What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Tad has to go

Those supporting Boyle, what would it take to change your mind and put him on the hot seat either after this season or in the near future (eg 1-2 years)?

So we are at our ceiling? So what? What makes anybody think we should have a higher ceiling than where we are right now?

Not good enough, time for a change. They should be 10-0, can't lose games like that. Tad is similar to Mac, just can't recruit the guys needed or inspire them enough to take the next step. Mediocrity is not acceptable.

It's never a good sign when a career trajectory looks better in reverse.

I agree. Just as with Mac, Tad has hit the proverbial ceiling. It's time for a change and I'd put money on RG thinking the same thing.
962f926a-3370-492e-abb9-c6620bf97827_text_hi.gif

So we are at our ceiling? So what? What makes anybody think we should have a higher ceiling than where we are right now?
So, play sports to be mediocre? Are you serious? I guess we made a mistake in firing MM then.

If RG isn't demanding the highest level of excellence with our athletic programs then he fails. If we as fans accept the role of mediocre athletics then we have failed. Being average should never be acceptable in athletics.

I can't believe what I'm reading. SMH

It's never a good sign when a career trajectory looks better in reverse.
Exactly. Where's the improvement? I could argue that we've gone backwards. Is that acceptable? In what sporting venue is mediocrity acceptable? In what sporting venue is declining production acceptable?

I hate to say it but, CU has been losing for so long in it's "major" athletic programs that mediocrity seems like a good thing to some. I say no. I say we follow RG and start demanding higher expectations.

So, play sports to be mediocre? Are you serious? I guess we made a mistake in firing MM then.

If RG isn't demanding the highest level of excellence with our athletic programs then he fails. If we as fans accept the role of mediocre athletics then we have failed. Being average should never be acceptable in athletics.

I can't believe what I'm reading. SMH
You seem to think we should have the same standards for our basketball program that we have for our football program. That has literally never been the case at CU. Ever.

I don't think we have hit our ceiling under Tad. I think we've had a down spell that's on its way back up.

How would you guys rank CU Men's Basketball in terms of program prestige/tradition/support/facilities/local recruiting talent?

I'd put us in 11th or 12th, right there with Washington State.

Is there anyone here who rates us higher than that? If so, why? And if you don't see this program for what it actually is, then you can't appreciate Tad.

He does more with less than just about any coach in the nation. With that, he's had us in the post-season and finishing with winning records. With that, he's got a talented mix of guys who could potentially bust through the current ceiling to open up some national recruiting for the program.

You seem to think we should have the same standards for our basketball program that we have for our football program. That has literally never been the case at CU. Ever.
I expect to compete for national championships on a yearly basis in football and basketball. If coaches, RG, you, me, or the fans are not expecting the same then we have already failed.

Why do people constantly bring up a football program that has all the support and history in the world but still manages to routinely embarrass itself while constantly going through coaches as something to compare the basketball program to? When the basketball program gets the support the football program does from both the AD and fans even after 10-15 years of suck, let me know and I'll start setting expectations past where our football program can't seem to achieve. I do know the players deserve better from both the coaches and fans, but they didn't help themselves tonight.

I expect to compete for national championships on a yearly basis in football and basketball. If coaches, RG, you, me, or the fans are not expecting the same then we have already failed.

:ROFLMAO: Then you need to pony up the cash and bag men to make it happen, slappy.

:ROFLMAO: Then you need to pony up the cash and bag men to make it happen, slappy.
So, you don't want to win enough to support the team? Gonna leave me with the tab? All on me, is it? :p

There must be a fundamental change starting from the top that filters down the the bottom. It's going to be very difficult to do that in Boulder, but not impossible.

Why do people constantly bring up a football program that has all the support and history in the world but still manages to routinely embarrass itself while constantly going through coaches as something to compare the basketball program to? When the basketball program gets the support the football program does from both the AD and fans even after 10-15 years of suck, let me know and I'll start setting expectations past where our football program can't seem to achieve. I do know the players deserve better from both the coaches and fans, but they didn't help themselves tonight.
How do you think our team fares in support and money very Indiana St. Noone is expecting Duke here, but man, every year we get new excuses as to why we remain average.

How do you think our team fares in support and money very Indiana St. Noone is expecting Duke here, but man, every year we get new excuses as to why we remain average.

Hmmmmmmmm

I don't think we have hit our ceiling under Tad. I think we've had a down spell that's on its way back up.

How would you guys rank CU Men's Basketball in terms of program prestige/tradition/support/facilities/local recruiting talent?

Is there anyone here who rates us higher than that? If so, why? And if you don't see this program for what it actually is, then you can't appreciate Tad.

He does more with less than just about any coach in the nation. With that, he's had us in the post-season and finishing with winning records. With that, he's got a talented mix of guys who could potentially bust through the current ceiling to open up some national recruiting for the program.

The fact that we even have to acknowledge the bolded is the biggest indictment of this program and the support its gotten from the AD and University as a whole. And by the way, Tad has had considerably more support than Patton ever did while having to face considerably lower competition level in conference than Patton did. Big12 >>>>>>Pac-12, and a lot of years our current conference hasn't been close.

I'd like to look forward to a day where we don't have to say that about a head CU basketball coach.

We shall see how conference plays out (in a pathetic Pac 12), but I think it is fair to start asking questions if this program is going in the right direction.

Tad is an awesome coach, but this downfall the last few years needs to turn around either this year or next.

So, you don't want to win enough to support the team? Gonna leave me with the tab? All on me, is it? :p

There must be a fundamental change starting from the top that filters down the the bottom. It's going to be very difficult to do that in Boulder, but not impossible.
This is part of why Tad is achieving more with less and has been his entire time at CU.

It boils down to the same thing I'd always complained about before Rick George got to CU and started changing the narratives we tell about football. You can't keep cycling through coaches thinking it's just a matter of finding a unicorn like Bill McCartney in order to be good. That's always been the CU way instead of investing in facilities, paying for top assistants or having the organizational support staff the top programs do. Because that stuff costs money. CU fans are the worst I've ever seen for indignantly having caviar tastes on a ramen noodle budget and then not even bothering to show up to support the teams they like to bitch about.

Last edited:

So you expect CU to be in the same class as ????

I am stumped on the number of schools who can realistically have that high expectation in both sports.

What????? To me this perspective is a prayer, combined with a Hail Mary. Other than blind hope, I see no reason to believe CU basketball will ever be relevant again under Boyle. I honestly think he is just going thru the motions similar to MacIntyre.

This is part of why Tad is achieving more with less and has been his entire time at CU.

It boils down to the same thing I'd always complained about before Rick George got to CU and started changing the narratives we tell about football. You can't keep cycling through coaches thinking it's just a matter of finding a unicorn like Bill McCartney in order to be good. That's always been the CU way instead of investing in facilities, paying for top assistants or having the organizational support staff the top programs do. Because that stuff costs money. CU fans are the worst I've ever seen for indignantly having caviar tastes on a ramen noodle budget and then not even bothering to show up to support the teams they like to bitch about.
Well, that's the Boulder conundrum now isn't it. Solve that riddle and we'd be better off, no doubt about it. Perhaps it's a pipe dream of mine to compete for championships on a yearly basis, especially when the Boulder majority couldn't care less.

So, perhaps what's needed first is a change in the mentality in Boulder. I won't hold my breath on that one but I'll keep hope alive.

What is your expectation for this season, next season and what would have to happen for you to reconsider your support of Boyle?

I am stumped on the number of schools who can realistically have that high expectation in both sports.
Did you not understand what I wrote? I'll say it again, I expect to compete for national championships in football and basketball on a yearly basis.

If we are going to shoot for mediocrity then this discussion is moot. If mediocrity is the goal, then we're good. What say you?

Florida with Meyer and Donovan is the only one I can think of. Maybe Michigan in the early 90s?

Did you not understand what I wrote? I'll say it again, I expect to compete for national championships in football and basketball on a yearly basis.

If we are going to shoot for mediocrity then this discussion is moot. If mediocrity is the goal, then we're good. What say you?

I understood exactly what you wrote. I am saying your expectation to annually compete for national championships in both sports is unrealistic.

What????? To me this perspective is a prayer, combined with a Hail Mary. Other than blind hope, I see no reason to believe CU basketball will ever be relevant again under Boyle. I honestly think he is just going thru the motions similar to MacIntyre.
Firing Tad would be like what happened when we fired Barnett. With the limitations the football program had from all sorts of neglect, GB held things together with duct tape and dental floss. Tad is the Barnett of CU MBB. He is not MacIntyre. Bzdelik was like a MacIntyre in terms of impact on the program.

I understood exactly what you wrote. I am saying your expectation to annually compete for national championships in both sports is unrealistic.
Then we have already failed. There is no hope. There is no future for CU football and basketball. Mediocrity is all there is and this forum is irrelevant.

Then we have already failed. There is no hope. There is no future for CU football and basketball. Mediocrity is all there is and this forum is irrelevant.

Give me examples of other schools who have those expectations in both sports.

Your expectation is the loftiest of goals not rooted in reality.

Then each and every athletic department in the country has failed also.

Back