What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Ryan Walters - DC Illinois

Bielema is a defensive coach. Walters' 2020 Mizzou defense gave up a bunch of points. Not sure Drinkwitz wouldn't have fired him. The 2019 defense was pretty good. But I'm not sure everyone would agree with the narrative that "he's been great at two P5 schools."

Walters isn’t ready for this **** show. Stop trying to talk yourself into it.
And I'm not sure Riley is either. But I think the name carries weight. And he'll be able to recruit off of that name. But unless TCU drops a game, Riley won't be a candidate for CU. I was hoping TCU would lose today.

Bielema is a defensive coach. Walters' 2020 Mizzou defense gave up a bunch of points. Not sure Drinkwitz wouldn't have fired him. The 2019 defense was pretty good. But I'm not sure everyone would agree with the narrative that "he's been great at two P5 schools."
He’s had DC success under Odom and Bielema, both strong defensive HCs. Might mean he’s been well taught. We know he’s bright. But there’s definitely risk on that point.

I would advocate an interview and better understand him and project his ability to be CEO and recruit.
His young age could be a big plus.

many want a conservative hire that gets us back to respectable. I could be talked into “**** it, we’ve sucked for so long let’s go high stakes“ with a good contract out.

I struggle with the idea that Walters is ready to build a broken program. He’s a hell of a defensive coach apparently, but I think it’s easy to fall into the trap of looking at which OC’s have the best offense and which DC’s have the best defense and assuming that makes them good candidates to be a HC and it’s not always the case.

If it were me, I’d go for a more proven coach with this hire with full knowledge that we could look back in 5 years kicking ourselves for not hiring him now.

I think Ryan Walters is a great coach and I think his season gets more impressive every week. Illinois has played almost nobody with a pulse, but under 10 PPG is under 10 PPG. He will get a HC job very soon. I think he will do well.

I don't think he is a good fit for this job. Learning how to be head coach at CU in this state seems like a recipe for disaster

I struggle with the idea that Walters is ready to build a broken program. He’s a hell of a defensive coach apparently, but I think it’s easy to fall into the trap of looking at which OC’s have the best offense and which DC’s have the best defense and assuming that makes them good candidates to be a HC and it’s not always the case.

If it were me, I’d go for a more proven coach with this hire with full knowledge that we could look back in 5 years kicking ourselves for not hiring him now.
To the bold, we don't know that I'm afraid. We know for sure that Coach Odom and Bielema (Mizzou HC and Illini HC) were both legendary DCs. But what we haven't seen is Walters have a great defense that wasn't under Odom or Bielema. That's the bigger risk.

I'd be a lot more comfortable with projecting Walters as a HC if I knew he was a Defensive mastermind, but we really don't know that.

To the bold, we don't know that I'm afraid. We know for sure that Coach Odom and Bielema (Mizzou HC and Illini HC) were both legendary DCs. But what we haven't seen is Walters have a great defense that wasn't under Odom or Bielema. That's the bigger risk.

I'd be a lot more comfortable with projecting Walters as a HC if I knew he was a Defensive mastermind, but we really don't know that.
See and I’m saying I’m not sure it makes a difference. We’re not hiring him to be the DC here so the question is whether he can be an effective HC and being a DC for a really good defense is great but doesn’t answer the HC question.

Somebody explain to me how this move says something other than Buffs4Life meddling.

I have zero interest whatsoever in Walters.

Somebody explain to me how this move says something other than Buffs4Life meddling.

I have zero interest whatsoever in Walters.
He's a very bright defensive mind who has coached in the two biggest conferences in the sport under some really good defensive coaches, and took a defense ranked 97th in the country in scoring the year before he got there to 31st last year, to 1st this year. He's a rising star in the sport and very highly thought of, he just happens to have played for CU.

It's incredible that you are all aboard the Garrett Riley train, but hate Dillingham and Walters.

He's a very bright defensive mind who has coached in the two biggest conferences in the sport under some really good defensive coaches, and took a defense ranked 97th in the country in scoring the year before he got there to 31st last year, to 1st this year. He's a rising star in the sport and very highly thought of, he just happens to have played for CU.

It's incredible that you are all aboard the Garrett Riley train, but hate Dillingham and Walters.

Not my first choice, but Walters is definitely making a name for himself nationally.

If Dillingham is that good a play caller, how did Florida State's offense go from 73rd in total offense in 2021 to 34th this year? FSU's offense is averaging almost 100 yards more a game and nearly a touchdown more per game without him. Why am I the only one even talking about that?

Walters has coached under some really good defensive coaches as you said. You think he's ready to run his own show? I don't. You don't see the defensive equivalent of what Grimes has done in Baylor under a guy whose expertise is on the opposite side of the ball with him. That in itself makes JG significantly more attractive to me as a candidate than your boy Dillingham, Walters, or even Riley. Walters played here. Him coming back would have Buffs4Life's fingerprints all over it too. Tell me why I'm wrong.

If Dillingham is that good a play caller, how did Florida State's offense go from 73rd in total offense in 2021 to 34th this year? FSU's offense is averaging almost 100 yards more a game and nearly a touchdown more per game without him. Why am I the only one even talking about that?

Walters has coached under some really good defensive coaches as you said. You think he's ready to run his own show? I don't. You don't see the defensive equivalent of what Grimes has done in Baylor under a guy whose expertise is on the opposite side of the ball with him. That in itself makes JG significantly more attractive to me as a candidate than your boy Dillingham, Walters, or even Riley. Walters played here. Him coming back would have Buffs4Life's fingerprints all over it too. Tell me why I'm wrong.
You're so ****ing bad at this. I'm exhausted.

He's the best defensive coordinator in college football right now. Connections or not, that shouldn't be something you overlook, IMO
He's done it under two defensive coaches. Its not like we're talking about a defensive version of Jeff Grimes-who likely has something close to autonomy in Waco given Aranda's defensive background.

Implying he is only being considered due to the Buffs4Life crowd is a really lazy take.

Saying Grimes is a more attractive candidate than Walters is not the same as saying Walters would be a bad candidate. You seem to be using the former to argue the latter.

And you're still too big a chicken **** to explain the FSU offense with him and without him.

Some things never change, bitch.
Norvell is the offensive guru at FSU, right? Maybe Dillingham doesn't shoulder all the blame there, even though he did improve FSU's offense while he was OC there. Dillingham is now running his own show at Oregon and has a top 5 offense in the country, so I'm unsure why you are stuck on his time at FSU.

I have also been very clear that Grimes is my #1 candidate at this point, so you're kind of just screaming at clouds.

Saying Grimes is a more attractive candidate than Walters is not the same as saying Walters would be a bad candidate. You seem to be using the former to argue the latter.
Working under two defensive guys makes Grimes preferable to RW. His being an alum makes him a near no for me. Might be Embree and Dorrell related drama.

There are really good football coaches who are a) not alums and/or b) not here during the glory years.

Back