What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Recruiting so far...

What grade would you give Tucker and his staff for their recruiting efforts so far?

• A

Votes: 23 9.7%
  • A-

Votes: 39 16.5%
  • B+

Votes: 72 30.5%
  • B

Votes: 60 25.4%
  • B-

Votes: 19 8.1%
  • C+

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • C

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • C-

Votes: 6 2.5%
  • D

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • F

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters
Who is this mysterious graduating QB who is good enough to start at CU yet humble enough to enter an open QB competition for the job? I don't think he exists.
Who is the mysterious player on our roster or in our recruiting class who would scare off a blue chip who loses the spring QB competition at one of the elite programs?

Who is the mysterious player on our roster or in our recruiting class who would scare off a blue chip who loses the spring QB competition at one of the elite programs?

Admittedly, I'm not up on the travails of grad transfer QBs in the last few seasons. Can someone give me an example of one who entered a real QB competition at his new school? Any of them stick around as QB #2?

Admittedly, I'm not up on the travails of grad transfer QBs in the last few seasons. Can someone give me an example of one who entered a real QB competition at his new school? Any of them stick around as QB #2?
Tate Martell left tOSU for Miami, lost the competition, and stayed as a backup while playing some WR.

I'm sure there are others, but that's the first one that came to mind.

If CU does do this, I think that the way to go is with a plus athlete, dual-threat type QB who gives some versatility. I don't like the record of grad transfer pocket passer statues.

Ever hear of Gardner Minshew?
Tate Martell left tOSU for Miami, lost the competition, and stayed as a backup while playing some WR.

I'm sure there are others, but that's the first one that came to mind.

If CU does do this, I think that the way to go is with a plus athlete, dual-threat type QB who gives some versatility. I don't like the record of grad transfer pocket passer statues.
Martell wasn’t a graduate transfer. Just a transfer who applied and got immediate eligibility.

pretty sure Hurts had to beat out Spencer Rattler at Oklahoma this year (#1 QB recruit last year)

I get the concern hauling in a JAG type grad transfer and then putting off developing a real QB for a year, but what if Lewis just isn't that good? We really want to throw all of our eggs in that basket?

pretty sure Hurts had to beat out Spencer Rattler at Oklahoma this year (#1 QB recruit last year)

I get the concern hauling in a JAG type grad transfer and then putting off developing a real QB for a year, but what if Lewis just isn't that good? We really want to throw all of our eggs in that basket?

I don't want throw all the eggs in the GT basket either. I'm honestly kinda stunned at how CU fans still seem to LOVE the quick fixes after the last couple seasons.

Martell wasn’t a graduate transfer. Just a transfer who applied and got immediate eligibility.
Sure, but the point stands. The only competition that these guys would be turned off by would be an incumbent starter (like when Webb learned that Sefo was going to be healthy enough to enter the competition -- he wasn't worried about Montez).

I don't want throw all the eggs in the GT basket either. I'm honestly kinda stunned at how CU fans still seem to LOVE the quick fixes after the last couple seasons.
Probably because we see those quick fixes working elsewhere. Florida on the DL, Oklahoma & LSU at QB, Oregon State and SMU throughout their rosters as non-elite program examples.

No one is saying that HS recruiting isn't the lifeblood and what's going to get us to the promised land. But we will also have some opportunities to address holes or upgrade a mediocre position. I'm kind of stunned that you HATE quick fixes so much. Has it been a bad thing for CU to bring in Hambright, Onu, McMillian and others? Even the guys who didn't work out still upgraded the roster from what we had and forced the young guys to win their jobs. It's a piece of the puzzle that could very well be the difference between being a bowl team vs having a rebuilding year in 2020.

Probably because we see those quick fixes working elsewhere. Florida on the DL, Oklahoma & LSU at QB, Oregon State and SMU throughout their rosters as non-elite program examples.

No one is saying that HS recruiting isn't the lifeblood and what's going to get us to the promised land. But we will also have some opportunities to address holes or upgrade a mediocre position. I'm kind of stunned that you HATE quick fixes so much. Has it been a bad thing for CU to bring in Hambright, Onu, McMillian and others? Even the guys who didn't work out still upgraded the roster from what we had and forced the young guys to win their jobs. It's a piece of the puzzle that could very well be the difference between being a bowl team vs having a rebuilding year in 2020.

Mainly because it often comes at the expense of high school recruiting. Plenty of teams make bowls while rebuilding.

I mean, how are Florida, LSU, or Oklahoma at all relevant to CU trying to make a bowl game in 2020?

Mainly because it often comes at the expense of high school recruiting. Plenty of teams make bowls while rebuilding.
We didn't make bowls with a multi-year starter at QB, maybe the best WR in program history, and veteran NFL prospects at every level of our defense. CU has not been like other teams -- we've been one of the worst. Replacing the 2016 recruits with a good 2020 class is not enough. We also need to fill holes in those 2017, 2018 and 2019 classes that had a lot of issues.

We didn't make bowls with a multi-year starter at QB, maybe the best WR in program history, and veteran NFL prospects at every level of our defense. CU has not been like other teams -- we've been one of the worst. Replacing the 2016 recruits with a good 2020 class is not enough. We also need to fill holes in those 2017, 2018 and 2019 classes that had a lot of issues.

Maybe because you and others (including coaches) continue to overrate experience and status quo rules all. Important for a championship contender? Yep. For a team to get to six wins? Not so much.

Maybe because you and others (including coaches) continue to overrate experience and status quo rules all. Important for a championship contender? Yep. For a team to get to six wins? Not so much.
I think we lack talent in our 2-deep at certain positions.

I believe the worst scholarship player at Georgia is more talented than at least half of the CU roster. If that guy was playing for UGA, lost the competition and then got recruited over -- I believe he upgrades our depth chart at every position and starts at some positions at CU.

I think we lack talent in our 2-deep at certain positions.

I believe the worst scholarship player at Georgia is more talented than at least half of the CU roster. If that guy was playing for UGA, lost the competition and then got recruited over -- I believe he upgrades our depth chart at every position and starts at some positions at CU.

So why worry that much about high school recruiting anytime soon? Sounds like we need a ****load of transfers, like now.

I consider a major issue in this program over the past three years is the inflexibility on playing young talent.

So why worry that much about high school recruiting anytime soon? Sounds like we need a ****load of transfers, like now.
I wouldn't have been opposed to doing what Dykes did at SMU with 30+ transfers over a couple years to transform the roster.

Of course, that has to be coupled with 50 recruits in that same time to transform pretty much the entire 85-man roster.

Why do you insist that it's one or the other and that we can't do a great job of HS recruiting while also bringing in a good number of transfers?

I wouldn't have been opposed to doing what Dykes did at SMU with 30+ transfers over a couple years to transform the roster.

Of course, that has to be coupled with 50 recruits in that same time to transform pretty much the entire 85-man roster.

Why do you insist that it's one or the other and that we can't do a great job of HS recruiting while also bringing in a good number of transfers?

Because the balance in that equation is almost assuredly weighted toward transfers. And it puts a lot of pressure on making sure you hit on most of that high school recruits.

How many schools are actually that heavy on transfers?

I consider a major issue in this program over the past three years is the inflexibility on playing young talent.
Other than Shenault what young talent did we not play early enough that could have won us all these extra games the last three years?

Everyone knows high school is where you build. Sometimes you miss on those high schoolers. When they are juniors/seniors and still haven’t grown as players there’s no harm at all in replacing them with talent from other teams that are transferring for a way to see the field.

Other than Shenault what young talent did we not play early enough that could have won us all these extra games the last three years?

Everyone knows high school is where you build. Sometimes you miss on those high schoolers. When they are juniors/seniors and still haven’t grown as players there’s no harm at all in replacing them with talent from other teams that are transferring for a way to see the field.

The numbers have to add up at some point and you have to choose between "quick fix" and "rebuild" at some point.

I think most people are assuming Lewis will be the starter day 1, which is hopefully not Mel's style, and that will cause transfer. Mel's two mistakes have been punting twice inside our own 40 against ****ing USC and moving noyer to qb. Mel said it himself he wants competition #1 trait for 2020 qb. Personally I hope Mel has a transfer or noyer gets some packages it's not like in 7 months he completely lost how to be a qb. I also think stenstrom can be a good qb who could beat Lewis anyway and if he transfers so be it Mel has the next one lined up

The numbers have to add up at some point and you have to choose between "quick fix" and "rebuild" at some point.
You keep saying numbers have to add up. You recruit the max you’re allowed to every year. You give those guys two to three years to grow and if they aren’t you tell them to go elsewhere and fill those spots with transfers, preferably grads with 1 year to play.

In the specific context of QB position, how is getting a grad transfer QB comes at the expense of our high school recruiting?

You keep saying numbers have to add up. You recruit the max you’re allowed to every year. You give those guys two to three years to grow and if they aren’t you tell them to go elsewhere and fill those spots with transfers, preferably grads with 1 year to play.

Or, stay with a me a minute, you recruit over them with good to great players from high school in future classes.

I’d disagree. Noyer never had it as a qb. Seems like his only other offer was like Eastern Washington. He’s still got Lytle and Stenstrom. That’s why many in this group are for a grad transfer to add to the competition. Just bc a lot of us in this board think Lewis will be the guy doesn’t mean that Mel is going to just hand him every single rep and the other guys will just watch.
I think most people are assuming Lewis will be the starter day 1, which is hopefully not Mel's style, and that will cause transfer. Mel's two mistakes have been punting twice inside our own 40 against ****ing USC and moving noyer to qb. Mel said it himself he wants competition #1 trait for 2020 qb. Personally I hope Mel has a transfer or noyer gets some packages it's not like in 7 months he completely lost how to be a qb. I also think stenstrom can be a good qb who could beat Lewis and if he transfers so be it Mel has the next one lined up

Or, stay with a me a minute, you recruit over them with good to great players from high school in future classes.
Haha. I’d love that. We’ve got to show the ability to do that. This whole thing started to fix the classes from 16-18 before Tucker. Obv you hope we can get to that point but you have to fill those gaps from the previous staffs incompetence

Back