What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Recruiting so far...

What grade would you give Tucker and his staff for their recruiting efforts so far?

• A

Votes: 23 9.7%
  • A-

Votes: 39 16.5%
  • B+

Votes: 72 30.5%
  • B

Votes: 60 25.4%
  • B-

Votes: 19 8.1%
  • C+

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • C

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • C-

Votes: 6 2.5%
  • D

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • F

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters
o play in 4 games-- if they see limited time and feel they can start, but perhaps not right away or the next year on their particular team, why not transfer, sit out the season (limited wear and tear on body, another year of great nutrition) on the scout team and look to play that 3rd year with 3 more to play.
6 years? Hmmmm. Don't see how that is legal. What am I missing?

6 years? Hmmmm. Don't see how that is legal. What am I missing?

I think it has to do with waivers. I thought the same thing, they give you 5 to play 4. However, if you red-shirt, transfer and then sit again, I think you can get 6 to play 4, since you can play as Grad Student. Correct me if I am wrong. I have seen all sorts of things with the injury RS waivers and hardship waivers etc... I think the NCAA does a bunch of crap on a case by case basis.

I think it has to do with waivers. I thought the same thing, they give you 5 to play 4. However, if you red-shirt, transfer and then sit again, I think you can get 6 to play 4, since you can play as Grad Student. Correct me if I am wrong. I have seen all sorts of things with the injury RS waivers and hardship waivers etc... I think the NCAA does a bunch of crap on a case by case basis.
No 6 year deals for sitting, transferring etc. 5 to play 4. The only exception I am aware of, is that if a player loses 2 seasons due to injury he can (at the conclusion of year 5) apply for a 6th year (known as a Medical Redshirt).

No 6 year deals for sitting, transferring etc. 5 to play 4. The only exception I am aware of, is that if a player loses 2 seasons due to injury he can (at the conclusion of year 5) apply for a 6th year (known as a Medical Redshirt).

Thanks for clarifying that. I just remember a fair amount of guys petitioning for a 6th year and getting it.

Recruiting will be HUGE for CU. Ideally, until established (3 winning seasons in a row), CU has to be 30-40 nationally and in the top 1/2 of the Pac-12 almost each season. I gave this year a B, but initially thought B- or C+. It will all be up to how the Buffs close. Outside finding a gem at QB + experience in the secondary + 2-3 good-great linebackers, I'm unfortunately circling year 3 under MT for the team turnaround, rather than next year. However, with what ASU has done, who really knows??

With CTE, stronger JUCO classes, and the transfer portal, it is a whole different recruiting game than in years past. Teams almost need a dedicated GM. Young players (especially skill positions) desire to play right away. JUCO is just deeper than ever. Then balancing the transfer portal with your schollie distribution and 25 max players is a true art. Where I think the CTE comes in is for Frosh that get to play in 4 games-- if they see limited time and feel they can start, but perhaps not right away or the next year on their particular team, why not transfer, sit out the season (limited wear and tear on body, another year of great nutrition) on the scout team and look to play that 3rd year with 3 more to play.

Given the exposure of CU's Defense this season, the Buffs need players with differing skill sets. Some recruits, some JUCO and a few transfers may help. Also, given the sit 1 year portal change, I am really shocked at the sheer number of mid-season transfer portal additions already. I don't know if it is a trend or what, but Grad transfers at many positions became starters on many teams. For other players it seems they lock onto transfer=starter and go to where they can play right away after sitting a year.
While I’m certain we would be unique, I’m not sure we should use CTE in our recruiting pitch.

After Alfano the staff gets a serious bump in grade, I'm saying at least A-. If we can land a few of the 4-star guys visiting this weekend I think there's a solid argument for an A+ for MT's first full cycle

Also do transfers count towards our rankings on 24/7? Doesn't seem like we got a bump after Alfano but maybe it hasn't updated yet

After Alfano the staff gets a serious bump in grade, I'm saying at least A-. If we can land a few of the 4-star guys visiting this weekend I think there's a solid argument for an A+ for MT's first full cycle

Also do transfers count towards our rankings on 24/7? Doesn't seem like we got a bump after Alfano but maybe it hasn't updated yet
No. One of the posters over at 24/7 did plug it into the class calculator though if he had signed here originally:
Immediately thought how much of a difference Alfano would make in the 2019 class rankings had he committed last year. Plugging him into the class calculator, he adds 29.65 points and would've placed the class at #23 nationally (one spot behind Stanford) and #4 in the Pac.
Ultimately, the class finished at 44 overall and 9th in the conference so, as you would expect, Alfano makes a huge difference.

Last edited:
I’m more concerned about the play on the field than a recruiting class number raise for last year. I am ready for next season already.

Agreed. We’ve all been calling for better talent and that SEEMS to be trending in the right direction. But talent doesn’t fix bad coaching and what we’ve seen this year is a bit concerning. Let’s hope we see improvement across the board next year.

Talent tends to cover up coaching deficiencies though.

Yeah, to a point it definitely does. I was talking more about our coaches, mainly defensive, putting players in a position to fail rather than succeed. Players out of position and the confusion we’ve seen on the field at times. I know our talent and depth on defense isn’t great, but there’s no way it’s this bad.

Yeah, to a point it definitely does. I was talking more about our coaches, mainly defensive, putting players in a position to fail rather than succeed. Players out of position and the confusion we’ve seen on the field at times. I know our talent and depth on defense isn’t great, but there’s no way it’s this bad.

That’s interesting because I and many others have had more issues with the offensive play calling and 4th Q game management. The most egregious for me was the 4th Q against USC where we saw tez throwing deep bombs to no one while we were supposed to be protecting a lead. Then there was the end of the zona game where we took another deep shot on a crucial 3rd down. All of the punting inside the opponent’s territory is on Mel so I can’t say that’s poor offensive play calling by JJ. Also, I’m sure some of the bad decisions are on Montez but it’s up to the coaching staff to reduce his opportunity to make bad decisions.

Most of the defensive deficiencies have seemed like a talent issue to me.

That’s interesting because I and many others have had more issues with the offensive play calling and 4th Q game management. The most egregious for me was the 4th Q against USC where we saw tez throwing deep bombs to no one while we were supposed to be protecting a lead. Then there was the end of the zona game where we took another deep shot on a crucial 3rd down. All of the punting inside the opponent’s territory is on Mel so I can’t say that’s poor offensive play calling by JJ. Also, I’m sure some of the bad decisions are on Montez but it’s up to the coaching staff to reduce his opportunity to make bad decisions.

Most of the defensive deficiencies have seemed like a talent issue to me.

The ends of games makes me want to lose my mind, it’s been so bad. I can’t agree with your whole post more.

There is zero question Mel has improved our recruiting, how much he's improved it remains to be seen. I don't think Mac was a terrible recruiter but his specialty was finding diamonds in the rough. Awuzie, big Phil Lindsay, Kenneth olugbode, Witherspoon, tedric Thompson, viska, landman were all two or three stars. Finding diamonds in the rough is important but it doesn't win you championships. I think our d problems regarding talent lies in the depth. It's my opinion this coaching staff has basically said, this is the defense we run if our players can't figure it out that's on them. We will help them the best we can. Idk if that's true, that's what it seems to me. Idk if that's the best strategy in cfb either but I'm not the cu football coach

Edit: what poster said above. Offense play calling has been the worse of the two. On d it's pretty easy to tell sometimes the players are lost

Until I see a QB that can go through multiple reads, I'm not going to 100% say the deep bombs when they are unnecessary is all on JJ. Sure he probably could have called a play that didn't have a 9 route in it, but I specifically remember a wide open Dimitri Stanley in the USC game that Montez flat out missed. I highly doubt JJ wanted Montez going deep on all the throws you can think of late in games when they were poor plays. Montez gets flustered and goes to the deep ball, we've seen it before.

Last edited:
Recent commits plus Gonzales pushes rating to B. Berry to B+, Harris to A-.
It’s relative. It might not be a top 10 class, but if HCMT lands Gonzalez, Berry and Harris (I think he will) this class gets at least an A. It could be looked at as an A+ easily for us, but maybe not on a national level. If Tucker can pull off Gentry it’s an easy A+!!!

So basically if Tucker lands the best class we have had in 20 years he gets an A- Tough crowd.

What's wrong with that? It actually would be the 4th best class since 2000.

236.65 - 2008
218.56 - 2002
208.15 - 2007

We would end up with a 206.36, a few points ahead of 2012's class. Good for 26th and 4th in the PAC, a class worthy of lots of praise for sure. Definitely worthy of an A, but an A- would be an insult? Let's not grade on a curve here, a top 25 class is an A. Everything else beyond that can't be an A because, "circumstances, reasons and our record."

If you add Alfano into the mix combined with the other players mentioned the class rises higher. I think you have to count him too. Combine that with some of question marks that made up those classes in 07 08 and I think you can fairly call this the best class in the past 20 years.

If you add Alfano into the mix combined with the other players mentioned the class rises higher. I think you have to count him too. Combine that with some of question marks that made up those classes in 07 08 and I think you can fairly call this the best class in the past 20 years.
The rating sites won't officially add Alfano to the mix for the 2020 class, but I read a credible analysis that said if he was so added, Buffs would be in the top 25 nationally.

The rating sites won't officially add Alfano to the mix for the 2020 class, but I read a credible analysis that said if he was so added, Buffs would be in the top 25 nationally.
Right and that is without the aforementioned Gonzalez, Harris and Berry. We land those three this is the best class in 20 years. It is a big time, tipping point, momentum shifting class and a sign of what Tucker can do. He deserves the credit. This is history in the making. Get out the bubbly, pop some corks and remember how to smile because this show is about to go from good to awesome!

I already love this class with guys like wray Lewis Lee guy Thomas lichenstein or whatever Julius coats and fauria. Now Rice is the cherry to the receiving core, the best rb duo we've had in a long time. We need jayland Parker at lb. Tucker has an A- now but will get an A real easy if he bags a couple recruits. I'm sure they want 25+ guys so there could be more in the way

Back