What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Spring Practices Thread-2023

Any one receiving athletics based aid for any sport in any amount that plays football automatically becomes a headcounter for football. This is the way.

Walk-On's are allowed to have grants and other academic based aid if it is granted through the normal university application process or by outside, independent organizations (the corn used to use community scholarships to get the big farm kids in as walk-ons, but I think the NCAA tightened the rules around that). I am unaware of any full academic scholarships that CU grants. If an instate kid was a Boettcher scholar, and wished to walk-on for football they could. As an employee, Coach Mathis could also designate his tuition assistance benefit to Caleb and of course because he is a dependent of an employee he gets in-state tuition.
This is how my son was able to get to a D1 school for men's volleyball. Got a massive academic schollies from the school and was a PWO for the team.

Worked his ass off for 3 years that coach granted him an eighth of an athletic scholarship which made his senior year paid for.

Kordell Givin them a history lesson.

Kordell Givin them a history lesson.

LOVE that Kordell dropped the KNOW THE LEDGE on 'em. We aren't what we just were. WE ARE LEGENDARY. We were FEARED.

WE WILL BE AGAIN.

200.gif

This is how my son was able to get to a D1 school for men's volleyball. Got a massive academic schollies from the school and was a PWO for the team.

Worked his ass off for 3 years that coach granted him an eighth of an athletic scholarship which made his senior year paid for.
Football and basketball rules may be slightly different because they are the revenue sports and thus the incentive to cheat is much higher.

Still though I don't think there is any issue with a student attending on an academic scholarship and playing football. In theory they have to be able to prove that the student was and is fully qualified for the academic scholarship without consideration of his athletic ability or contribution.

Random take always from the videos:

Hankerson looks to be RB 1 right now
Shedeur looks incredible accurate (highlights only obviously)
Hunter will have at least 5 TD’s at WR

He’s a PWO and he’s tiny, but his routes are pretty impressive for a walk-on. Kid looks like he’s had far more coaching and route instruction than anyone Chev “coached”
He has a little brother who is going to play at Fairview (I think) this fall. Same story, tiny kid but he runs absolutely amazingly crisp routes, is fast AF, and has some of the best hands I've ever seen on a 16-17 year old. I've watched him play 7v7 this spring a number of times and the kid absolutely dominates everyone who has lined up against him.

Alright, I’m sure this is a dumb question, but what’s the deal with this Kaleb Mathis kid? He’s Coach Mathis’ son I gather but he was one of the first guys to get a jersey number, he’s heavily featured in all the videos coming out of practice but I don’t think we even have a recruiting profile on him. It looks like he was an unrated recruit with a JSU offer. Is he a PWO or on scholarship?
Played at Trinity with Shedeur and Prime. He's been around the block. Same with some of the student trainers. Prime is a loyal dude, and brings greatness with him.

Random take always from the videos:

Hankerson looks to be RB 1 right now
Shedeur looks incredible accurate (highlights only obviously)
Hunter will have at least 5 TD’s at WR
Shedeur looks like he throws an NFL ball. His delivery is quick and he doesn't just hit the open receiver, he often hits the open receiver in the spot that allows the receiver to avoid a hit and get YAC.

Back