What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sacramento State Lookalike & Game thread - MBB (Boulder, Saturday, 11/30, 7:00 PM MT, Pac 12 Networks)

A second guard has to step up for us to really threaten to win the conference. Gatling, Kountz, Parquet, any one of them, or more likely, a combination of them and playing the hot hand. But we are really really good defensively.

The problem for Bey is that he can not pass, or at least very TO prone. Battey is only one who can connect the team inside. When he and Kin are not on the court, we just don't know how to play.

You can see how Sac St beat Pepperdine (who nearly USC and AZ). They’ve got some low post moves and ability to get to the rim. So a good defensive win for CU. Crazy turnovers tho. Like has been said many times this year (and ever since Ski left), we really need a #2 guard to emerge as a legit scoring threat.

The problem for Bey is that he can not pass, or at least very TO prone. Battey is only one who can connect the team inside. When he and Kin are not on the court, we just don't know how to play.
Strange observation after a game where Bey had 4 assists and Battey 0. Both of them are good interior passers and feed well off each other. I do agree Battey really changes the game when he’s on the court.

Strange observation after a game where Bey had 4 assists and Battey 0. Both of them are good interior passers and feed well off each other. I do agree Battey really changes the game when he’s on the court.
Bey tend to make passing mistake Battey would not make, and he sometimes forces a bad pass. Seems to me like his assists mostly come from playing inside out with clear shooting position. That's great if you usually get double teamed, but I'm just worries when the opponent doesn't suck.

Sac State was not an easy out. They should get credit; they're going to beat a few teams that they 'shouldn't'. If not for Bey's other-worldly rebounding, this game would have probably been tied up late in the 4th. And then Battey came back in, made some defensive plays, and the lead jumped from 5 points to 11 in about 40 seconds.

Kountz is just not good. Very disappointing.
He's just slumping. He is a much better player than we've seen so far.

Tad was saying after the game that he doesn't have a true backup PG. The idea last night with Parquet starting at the 2 was that when it was time to give Kin a rest that the hope was that having both Gatlng and Kountz come in was that having two guys who could both handle that some was that the combination would be enough to keep the offense flowing.

He also mentioned Parquet being right there with Kin and Schwartz as their best perimeter defender, so I guess the hope was also that Parquet's defense would help set the tone and raise the energy to start the game.

Mixed results would be my verdict on that after a 1 game trial.

I continue to have concerns about the 2 and our best rotation. Daniels still looks lost. Gatling and Kountz still seem to force their own offense too much when they're in there and are not the top options to get the ball & shots. Parquet is simply not a spot up shooter, which that role calls for within that main group of 5.

Kountz, if he can find his lane, could be the guy we need. But can he pick his spots within the offense to knock down 3 pointers at a 35%+ clip while also making some things happen 1-on-1 when things bog down? I don't know if he's ready to consistently be that guy. I also don't know that Gatling's game and personalty lends itself to him being a complementary player within the flow of things -- he struggled being that guy and being effective when not dominating the ball last year.

This is the main hole I see on this team. We absolutely must find someone who can run the team when Kin is out to avoid a negative +/- during those segments. We absolutely must find consistent shooting without a turnover problem and without forced shots from whomever plays the majority of the minutes at the 2 alongside Kin.

Get that handled and our biggest worry becomes getting Dallas into form so that the team can better weather foul trouble from Battey and also match up with teams that are able to throw a ton of size at us (Battey's going to struggle at the 5 against an active 7 footer, I expect).

But the core of this team is special right now.

Bey, Kin, Schwartz and Battey is a special group. Siewert is a great 6th man who is playing like a senior. Figure out that rotation at the 2/backup 1 and this team could both win the Pac-12 and go deep in the Dance.

Bey's passing and court awareness have taken huge steps forward this year. With him and Siewert along with Battey and Dallas, I feel like we're going to be better than the opposition in the vast majority of games with the passing we get from the 4 & 5.

Bey's passing and court awareness have taken huge steps forward this year. With him and Siewert along with Battey and Dallas, I feel like we're going to be better than the opposition in the vast majority of games with the passing we get from the 4 & 5.
Yeah I really don’t understand someone saying that Bey is a bad passer, especially after last night when he had at least two (that I remember) really nice inside assists for layups. Interior passing is difficult due to traffic, so of course some of those will end in turnovers. But even the announcers last night said he had eyes on the back of his head after one of them. Bey does have good vision and passing ability. I think Battey might be better overall at it, but would not say it’s an issue for Bey.

Interior passing is always difficult due to traffic, when do you decide to pass or not is what separate a good team connector from a mediocre one. It's the decision making part that I think he is lacking. He did havce one or two really nice pass to Battey yesterday, at the cost of a couple more TO at other time.

What I see about this team is you either have Kin or Battey on the court. If neither of them is present, they don't have a clue on how to play offense. You can't say they don't know where to run or cut or pick&roll, so what's lacking is the connector with court vision.

And again I could be wrong, I just don't see the "it" factor in Kountz. He reminds me of Collier, a player we have always hoping for reaching "his potential" in our mind, but never did.

At this point I like the idea of having Parquet start at 2, and see how much can he grow. At least he has awesome defense. In the long term, if Daniels can figure out things, he would be the best candidate. He doesn't force things and is a good shooter, just feel like he is still trying to adapt to the speed of the game.

Bench was 4-18 last night. Daniels didn’t even take a shot. Our depth should be a strength but it wasn’t last night.

Bench was 4-18 last night. Daniels didn’t even take a shot. Our depth should be a strength but it wasn’t last night.
With the exception of Siewert, who balled out. Was great to see him not be a liability on D. Played tough post D, didn't give ground, and got another big block.

Back