What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Racism in football perceptions

247 has a better composite ranking system. Go to their site and look up ratings by conference while KD was employed there. Tell me what you find.

I found that Colorado was higher up in the rankings when they had 7-10 more commits. Was that what you wanted to point out? I would guide you back to your own source to reinspect it and you will find huge issues with your own argument. When both schools bought in an equal amount of recruits the rankings are not close. Please don't get me wrong. I'm not defending the hire I just find the vitriol over the top and ridiculous.

I found that Colorado was higher up in the rankings when they had 7-10 more commits. Was that what you wanted to point out? I would guide you back to your own source to reinspect it and you will find huge issues with your own argument. When both schools bought in an equal amount of recruits the rankings are not close. Please don't get me wrong. I'm not defending the hire I just find the vitriol over the top and ridiculous.
I have vitriol because I was told we are shooting for the stars. This hire doesn’t do that. Hopefully we don’t crash and burn.

I included the CU comparisons as a matter of insight of another program recruiting in LA. I’ve made my points. Y’all can disagree or agree. I’m over it.

I fail to see how this a racial issue, but I will say Karl makes me think of Don Simmons** more than Bob Simmons, who should have been our first black head coach.

This is a really interesting thread/topic. I think the thing for me, and what I’ve seen, is a really basic conundrum. Good head coaches are invariably unique personalities.

Great head coaches are unique+++. But unique doesn’t do enough to describe the traits that make them good or great. They are hard core visionaries, people that exude personality traits that have the ability to create almost a cult like following. Mac was this guy (The Gospel according to Mac)....and it makes sense. Getting 100+ young men bought into a vision and ready to give of themselves is what makes a college football team great.

Now, transpose that set of personality traits on a man of color. That man then (from what I’ve seen) potentially feels like a threat to the masses. The net affect is you have coaches of color trying to take the “safe” route. Don’t ruffle any feathers, don’t do anything that could be seen as provocative, “stay in your lane”. I see these “safe” guys getting HC jobs because the institution wants to give a chance to a minority, but doesn’t want to take a chance. This man feels comfortable enough to white people.

The result of these “chances” has provided a false reading of the capabilities of minority coaches....and likely explains why many minority coaches do not get a second chance.

IMO, the real answer is that society needs to get to the point of being able to embrace a minority coach with more extreme intricacies. Allow him to exude the more extreme traits that speak to young men. When a black coach has the freedom to be able to stand up in front of a crowd and speak of his beliefs freely, and how he asks young men to buy into these beliefs (Speak his own Gospel), then we will be at a point where minority coaches will be able to be given the same “chances” as white coaches.

The institution still has a ways to go to get to this point, unfortunately...and it’s pretty ****ed up IYAM.

This is a really interesting thread/topic. I think the thing for me, and what I’ve seen, is a really basic conundrum. Good head coaches are invariably unique personalities.

Great head coaches are unique+++. But unique doesn’t do enough to describe the traits that make them good or great. They are hard core visionaries, people that exude personality traits that have the ability to create almost a cult like following. Mac was this guy (The Gospel according to Mac)....and it makes sense. Getting 100+ young men bought into a vision and ready to give of themselves is what makes a college football team great.

Now, transpose that set of personality traits on a man of color. That man then (from what I’ve seen) potentially feels like a threat to the masses. The net affect is you have coaches of color trying to take the “safe” route. Don’t ruffle any feathers, don’t do anything that could be seen as provocative, “stay in your lane”. I see these “safe” guys getting HC jobs because the institution wants to give a chance to a minority, but doesn’t want to take a chance. This man feels comfortable enough to white people.

The result of these “chances” has provided a false reading of the capabilities of minority coaches....and likely explains why many minority coaches do not get a second chance.

IMO, the real answer is that society needs to get to the point of being able to embrace a minority coach with more extreme intricacies. Allow him to exude the more extreme traits that speak to young men. When a black coach has the freedom to be able to stand up in front of a crowd and speak of his beliefs freely, and how he asks young men to buy into these beliefs (Speak his own Gospel), then we will be at a point where minority coaches will be able to be given the same “chances” as white coaches.

The institution still has a ways to go to get to this point, unfortunately...and it’s pretty ****ed up IYAM.
I disagree some, but definitely see your point.

I think I see your point. The AA coaches who have gotten jobs tend to not only be older when they get their shot. They really seem to have to pay their dues a lot longer. But then they are more in the "consummate professional" lane while having to be likable.

Or you even have cases like Charlie Strong. DC under Holtz at South Carolina where they took a program in shambles, went 0-11 the first year, and then came out of nowhere with 2 straight Top 25 seasons. It took him another 9 years to get a HC shot (which was at Louisville, a G5 at the time, after winning national titles under Urban as DC at Florida). Word is that there were deep concerns about how well he could do at booster functions because he is married to a white woman. So much stuff is still so ****ed up.

I think I see your point. The AA coaches who have gotten jobs tend to not only be older when they get their shot. They really seem to have to pay their dues a lot longer. But then they are more in the "consummate professional" lane while having to be likable.

Or you even have cases like Charlie Strong. DC under Holtz at South Carolina where they took a program in shambles, went 0-11 the first year, and then came out of nowhere with 2 straight Top 25 seasons. It took him another 9 years to get a HC shot (which was at Louisville, a G5 at the time, after winning national titles under Urban as DC at Florida). Word is that there were deep concerns about how well he could do at booster functions because he is married to a white woman. So much stuff is still so ****ed up.
My post wasn’t as clear as I would have liked it to be. But yes, all of this is what I’m referencing. There are many good minority coaches that should get more opportunities (not just HC opportunities) than they do, but are held back by concerns over all kinds of BS like your referencing above.

Last edited:
Back