What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Coach Prime is a unicorn.

That said, he should be the catalyst for building an operation and reputation which is sustainable after him even though you're not going to hire someone comparable when the time comes to replace him.

The University may, but I’m not sure the AD does. This is so much fun right now, but I doubt we’re selling 35,000 tickets to a spring game for a non-Prime coached team. Donors are excited and engaged and season tickets are hard to get right now and while I hope you’re right that we suddenly flipped a switch with how the school and its supporters fund this program, I remain skeptical that this level can be sustained post Prime. For now it’s a hell of a lot of fun though.
I already said I don’t think this level is sustainable post-Prime, because this level of support is unprecedented for a program like CU. My point is that it doesn’t take an unprecedented level of support to recruit in the top 20, attract great coaches, and compete for being one of the top 12 teams in the country.

Edit: I also maintain that with a pro athletics President, the University has the money, therefore the AD has the money to do whatever it wants

Why don’t we just enjoy Prime while we can?
I agree.

But I think we need to walk & chew gum at the same time. Learn our lesson from how we simply enjoyed it when Mac was here - not putting together the infrastructure and networks to make the success sustainable after he was gone. We need to demand that all the attention and resources Coach Prime brings to CU are parlayed into long-term, consistent greatness.

The University may, but I’m not sure the AD does. This is so much fun right now, but I doubt we’re selling 35,000 tickets to a spring game for a non-Prime coached team. Donors are excited and engaged and season tickets are hard to get right now and while I hope you’re right that we suddenly flipped a switch with how the school and its supporters fund this program, I remain skeptical that this level can be sustained post Prime. For now it’s a hell of a lot of fun though.
It seems you're ignoring the fundamental thing here....Saliman is not Benson and the hobbit has no say in anything from what has been reported out. Saliman understands the economic relationship between the AD and academics, wasn't the case before.

Really?

Why don’t we just enjoy Prime while we can?
I think we all are. But back to the point of my original post, I think it’s naive to think that Prime makes CU more appealing in the context of conference realignment when coaching tenures are often very short and these conference media deals are looking longer term.

Why don’t we just completely support Prime, including paying him and his preferred assistants as much money as it takes? He’s got at least another 10-15 of coaching in him.
Ideal scenario and one I think most people are sleeping on. I’m probably naive in saying this but seeing everything he is doing and building at CU, essentially creating something from scratch in his image, it’s hard to imagine him leaving as long as we provide the money and resources, AND have access to the playoff.

Ideal scenario and one I think most people are sleeping on. I’m probably naive in saying this but seeing everything he is doing and building at CU, essentially creating something from scratch in his image, it’s hard to imagine him leaving as long as we provide the money and resources, AND have access to the playoff.
THIS is why he came here.
He wanted a place where he could pretty much do anything he wanted, and none of the other jobs had that level of runway and freedom to do it.
He loves it here, and he has put his stamp on everything, but still respects Coach Mac and the history, and he is a Unicorn that if things go smoothly for a year, year and a half, should get a major package put together for him to continue the build.

You always assume the best possible scenario though. Not saying it's impossible, but sunshine pumping aint gonna mean **** if Prime's best coaches are getting hired away to do the same job for twice the salary at ****ing northwestern or vanderbilt.

You always assume the best possible scenario though. Not saying it's impossible, but sunshine pumping aint gonna mean **** if Prime's best coaches are getting hired away to do the same job for twice the salary at ****ing northwestern or vanderbilt.
Yeah, I mean I said as long as we provide the money and resources. We have no idea what this massive disparity in revenue is going to do to the salaries of assistant coaches. How much is too much for a Prime-led CU AD to pay for coordinators and positions coaches? They reportedly have an AC salary pool of around $6m and Prime is currently making $6m/year. This AD can easily afford to double that with the revenue they are bringing in because of Prime. That kind of money should be plenty to keep up with most in the P2.

Interesting point. We would have to reboot the matrix if we’re losing coaches to northwestern and vandy. I look at it this way, the avg NFL coordinator makes $1M. I know some make more. But an NFL coordinator is way more valuable (from a business sense) than a CFB coordinator. Maybe there is somewhat of a market cap to how much that job is worth.

Prime has been to the mountain top. He is a HOF, GOAT, and Super Bowl Champ. It won’t be about money. If Prime determines he can’t win a championship here, he will leave.

Interesting point. We would have to reboot the matrix if we’re losing coaches to northwestern and vandy. I look at it this way, the avg NFL coordinator makes $1M. I know some make more. But an NFL coordinator is way more valuable (from a business sense) than a CFB coordinator. Maybe there is somewhat of a market cap to how much that job is worth.
My guess the more money a school makes, the more money they will spend. If there is a market cap, I doubt it's been hit yet.

i woke up this morning and we are still not in the b12. but, the peeps on social media have assured us all that it is imminent. and FOR SURE happening.

so until these geniuses prove to be accurate:

**** the big 12 to hell and back.

Music Video Fire GIF by Sabaton

i woke up this morning and we are still not in the b12. but, the peeps on social media have assured us all that it is imminent. and FOR SURE happening.

so until these geniuses prove to be accurate:

**** the big 12 to hell and back.

Music Video Fire GIF by Sabaton
For you.

The Arizona president said basically that the Pac-12/10 is sticking together a couple hours ago as well. The Big12 pusher on the Arizona 247 site has gone almost completely silent.

The Arizona president said basically that the Pac-12/10 is sticking together a couple hours ago as well. The Big12 pusher on the Arizona 247 site has gone almost completely silent.
University Presidents will back their conference until they don't.

It's obvious all of them want to stay but will there be a deal worth staying for?

University Presidents will back their conference until they don't.

It's obvious all of them want to stay but will there be a deal worth staying for?

It sure sound like the AZ president thinks the money will be there. Paraphrasing, he basically said if the difference is only a couple million less per year then it isn't worth moving over.

Back