What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Paul Chryst - Former Wisconsin HC

I would think Chryst would help keep the in-state OL here, and I wonder if he would have any kind of success pulling OL prospects from Wisconsin, Iowa, or PA like he has at UW.

My only hesitation with him is his plan for building the trenches like he did at Wisconsin without the abundance of midwest kids who grew up dreaming of playing for Wisconsin.
My hesitation with Chryst would be whether a guy like him, coming off a 7+ year run at his alma mater needs a break to reset and get reenergized before getting back into coaching. Maybe being fired this early in the season is enough time, but that job is a grind.

Now what I love about Chryst is his teams have an identity and dude knows how to hire defensive coaches - the DC’s that have worked for him at Pitt and Wisc are a who’s who of DCs:

Dave Huxtable - Currently Analyst at Bama
Matt House - Currently DC at LSU
Dave Aranda - Baylor HC
Justin Wilcox - Cal HC
Jim Leonhard - Wiscy Interim
Make the call and see where he's at mentally regardless.

The problem with guys who are coordinators currently is that they don’t have the cachet to demand certain conditions be met. Guys like Chryst, Mendenhall and Herman can all make demands and get them in writing whereas others won’t have that leverage. I believe we need somebody like Bzdelik who forced the admin to do certain things before he would agree to come here. Get that in football and we have a pathway back to success. Just hiring another up and coming coach won’t get us there.

Make the call and see where he's at mentally regardless.
He supposedly reduced his buyout from $20m to $11m, so he could go coach immediately, without the buyout being offset by new salary. He'll be a HC again next year somewhere making around $5m or more, so he'll make up that $9m within the first 2 years of his new contract.

He supposedly reduced his buyout from $20m to $11m, so he could go coach immediately, without the buyout being offset by new salary. He'll be a HC again next year somewhere making around $5m or more, so he'll make up that $9m within the first 2 years of his new contract.
No doubt. I like him, but I like Herman and Mendenhall a little more because I feel like they already have the TX/CO/CA networks. If Bronco can get Anae to follow him here, that would be phenomenal.

The problem with guys who are coordinators currently is that they don’t have the cachet to demand certain conditions be met. Guys like Chryst, Mendenhall and Herman can all make demands and get them in writing whereas others won’t have that leverage. I believe we need somebody like Bzdelik who forced the admin to do certain things before he would agree to come here. Get that in football and we have a pathway back to success. Just hiring another up and coming coach won’t get us there.
Good call.

Funny. There’s a guy over on 247 who says he’s a UGA fan, but has a hobby of writing ADs and Chancellors/Presidents with all his knowledge on coaching candidates, who says Chryst is a hard pass for CU. For the record, his #1 CU candidate is Sean Lewis from Kent State.
His Chryst stance is weird, but I actually don’t think Lewis is a bad suggestion.

His Chryst stance is weird, but I actually don’t think Lewis is a bad suggestion.
His Chryst stance is 19-19 at Pitt (maintained, if not slightly worse than before he got there) and he again, maintained an already built Wisconsin program by continuing to recruit the top OL in the state and region and run the same system that has made Wisconsin what they are. He doesn't think he would have the same ability at a place like Colorado, which I get, and would definitely be a question mark. He also says Wisconsin is an easy job because of the easy B1G West, which OK, but the only program Wisconsin hasn't beaten in the B1G during Chryst's tenure is Ohio State, I believe. I think his analysis and reasoning is a little surface level in some ways, but I understand it.

I don't know, after thinking about it, I think Chryst is a great choice. Immediate respectability and great network, imo. His track record with DC hiring is incredible. His offenses away from Wisconsin were also impressive.

Just seems like an easy, high-floor answer

Last edited:
I would do horrible things for CU to enjoy Wisconsin’s recent success under Chryst. Also, even though this isn’t a main criteria, I could see him sticking around once he’s rolling which would be nice
One Grossman, one gross cup?

If RG is really just looking at HC experience then Chryst would have to be at the top of his list. He seemed pretty average at Pitt when he was there and I think that has to be more comparable to CU than what he did at Wisconsin.

You have to make the call and gauge interest, but I am not sure I'd be super pumped about this.

His Chryst stance is 19-19 at Pitt (maintained, if not slightly worse than before he got there) and he again, maintained an already built Wisconsin program by continuing to recruit the top OL in the state and region and run the same system that has made Wisconsin what they are. He doesn't think he would have the same ability at a place like Colorado, which I get, and would definitely be a question mark. He also says Wisconsin is an easy job because of the easy B1G West, which OK, but the only program Wisconsin hasn't beaten in the B1G during Chryst's tenure is Ohio State, I believe. I think his analysis and reasoning is a little surface level in some ways, but I understand it.
He is very down on Herman because of boosters telling him he had lost the respect of HS coaches in the state. That put up a major red flag for me in regards to their insane fans and boosters. However, I've enjoyed his responses and info on a lot of the candidates.

I also find it pretty hilarious that he reached out to RG and LC in 2020 to give "his suggestions" and they never returned his email. :ROFLMAO:

I read the whole piece. I think there were some uncomfortable truths from a lot of angles, including mismanagement by Chryst and the school.

Something not said that probably needed to be said is Barry Alvarez was given way too much power for too long and now Wisconsin has been caught flat-footed in a rapidly changing landscape.

I read the whole piece. I think there were some uncomfortable truths from a lot of angles, including mismanagement by Chryst and the school.

Something not said that probably needed to be said is Barry Alvarez was given way too much power for too long and now Wisconsin has been caught flat-footed in a rapidly changing landscape.
Let's say Leonhard gets the job. What do you do with the offense if you're him? Do you stick with what Wisconsin has always done, which inherently attracts the elite OL and RBs, or do you move to a more modern college offense and risk losing the uniqueness that has made Wisconsin?

Chryst just seems like a guy that would disappoint at CU. Narduzzi has Pitt solid and Wiscy was worse than their norm. I don’t think he would move the needle much for CU

I'd feel like Chryst would just be collecting a check at CU. His recruiting is a no go with the last regime

This is exactly what has happened within CU and CSU over the past 4 years. Both schools have absolutely ABYSMAL recruiting operations. I posted a couple years back about high profile in-state recruits who would show up at camps and no one on staff knew who they were. After they showed out someone would approach them and admit "Sorry, we don't have a 'book' on you yet." Meanwhile, these recruits already had multiple P5 offers. One kid in fact, had both parents who attended CU and had grown up with season tickets wanting to play for the Buffs. He signed with Oregon and is now at Wisconsin.

My hesitation with Chryst would be whether a guy like him, coming off a 7+ year run at his alma mater needs a break to reset and get reenergized before getting back into coaching. Maybe being fired this early in the season is enough time, but that job is a grind.

Now what I love about Chryst is his teams have an identity and dude knows how to hire defensive coaches - the DC’s that have worked for him at Pitt and Wisc are a who’s who of DCs:

Dave Huxtable - Currently Analyst at Bama
Matt House - Currently DC at LSU
Dave Aranda - Baylor HC
Justin Wilcox - Cal HC
Jim Leonhard - Wiscy Interim
Some guys know football. Karl Dorrell hired Chris Wilson.

Wow - the recruiting piece definitely has me rethinking Chryst.

We NEED a dynamic recruiter, just as much as we need a rethinking of the admissions process re: transfers.

Colorado is looked at as a joke by way too many kids these days. We need someone who understands how to get things turned around in these kids' heads.

Back