What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

SI: CU Assistant Coach's Victim Seeks Justice

This is about an accusation of DV against JT and should have NOTHING to do with the football team. The lawyer should have just represented JT and had nothing to do with CU. RG and MM should have separate council. Earlier in this thread, that is what everyone thought was the case.

The problem is that Mr. Banashek was representing CU at the same time he is representing JT. He was representing them all as if they were one interest; the CU athletic department. So the CU athletic department GOT INVOLVED in managing the allegations of DV against one of their coaches. That would then seem to prove the whole point of the SI article; that the athletic department was trying to 'cover up.' That would then imply that the only reason we suspended JT was because the media found out. Otherwise JT and the CU FB team would have gone about business as usual. So the fact that we acted quickly means nothing.

Now I don't know if all the information we have been given is accurate, and I hope it isn't.

There's no way Banashek can represent CU; CU has its own legal team. I think the most damaging stuff in the story were the things he said as it certainly didn't appear he had CU in his best interests (the pins and needles comment at the top of the list). At that point, he's protecting his client and it looks like he wanted to appear to the victim that was representing all.

There's no way Banashek can represent CU; CU has its own legal team. I think the most damaging stuff in the story were the things he said as it certainly didn't appear he had CU in his best interests (the pins and needles comment at the top of the list). At that point, he's protecting his client and it looks like he wanted to appear to the victim that was representing all.

That's what we all thought before the BSN timeline above. But the BSN timeline said it was Mr Banashek that was advising MM and RG.

I would ask BSN to verify that there is no mistake In their reporting of that detail.

That's what we all thought before the BSN timeline above. But the BSN timeline said it was Mr Banashek that was advising MM and RG.

I would ask BSN to verify that there is no mistake In their reporting of that detail.

He's not advising MM and RG. Like any lawyer, he told all parties not to contact his client or the victim. I don't understand what you are not getting? He's not representing MM, RG or CU in any way. He's building a wall around JT, as any lawyer would. And I'm sure CUs attorney would tell him the same thing.

He's not advising MM and RG. Like any lawyer, he told all parties not to contact his client or the victim. I don't understand what you are not getting? He's not representing MM, RG or CU in any way. He's building a wall around JT, as any lawyer would. And I'm sure CUs attorney would tell him the same thing.

Very wrong: He would absoulutely have no right to tell anyone anything about contacting the victim.
Fact is she contacted MM and said she wanted JT to get treatment and to not have the cops involved. They had every right to contact her, in fact she wanted that. Instead, they ignored her and promoted him and now he's facing several mandatory prison felonies. CU f'd this up big time

Very wrong: He would absoulutely have no right to tell anyone anything about contacting the victim.
Fact is she contacted MM and said she wanted JT to get treatment and to not have the cops involved. They had every right to contact her, in fact she wanted that. Instead, they ignored her and promoted him and now he's facing several mandatory prison felonies. CU f'd this up big time
I don't think you know how legal systems work but ok.

What 13 pages of this CU flaeggelation makes me realize that the past 10+ years has well groomed the fan base for pointless suffering.
Cultural_Self_Flagellation.jpg

So someone tells you they are concerned one of your employees might kill himself or someone else and you tell your boss and that's it?? Glad I don't work with you.
If you think that is it you are very dense. Read the article, he also told her he had to contact legal. Aka the people that deal with the law. Maybe CU needs better consultation but Mac is not the whipping boy you're trying to make him to be.

Remind me to not employ you because you will throw everyone under the bus

Now it's crap on Mac time :LOL: local media gonna local media
Which is fine, the part I didn't really understand about rooneys article is who cares if mac allows him to call plays or not, you either think he should either be on staff or be suspended, arguing which responsibilities he has doesn't matter.

It isn't Mac's job to handle legal matters, he's a damn football coach. I think he did what he could. Doesn't look good but he isn't a ****ing lawyer. I doubt that was in his job description.

I think MM did the right thing. I am concerned about what Mr Banashek did and his relationship with the athletic department.

I think MM did the right thing. I am concerned about what Mr Banashek did and his relationship with the athletic department.
He has none. Period. He represents JT. He was trying to settle before she went to the cops. It's what lawyers do.

The BSN timeline claims:

Dec. 9-12, 2016: Attorney Jon Banashek is hired, he informs MacIntyre and George to not talk to Emma or Tumpkin, at least about anything other than football.

If what you are saying is true, then CU and the straight story media (everyone but SI) needs to be very clear with who hired Banashek and what his relation to CU is. The above should read something like:

Dec. 9-12, 2016: Attorney Jon Banashek is hired [BY JOE TUMPKIN], [AS TUMPKIN'S PERSONALLY HIRED ATTORNEY HE INFORMS ALL THIRD PARTIES, INCLUDING,] MacIntyre and George to not talk to Emma or Tumpkin, at least about anything other than football.

then that would clarify everything except how Tumpkin found out about "Emma's" original call to MM so that he could know to seek council.

Last edited:
The BSN timeline claims:

Dec. 9-12, 2016: Attorney Jon Banashek is hired, he informs MacIntyre and George to not talk to Emma or Tumpkin, at least about anything other than football.

If what you are saying is true, then CU and the straight story media (everyone but SI) needs to be very clear with who hired Banashek and what his relation to CU is. The above should read something like:

Dec. 9-12, 2016: Attorney Jon Banashek is hired [BY JOE TUMPKIN], [AS TUMPKIN'S PERSONALLY HIRED ATTORNEY HE INFORMS ALL THIRD PARTIES, INCLUDING,] MacIntyre and George to not talk to Emma or Tumpkin, at least about anything other than football.

then that would clarify everything except how Tumpkin found out about "Emma's" original call to MM so that he could know to seek council.

That's very easy to answer. Mac takes the call. Is confused and contacts JT. Tells him, "Hey your gf just called me, what the hell is going on?" Mac tells him that she left a message saying she's going to the cops. JT hires an attorney. Attorney asks Mac what happened. I've been in attornies offices as they make these calls. It's basic fact gathering to get a defense for JT. All stuff that will be obtained through discovery. Nothing nefarious at all.

That's very easy to answer. Mac takes the call. Is confused and contacts JT. Tells him, "Hey your gf just called me, what the hell is going on?" Mac tells him that she left a message saying she's going to the cops. JT hires an attorney. Attorney asks Mac what happened. I've been in attornies offices as they make these calls. It's basic fact gathering to get a defense for JT. All stuff that will be obtained through discovery. Nothing nefarious at all.
She told MM she didn't want to go to the police.

If you think that is it you are very dense. Read the article, he also told her he had to contact legal. Aka the people that deal with the law. Maybe CU needs better consultation but Mac is not the whipping boy you're trying to make him to be.

Remind me to not employ you because you will throw everyone under the bus
If you don't take all steps available to you to stop or prevent DV, then yes I will throw you under the bus.

From the available stories on this Mac, at best, informed RG and CU legal, at worst he may have informed the victim's abuser that she was talking and didn't inform law enforcement or the compliance department until weeks later.

RG and Mac could clear up a lot of the missing pieces here by making a statement, but until then they are losing the PR battle here badly.

From a legal standpoint, since JT has official charges against him, isn't this the time all parties are told to be quiet so things don't impact the trial?

As far as I can tell, the consensus feeling from other football fan bases is that CU didn't act perfectly, but they did a decent job. While there are takeaways for improvement, this isn't a common problem that everyone knows how to deal with. In the end the authorities were contacted in a reasonable time period. No one acted until definitive evidence was produced. Appropriate punishments were given, and it was all of 7 weeks from report to termination.

I wouldn't say this will blow over, but this should have a relatively short life.

Look...Squirrel!!

From a legal standpoint, since JT has official charges against him, isn't this the time all parties are told to be quiet so things don't impact the trial?

As far as I can tell, the consensus feeling from other football fan bases is that CU didn't act perfectly, but they did a decent job. While there are takeaways for improvement, this isn't a common problem that everyone knows how to deal with. In the end the authorities were contacted in a reasonable time period. No one acted until definitive evidence was produced. Appropriate punishments were given, and it was all of 7 weeks from report to termination.

I wouldn't say this will blow over, but this should have a relatively short life.

Look...Squirrel!!

I like ice cream.

One other question I have (without looking to place blame): from what we know, is there a clear reason the AD chose the forced resignation versus firing?
Typically the way these things work is that the employee who is being forced out signs documents relinquishing the right to sue the employer in exchange for receiving severance pay. In this specific case it's been reported that Tumpkin received two months severance pay from CU, which equals $34,000 as well as a $29,607 payout for unused vacation time and a $15,692 payment for CU’s appearance in the bowl game.

(Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer and I have no inside information. Just speaking from business experience.)

The shelf life on this story will be pretty short, I'd imagine. Not a lot of meat on the bone, so to speak. MM and RG maybe could have handled the situation a little better, but in the end, they did the right thing. Really, that's the story.

It isn't Mac's job to handle legal matters, he's a damn football coach. I think he did what he could. Doesn't look good but he isn't a ****ing lawyer. I doubt that was in his job description.

Neuhiesel was an attorney. Can't trust 'em when it comes to looking out for the Buffs.

While the publicity sucks, it's hard to think that the actions taken prove to be some sort of existential crisis.

It gives me shivers to think how bad things might have got if Mac decided to get in the middle of a domestic violence dispute and not engage his leadership right away.

Back