peers?

This is a win-win for me since there’s 2 possible major outcomes:

1) CU is boned and loses football entirely - I don’t have to watch this trash anymore and my addiction is cured via intervention by the free market

2) CU competes against fellow losers and games are entertaining again

CU will be in the MWC in 2024, I don't see the allure for the BIG to take a PAC bottom feeder.

If this all plays out unfavorably, would Tad want to stick around in a mid-level conference or accept a school playing in one of the big 3 conferences. Rick George signed the death March for football with the Dorrell hire. It would be absolutely demoralizing if this impacted the basketball program. CU athletics would not recover from that, they would permanently be a JV squad mid-level conference team - that would be Rick George's legacy.

How can you regulate conference realignment? You cannot force teams to do what is necessary for them to survive if they have options. And that is exactly what UCLA and USC are doing here.
Fair enough, what do you think is driving conference realignment?

Nice.

Give us a reset. Make this sport about the schools again. I don’t watch CFB for top tier talent or mega money deals, I have the NFL for that.

Put us in a league of similar schools where there’s some parity and as long as we can afford our stadium and stuff idc anymore. They’re gonna kill the golden goose and return to a more school focused model eventually so we may as well have some fun with schools of our caliber instead of getting our asses beat by everyone all the time.

For those of you alive in the 90s and earlier… sorry but we suck and have for a long time. It’s not gonna come back so may as well embrace it lol
It is going to be a difficult time with lots of turmoil but I think eventually most of college football is going to settle back into being what college football should be, not a minor league professional sports organization.

There will be that group of pro sports programs that are entirely about buying championships and putting the highest quality talent on the field regardless of cost and compromise.

Don't see that happening to include CU, and many other schools.
CU needs to focus on becoming basketball school.
Too bad but college basketball isn't far behind college football in seeing a separation of a win at all cost division.

google not immediately helping. if anyone wants to break down the salient points of the Pac 12 GoR, TIA.

milhouse GIF

it's crazy to me that I'm barely even conjuring anger over this. Like lets say CU were to be randomly invited to the B1G, would I be happy? I guess, but I'd also feel like I know we just can't compete there.

Maybe some merge of MWC/P12/B12 is more our speed

Or we somehow become a ****ty MWC team, that'd also make sense

The BIG was supposedly interested in CU when CU announced its move to the Pac 10. A lot has changed since then, but a few rumors floating around that CU may not be left out. It makes sense with CU's natural rivalry and proximity to Nebraska, huge midwest alumni located in Colorado, AAU status, and the rest of the BIG is going to need a whipping boy for an easy win every year.
Hey, why not CU? It can be good for conference rankings, by one metric, to have a conference game that is always winnable--even on the road--for the big schools of the conference. Being a Vandy alumnus, I know what it's like to be the conference team every other team gets the free win on. CU can be that for the B12. It's one of the few ways of viewing this that our decade-long suck would be a benefit.

And we do have that natural rivalry with NUBs, and we've actually been competitive in that one recently (and we didn't play MSU badly). Though, those factors play against my point. That's because my point sucks and is nothing but wishful thinking as we circle the drain of major college football.

Hey why not CU? It can be good for conference rankings, by one metric, to have a conference game that is always winnable--even on the road, for the big schools of the conference. Being a Vandy alumnus, I know what it's like to be the conference team every other team gets the free win on. CU can be that for the B12. It's one of the few ways of viewing this that our decade-long suck would be a benefit.

And we do have that natural rivalry with NUBs, and we've actually been competitive in that one recently (and we didn't play MSU badly). Though, those factors play against my point. That's because my point sucks and is nothing but wishful thinking as we circle the drain of major college football.
They already have Rutgers in that role.

Time to just restructure the whole god damn thing

Make your Super League of 48 Teams
Make your next LEAGUE with another 48 teams (CU belongs here)

They already have Rutgers in that role.
So, two easy wins. Why not? Every school, but Rutgers, can sit their big NIL players for some rest, and even get a high-altitude workout in the Champions Center (it will finally live up to its billing). CFA will become like the NBA with stars sitting out the full, easy games to keep the wear and tear off their bodies. We can give third string a run for their... money...

It's definitely a move by the B1G to insure itself against a possible SEC expansion. I think this essentially guarantees a possible super league can only be a merger of sorts unless the schools just go and do their own thing under their own umbrella.
I don't remember who first predicted 2 Super Conferences, but it's looking more and more like that will be the case. There is an outside chance that there could be a third super conference with the best remaining teams that aren't in the SEC or B1G, but do you even really want to be in that conference?

College football has definitely changed forever.

Time to just restructure the whole god damn thing

Make your Super League of 48 Teams
Make your next LEAGUE with another 48 teams (CU belongs here)
I don't disagree with this. I used to love the old bowl system before the playoffs ruined everything. It gave teams like CU something to root for. It never bothered me that we only occasionally competed for a NC. I went to all the bowl games and had a hell of a great time, almost every year. My family was always excited for CU games. Of course, we didn't flat-out suck back then. (I also loved the 2016 season, and we weren't really in the NC/playoff hunt.)

I would be happy to have a fair level of competition. I have no interest in watching OSC, Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, et al run to the playoffs each year. I'm just tired of watching money play money instead of watching football. It reminds me of watching an athlete you know dopes run against athletes who don't.
Let's hear it for the All Drug Olympics version of CFA: "Oh no, the $5 Million QB has decided not to play the rest of the year. He sprained his ankle. Not gonna risk that NFL contract. That's gotta hurt the team's chances."

Last edited:
Back