What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

QB choice?

What should be the call at QB?

• Total voters
My issue with the situational usage of Lewis is that it would be for wildcat sets. He's really poor at reading & recognizing a defense in the run game - getting out of plays the defense is stacked to stop, reading the End to choose whether to hand off or pull it on zone read, recognizing blitzes to hit a receiver on a hot read. Since he can't do those things, I don't know what the situation is when I'd pull Shrout to put him in.
Lewis is absolutely, unequivocally NOT a wildcat QB. What changes putting him in situationally? The defense knows he's going to run because of the situation AND the fact he can't throw for sh!t past 8 yards. 8 in the box with run blitz. Easy peasy.

A lot of this loss is on the coaches, particulary the D coaches. We played a great 1st half and then, like so many times last year, changed nothing for the 2nd half. Their coaches made adjustments, spread the field, rushed us a new A-hole.

The O sucked too.
Absent Klatt watching the game, I see Barnett as the most authoritative, informed - and loving - critic of the Buffs. When JS threw the bad ball, GB immediately said, "that's his problem" and noted that at TN, and at practice here, he thinks he can complete evey pass and will throw into coverage all day. I'm guess KD does a balance.
There is no doubt, Lewis plays nervous.
Gary Barnett should Shut up. Shrout forced a pass with 8 seconds left in the half. We should want him to do that!

He should shut up, rather than tell fans why coaches don't play JS? I thought that was his job as a commentator.

People should respect your opinion more than GB's (or the TN coaches)? Good luck.

Assuming KD felt pressured to switch QBs, you should wonder how much it hurt the team as a whole to have him back off his beliefs.

“(Shrout) hasn’t proven anything to think that he’s the guy, so we have to continue to develop that position,” Dorrell said. “Maybe we need to look at some of these younger guys, too. Younger than our younger guys. It is what it is, but it’s a challenge right now.”

Assuming KD felt pressured to switch QBs, you should wonder how much it hurt the team as a whole to have him back off his beliefs.

“(Shrout) hasn’t proven anything to think that he’s the guy, so we have to continue to develop that position,” Dorrell said. “Maybe we need to look at some of these younger guys, too. Younger than our younger guys. It is what it is, but it’s a challenge right now.”
They will probably play McCown just enough to burn his redshirt. Also, shrout deserves at least another chance as he gives CU the best chance to win between him, Lewis and Carter. How many dropped passes were there in yesterday's game?

First game in two years, in a cold rain and his receivers are dropping passes all over and you want to turn the page and you think KD should move on to a true freshman.
…you are an idiot.

By all accounts he isn’t physically ready. This is a bad idea
I don’t know what the redshirt rules are these days, but I would maximize his playtime with a few series here and there to get him live reps without being subjected to the wear and tear of starting or sustained play.

Why CU refuses to ever bring a QB on slowly with limited early PT is beyond me.

I don’t know what the redshirt rules are these days, but I would maximize his playtime with a few series here and there to get him live reps without being subjected to the wear and tear of starting or sustained play.

Why CU refuses to ever bring a QB on slowly with limited early PT is beyond me.
Appearances in four games are allowed without burning a redshirt. So Dorrell would most likely let him play in garbage time ( there will be plenty of that) for 5 games.

Oregon
USC
Washington
Utah

You trying to get him killed?
So we recruited a guy who were afraid to have play good teams? By then he’d have been in our S&C program for 5 or 6 months. If he’s going to be the man next season, at least get him reps this season.

So we recruited a guy who were afraid to have play good teams? By then he’d have been in our S&C program for 5 or 6 months. If he’s going to be the man next season, at least get him reps this season.
Reps this season, absolutely. Putting an undersized kid in against the toughest portion of your schedule because you’ve done a s**tty job recruiting in front of him isn’t fair to McCown. You want your young qb to gain some valuable experience and some confidence in your offense, not to be a sacrificial lamb in a lost season. Design a script for him to play a couple series in the UCLA, Arizona, Cal stretch of games to give him a feel.

Reps this season, absolutely. Putting an undersized kid in against the toughest portion of your schedule because you’ve done a s**tty job recruiting in front of him isn’t fair to McCown. You want your young qb to gain some valuable experience and some confidence in your offense, not to be a sacrificial lamb in a lost season. Design a script for him to play a couple series in the UCLA, Arizona, Cal stretch of games to give him a feel.
I’ll buy into that.

i think this football team could start the Lord Jesus Himself at qb and still not score TDs.

simply put, we knew this team was going to struggle after all the transfers out. and, again, please note that the vast majority of those transfers are contributing/starting at what should be peer programs.

we also knew that, no matter how good the talent that remained in the program might be it was both young and inexperienced.

we also knew that lewis' body of work last year did not suggest he was a savior at qb but we heard the staff tell us how improved he was. we had everyone's favorite player, the backup qb, just raring to break out and do things. we thought.

we also knew that this hc has a hard time making adjustments when and if anything disrupts his "plan."

we also knew that this schedule was not going to allow for a lot self inflicted wounds out of the gate.

we also knew that chris wilson was not a savant as a coordinator and the new oc had a spotty, at best, track record coming in.

we knew all of these things. yet, we still, as fans, had hope. a small tiny bit for some, an irrational heaping pile for others, but a little hope...

the failures with this program are systemic, overwhelming, and beyond the scope of a qb change to fix.

i fully expect kd will trot out the 3rd string qb at some point, trying to get the "spark" the offense needs. it won't be enough, of course.

Borrowed from someone, for the cutting edge football experts here:

5-21 for 51 yards against service academy. Have to think any of the QB’s in the QB room do that in their sleep.

1-13 on 3rd and 4th down

He was given the ball in great field position many times and couldn’t get it done.

I counted a few times he threw the ball in the hands of the D Backs.

But that early slide short with plenty of room the get the 4th down …. With the game still I’m the balance was just awful for a guy who wants to lead a team. Business decision. Didn’t show me that he gets the keys for the rest of the year.

Borrowed from someone, for the cutting edge football experts here:

5-21 for 51 yards against service academy. Have to think any of the QB’s in the QB room do that in their sleep.

1-13 on 3rd and 4th down

He was given the ball in great field position many times and couldn’t get it done.

I counted a few times he threw the ball in the hands of the D Backs.

But that early slide short with plenty of room the get the 4th down …. With the game still I’m the balance was just awful for a guy who wants to lead a team. Business decision. Didn’t show me that he gets the keys for the rest of the year.
What was his net adjusted passing rate?

I have thought about the OP for a while. Am I the only one who thinks there should be a poll option labeled: "Hobson's"?

Back