What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Realignment impact on hoops?

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
What are you guys thinking?

At first I thought it would be a nothingburger since with the way the Dance is set up we'll be in about the same position regardless of what conference we end up affiliated with.

My concern, though, is that the realignment is going to happen in two phases. Phase 1 is what we're seeing now. Phase 2 is the craziness in the early 2030s when the ACC's GoR is about to expire.

I am starting to worry about what it means for hoops if every resource for the next decade is put to football at the expense of everything else in order to give ourselves the best chance in Phase 2. I think that's a very real possibility.

Particularly when Tad decides to retire and we have to go out and find a new coach. Likely going to be looking at a budget hire, and unlikely to hit gold twice.

Also, it wouldn't shock me if Arizona & Kansas - knowing they're outside the B1G & SEC current or future considerations - joined the Big East and started playing an independent football schedule.

Particularly when Tad decides to retire and we have to go out and find a new coach. Likely going to be looking at a budget hire, and unlikely to hit gold twice.
Hoping they can bring Nate Tomlinson home. Think he has the makings of a hell of a basketball coach.

Hoping they can bring Nate Tomlinson home. Think he has the makings of a hell of a basketball coach.
only if it's in 10 years and Nate's spent the last 3 battling Tad for national titles.

(my gut reaction to hiring all former buffs is negative at this point)

Reactions: '99
only if it's in 10 years and Nate's spent the last 3 battling Tad for national titles.

(my gut reaction to hiring all former buffs is negative at this point)

Haha understandable. I just like NT and think that a lot of the recruiting improvement the oast couple seasons was due in large part to him.

Really? I'd say with the trajectory of the program and playing in a better basketball conference, we're looking at continued success.

Going from a program that’s arguably top third of a conference to the top half. Potentially losing SoCal as a recruiting spot. Uncertainty over Tad’s timeframe. AD shifting all resources to football.

I’m not optimistic.

Going from a program that’s arguably top third of a conference to the top half. Potentially losing SoCal as a recruiting spot. Uncertainty over Tad’s timeframe. AD shifting all resources to football.

I’m not optimistic.
"Shifting all resources to football" implies they at some point allocated resources to basketball. You know very well that isn't true.

"Shifting all resources to football" implies they at some point allocated resources to basketball. You know very well that isn't true.
Fair with a "not since Bohn" caveat. But what if Tad retires after this year and instead of the AD being willing to spend the money to hire a Turgeon we end up with an internal promotion to economize? That's my big fear.

Didn't like Bohn for many reasons but he did try to get the students involved in basketball and he didn't take away the Supa Duba Tuba cheer. Having students competing for points to go to the Pac12 tourney was a great move.

RG doesn't care about basketball period.

I think the story was that RG was going to "Fix" football then turn his focus on Basketball.

I get that theory, given Football's Revenue, but when do you consider football "Fixed"?
  • A winning record
  • Major Bowl game
  • Conference championship
  • National Championship
  • Return National Championship
My point is that "fixing football then helping basketball" is unobtainable. No matter what, no one would be satisfied.

Mike Bohn had plenty of items he could have improved upon, but the pendulum swing to RG is rather disappointing as a basketball fan.

Would be nice if RG appointed a Basketball focused (Ill even settle with a court sport focused) director with autonomy and a healthy budget and ownership of added revenue. Then let them go do what is needed to grow the program. I get the argument that this should be something they should be able to do with their current massive Athletic Department, but justifiably their focus right now is on Football, but why not give some sovereignty to a revenue sport that can support itself.

I think the story was that RG was going to "Fix" football then turn his focus on Basketball.

I get that theory, given Football's Revenue, but when do you consider football "Fixed"?
  • A winning record
  • Major Bowl game
  • Conference championship
  • National Championship
  • Return National Championship
My point is that "fixing football then helping basketball" is unobtainable. No matter what, no one would be satisfied.

Mike Bohn had plenty of items he could have improved upon, but the pendulum swing to RG is rather disappointing as a basketball fan.

Would be nice if RG appointed a Basketball focused (Ill even settle with a court sport focused) director with autonomy and a healthy budget and ownership of added revenue. Then let them go do what is needed to grow the program. I get the argument that this should be something they should be able to do with their current massive Athletic Department, but justifiably their focus right now is on Football, but why not give some sovereignty to a revenue sport that can support itself.
The thing is that basketball doesn't take much. Student engagement and spirit squads is most of what's been neglected. I'm not asking to prioritize court facilities at this time. Maybe ramping up fan & sponsor engagement again, but again that's not cost (could be cash positive) it's a matter of effort.

Last edited:
The thing is that basketball doesn't take much. Student engagement and spirit squads is most of what's been neglected. I'm not asking to prioritize court facilities at this time. Maybe ramping up fan & sponsor engagement again, but again that's not cost (could be cash positive) it's a matter of effort.
One area that RG has drastically underperformed MB.

Last edited by a moderator:

I’m not optimistic.
I was thinking about Socal recruiting too, Dinwiddie, Askia, Battey, KJ, RJ, Jabari XJ all from SoCal area and many cited being able to have the LA roadtrip each year as a selling point. If the PAC got SDSU as a replacement that might help some but still.

Also wondering if this puts Tad over the edge too. The annual USC sweep I think keeps Tad's juices flowing because he hates Enfield with a raging passion.

We really need a strong 2 years before UCLA and USC leave. If we can get a Sweet 16 before then we set ourselves up better to get plucked or stay atop the new conference.

I was thinking about Socal recruiting too, Dinwiddie, Askia, Battey, KJ, RJ, Jabari XJ all from SoCal area and many cited being able to have the LA roadtrip each year as a selling point. If the PAC got SDSU as a replacement that might help some but still.

Also wondering if this puts Tad over the edge too. The annual USC sweep I think keeps Tad's juices flowing because he hates Enfield with a raging passion.

We really need a strong 2 years before UCLA and USC leave. If we can get a Sweet 16 before then we set ourselves up better to get plucked or stay atop the new conference.
UCLA and U$C leaving the P12 royally fux the Buffs Hoops teams. Unlike football, the bball teams recruit LA.

Agreed, and that is why I feel that putting someone in charge of it would highly benefit the program. Doesnt take physical money, just sweat to engage, promote and support the program. Similar to Sweat Equity for your house.

Give the person a P&L and judge them on that, as long as their total profit is higher than their salary, it is a overall win. If not, well your fired.

Attendance at both men's and women's basketball games would improve if anyone in the Athletic Department cared about either program.

For the women, they could do some of the same things that were done in the 1990's and it got butts in the seats. Once you get them there, show them a good product and fun and they become paying customers. CU does nothing to promote women's basketball except to people who are already involved in the program. That doesn't get any more tickets sold long term.

I wonder more about what NIL and the transfer portal will do. They haven’t seemed to have a huge impact up to now.

Attendance at both men's and women's basketball games would improve if anyone in the Athletic Department cared about either program.

For the women, they could do some of the same things that were done in the 1990's and it got butts in the seats. Once you get them there, show them a good product and fun and they become paying customers. CU does nothing to promote women's basketball except to people who are already involved in the program. That doesn't get any more tickets sold long term.
What year was it that the women's team made a bit of a run in NCAA tourney? I was a kid, but I remember seeing it. I know it was in the 90's.

Does anyone have a preference on where we end up for basketball? What is the best case scenario for both MBB and WBB? I have no clue what is the best for these two programs. I know I have preferences (Big12 with Kansas, Baylor, Arizona, Houston would be awesome). But I can’t figure which conference would actually help CU hoops the most.

I think we end up with a P2 + FCS equivalent conferences for football and distinct regional based conferences for all other sports.

just looking at the 2025 B1G, it makes no sense for Rutgers/Maryland to travel to LA to play USC/UCLA in any sport. those games won't draw a crowd or TV ratings and will only cost the schools' money.

for CU, I'd be really good with a "Front Range hoops conference" or a "Great Plaines hoops conference" or even joining the MWC for non-football sports.

Back