What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Steve Sarkisian - former UW/USC HC/ Alabama OC (does CU have the balls to make this hire?)

Checks all the boxes for me, provided he can stay sober. Not sure how our nutty admin and regents would take it, but **** em. We probably have one more hire before the board flips to a majority anti-athletics.

Checks all the boxes for me, provided he can stay sober. Not sure how our nutty admin and regents would take it, but **** em. We probably have one more hire before the board flips to a majority anti-athletics.
Well, we do have a university chancellor with a bit of history with DUIs. Not sure why it would be made into an issue by the folks who approve that position.

Well, we do have a university chancellor with a bit of history with DUIs. Not sure why it would be made into an issue by the folks who approve that position.
This is a good point. So perhaps not within the admin, but I could def see the Regents turning this into a thing. That said I'm sure a few of them will find a reason to pee in anyone's cheerios.

RG, Chev and Sark celebrating on the plane back from College Station.
giphy.gif

It's certainly a risk given his past, but one would have to assume he's been clean for a while; considering the fact that he's been employed at some pretty high profile places the last few years and that those employers would likely have a very low tolerance for any of the stuff that got him fired at USC.
Holy run-on sentence, Batman.

I looked at his résumé and it's wonderful. Many successful people have successfully dealt with their demons. Yes, other recruiters would use his past against him.

Not saying I endorse him, but he's a good candidate.

It's certainly a risk given his past, but one would have to assume he's been clean for a while; considering the fact that he's been employed at some pretty high profile places the last few years and that those employers would likely have a very low tolerance for any of the stuff that got him fired at USC.
Holy run-on sentence, Batman.
Yes. You think Saban needs to tolerate any distractions or bull**** from his offensive coordinator?

Yes. You think Saban needs to tolerate any distractions or bull**** from his offensive coordinator?
counterpoint: Saban would not give a **** if his OC is a functioning alcoholic. If the guy is quiet about it and gets his work done, Saban would be fine. It's when he's drunk on the team plane and being rude to boosters that Saban would have a problem.

Recruiting ranks as HC:

Washington
2009 - #75 (transition class he closed coming off 0-12 season - hired in December)
2010 - #19
2011 - #24
2012 - #24
2013 - #18
2014 - #38 (transition class that Petersen closed - left in December)

USC
2014 - #10 (transition class after Kiffin fired, Ogeron passed over as interim - hired in December)
2015 - #2
2016 - #10 (transition class that Helton took over recruiting in September '15)

Last edited:
counterpoint: Saban would not give a **** if his OC is a functioning alcoholic. If the guy is quiet about it and gets his work done, Saban would be fine. It's when he's drunk on the team plane and being rude to boosters that Saban would have a problem.
Fair. I just don't see Sark as irreplaceable as an OC, and it's not like Saban is used to any continuity with his coaching staff, so I don't know why he would keep him around if that was the case. But, it's all speculation and all we have to go on is the general media consensus that he's clean.

Fair. I just don't see Sark as irreplaceable as an OC, and it's not like Saban is used to any continuity with his coaching staff, so I don't know why he would keep him around if that was the case. But, it's all speculation and all we have to go on is the general media consensus that he's clean.
We can, but obviously there will be a lot more info available to RG & LC.

Recruiting ranks as HC:

Washington
2009 - #75 (transition class coming off 0-12 season)
2010 - #19
2011 - #24
2012 - #24
2013 - #18
2014 - #38 (transition class that Petersen closed)

USC
2014 - #10 (transition class after Kiffin fired, Ogeron passed over as interim)
2015 - #2
2016 - #10 (transition class that Helton took over recruiting in September '15)
I think it's more likely that, had it not been for his alcohol issues, Sark would be considered a top 10 coach in the sport today and USC would likely be a perennial top 5 program. If you agree with that, I don't see how he isn't #1 on everyone's list at the moment.

You guys are talking me into this. Any chance RG and LC are on the same page?

I think it's more likely that, had it not been for his alcohol issues, Sark would be considered a top 10 coach in the sport today and USC would likely be a perennial top 5 program. If you agree with that, I don't see how he isn't #1 on everyone's list at the moment.
Indeed, Sark all the damn way. He checks more boxes than everyone else.

I am totally on board if we go this direction. I think he would be a great fit, and have little concern about the alcohol issues (other than being an easy target for opposing fan bases...but that's our problem :) He has been clean for 5 years, and has continued to be involved in a high stress environment (i.e. around many of his historical triggers). If you know anything about alcohol abuse, being sober for 5 years within that framework indicates that the chances for a relapse are significantly reduced. If you remove the concerns about his alcoholism from the discussion, what's not to like with Sark?

I think his USC tenure indicates he cannot function while drinking.
Actually, I look at it as he had all the success he did in his 30s while drinking and then it went off the rails. He was a high functioning alcoholic until he wasn't.

Now I want to know whether he's back to being a high functioning alcoholic during his time as the OC at the Atlanta Falcons & at Alabama or if he's sober.

But they were there. And unlike with other coaches who have alcohol issues (I don't want to know how many in the profession have substance abuse issues and just how much **** gets swept under the rug), with Sark those issues got to a point where they were impossible to hide as they played out in public and affected his job performance.

Honestly, everybody has their demons. His became very public. If he was a ****ty coach, that would be one thing. All indications are that he’s a pretty good coach and has grown as a human being.

The more I think about it, the more I like this idea.
I’m in.

That's a stretch.

That's a stretch.
He recruited extremely well to Washington and USC and was a pretty good coach that got results at both places. I don't think it's a stretch to suggest he would have been recruiting top 5-7 most years at USC and have them competing for Pac 12 Championships every year and in the conversation for CFP.

Back