What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Revised Poll: Who Should Be the Next Coach at CU*

Who is the best available and realistic candidate for the head coaching job at CU

• Alex Grinch

• Darrin Chiaverini

• Ryan Walters

• Eric Beniemy

• Jim Levitt

• Steve Sarkisian

• Bryan Harsin

• Jim McElwain

• Andy Avalos

• Bill Napier

Results are only viewable after voting.
People are way overvaluing “loyalty.” What happened with Tucker was very unusual. The market for Tucker was set when CU hired him. There’s no way his value doubled after a losing season and middling recruiting. Dantonio ****ed MSU and they made desperate decisions. That’s unlikely to happen again soon. If someone wants to poach CU’s next coach, it will only be after some winning seasons.

Right. No one poached Mike Mac after 2016 and “Coach of the Year” honors. It takes a special breed of asshats to create the present situation.

Right. No one poached Mike Mac after 2016 and “Coach of the Year” honors. It takes a special breed of asshats to create the present situation.
Mac negotiated a raise and extension after 2016, I'd be shocked if he didn't leverage the fact that other suitors were calling at the time.

I have a feeling CU is finding out quickly that their coaches salary pool it not anywhere close to being large enough to get who they want.

Mac negotiated a raise and extension after 2016, I'd be shocked if he didn't leverage the fact that other suitors were calling at the time.

This was the point I was trying, poorly, to make. MM, at least, remained committed and was rewarded for it. Problem for CU was he had pretty much max’d out what he was going to do here with 2016 team populated by seniors who had played for years due to the complete lack of talent when they arrived.

I may not have been inspired by MM in the last years, at least he didn’t pull a MT ****er move. But, then few coaches have ever pulled anything as glaringly dishonest and self-serving as this.

Lucky us.... again.

This was the point I was trying, poorly, to make. MM, at least, remained committed and was rewarded for it. Problem for CU was he had pretty much max’d out what he was going to do here with 2016 team populated by seniors who had played for years due to the complete lack of talent when they arrived.

I may not have been inspired by MM in the last years, at least he didn’t pull a MT ****er move. But, then few coaches have ever pulled anything as glaringly dishonest and self-serving as this.

Lucky us.... again.
He tried to move, but failed.

Steve Sarkisian REALLY? DID U ALL NOT JUST LEARN A LESSON? He will be poached after one season here. DO NOT HIRE FROM THE OVER RATED SEC!!!!!!!!
One year before leaving is an aberration. Extremely unlikely to happen again.

Now, 2 years I can see. And I'll happily live with another coaching search after the 2021 season if it means we got a coach who recruited great and got us to bowl games while he was here.

If that happened, we'd take that buyout money and hire the next coach with all the additional leverage of being a winning program with stocked talent. All good.

In the headlines for all the wrong reasons agaim. The only times we seem to hit the headlines, when things go wrong.

This program is rebuilding at a tenuous point. MT has potentially knocked the legs out of this program, depending on what happens with the assistant coaches, players, and recruits. The timing is incredibly harmful, too, finding a new, long-term coach in this way.

He took the payday knowing full well he may cripple a fledgling program, and rebuild, that he’d signed up to care for and improve.

But we only were going to pay him $14 million. Shame on us.

I have a feeling CU is finding out quickly that their coaches salary pool it not anywhere close to being large enough to get who they want.

We're not sure who the Top 3 are on CU's want list, but there's no reason to believe that the AD is going to have appreciably more money to spend than what they were paying Tucker, et al. Maybe Tucker's CU money + 10-15%, and that's a maybe. Still the same Regents. This, among other things, is why EB is unlikely IMO.

In the headlines for all the wrong reasons agaim. The only times we seem to hit the headlines, when things go wrong.

This program is rebuilding at a tenuous point. MT has potentially knocked the legs out of this program, depending on what happens with the assistant coaches, players, and recruits. The timing is incredibly harmful, too, finding a new, long-term coach in this way.

He took the payday knowing full well he may cripple a fledgling program, and rebuild, that he’d signed up to care for and improve.

But we only were going to pay him $14 million. Shame on us.
Would you like the number for a good counselor? It seems you have symptoms of PTSD that could use some attention.

We're not sure who the Top 3 are on CU's want list, but there's no reason to believe that the AD is going to have appreciably more money to spend than what they were paying Tucker, et al. Maybe Tucker's CU money + 10-15%, and that's a maybe. Still the same Regents. This, among other things, is why EB is unlikely IMO.

I don't think they get EB.

People are way overvaluing “loyalty.” What happened with Tucker was very unusual. The market for Tucker was set when CU hired him. There’s no way his value doubled after a losing season and middling recruiting. Dantonio ****ed MSU and they made desperate decisions. That’s unlikely to happen again soon. If someone wants to poach CU’s next coach, it will only be after some winning seasons.

Define the word loyalty-Are you talking about hiring Chev or EB because they're alums or Mora because he's gushed about CU and expressed interest in the job twice in the last fourteen months? Or are you talking about a guy being willing to accept a significantly higher buyout than what Melvin had if he chooses to leave of his own accord? From my POV-I don't care about the former. The latter is non-negotiable if I'm RG.

What other suitors did he have? He didn't exactly blow the doors off here either. The only person who looks bad here is Melvin-he takes a job, decides to quit because he has an opportunity pop that he thinks is easier than the one he has, and lies his ass off on the way out the door. @GawainBuff is making a mountain out of a molehill.

Define the word loyalty-Are you talking about hiring Chev or EB because they're alums or Mora because he's gushed about CU and expressed interest in the job twice in the last fourteen months? Or are you talking about a guy being willing to accept a significantly higher buyout than what Melvin had if he chooses to leave of his own accord? From my POV-I don't care about the former. The latter is non-negotiable if I'm RG.
Meh. $7 million couldn't keep Sparkles in Foco.

Meh. $7 million couldn't keep Sparkles in Foco.

He'd be a no-go for me here at this point, and I suspect RG thinks the same way-I'm not interested in any branch off the Nick Saban/Kirby Smart tree after Melvin's midnight ride and the Sarkisian stuff. I'd be pretty hesitant to do business with any Jimmy Sexton client if I'm RG at this point (he's the agent for Mel, Sparkles, and I think Sarkisian as well) too.

Back