What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The 2020 COVID Coaching Carousel

Frost has to be close to being on the hot seat right?
Not even close. They extended him last year to prove a point and no way they are moving on after this year due to financial unrest. Frost will get the longest leash any Nebraska coach has probably had since WWII. I could possibly see after 2021, but would think 2022 would be more realistic. The only way I see it happening this year is if Frost decides to leave on his own.

Not even close. They extended him last year to prove a point and no way they are moving on after this year due to financial unrest. Frost will get the longest leash any ****braska coach has probably had since WWII. I could possibly see after 2021, but would think 2022 would be more realistic. The only way I see it happening this year is if Frost decides to leave on his own.
Where’s he gonna go and get that sweet paycheck after being terrible every year? That cow is gonna get bled dry.

Where’s he gonna go and get that sweet paycheck after being terrible every year? That cow is gonna get bled dry.
No program is going to poach him. He may decide to leave on his own, which won't happen. Was just throwing it out there as the only reason he leaves after this year.

I think Michigan would give Harbaugh another year but I could absolutely see Harbaugh jumping to the NFL after this year.

Not even close. They extended him last year to prove a point and no way they are moving on after this year due to financial unrest. Frost will get the longest leash any ****braska coach has probably had since WWII. I could possibly see after 2021, but would think 2022 would be more realistic. The only way I see it happening this year is if Frost decides to leave on his own.

I expect him to be coaching there in 2023, and I expect the Karl Dorrell led Buffs to lay a 50 burger on his ass.

If the offense keeps going like this the rest of the way, is there a G5 program out there who would take a chance on Chev after this season?

If I’m a Texas State or Utah State, I might roll the dice on a known recruiter who is establishing himself as a solid offensive coach. Ideally you’d want to see it over the course of a second full season, but maybe try to strike while you can.

Chev has a pretty light resume for a HC job.
If a USC type program offers him an OC gig, he is rightfully gone.

All of this a bit premature. Remember last time, he started out on fire. Then defenses figured him out and seemed to have the plays called before the snap

All of this a bit premature. Remember last time, he started out on fire. Then defenses figured him out and seemed to have the plays called before the snap
Agree.

Where would you rank UCLA and Stanford’s Ds among those CU will play this year?

Frost gets at least five years based on what I’ve read.

Financially, the move to the Big 10 was a wise move, but that program is still very much in a recruiting desert. No ties to the west ever, lost connection to Texas, and can’t really tap recruiting grounds in the rust belt states as well as a half dozen or more of their conference rivals. They keep losing their Florida recruits to the transfer portal. I don’t know what that program has to sell for recruits.
Well, they've locked down South Dakota for recruiting, so they got that goin' for 'em!

They are coming to some ugly realizations.

When they hired Frost their previous years of futility were all because the had "the wrong coach", the "wrong person running the program" and they just needed to get "back to the ****braska way" to return to their place among the elite programs.

Money and support aren't a problem, if the players were wearing ****er football jerseys they could sell out a badminton match against a directional school. They have B1G media dollars and monopolize endorsement money in their state and even some surrounding areas. They probably make more money every year selling the right to be "the official _________ of the ****ers." than MWC teams make off their TV contracts.

What is a problem is that they are no longer an elite program. Recruits don't want to go there and the ones who go don't want to stay. They used to be able go into Texas and California and scoop up handfuls of elite players. Those players would come because they knew that they were going to be on national TV almost every week, they were going to go to a top end bowl game, and they were going to have the attention of the NFL in the process.

Now they are a bottom end team in their conference and the kids from warm weather states don't want to spend four years in the US version of Siberia getting their butts kicked every year by some team from the MAC or the Sun Belt and hoping to get an invitation to the famous potatoes bowl in Boise.

They have money but it would be hard to explain paying him the $35 million they still owe him since extending his deal last year to not coach.

Worse they would then have to find another coach and recent searches have shown that the top candidates just don't want to go there. Unless they can find someone like Frost with deep ties to the program they will end up overpaying for someone who is a 4th or 5th choice at best.

And that would also mean again having to face the fact that their losing isn't because they have deviated from the formula and the culture, it is because they suck and the glory days aren't coming back.

As painful as it will be for them, and as fun as it will be for everyone else, he is probably there at least a couple more years. They give him this year as a wash (how could he do anything with Covid?) and next year they manage to win one game against some mid-level B1G program and keep another game relatively close giving them hope.

And at this point hope is all they have left.
They refuse to admit their "Glory Days' were built on a window in NCAA rules: 200 kids on the squad (County Schollies and full JV team with separate schdule to develop the "O"), their OL/DL "roided up" and all skill positions wer manned by "Prop 45" East and West Coast criminal elements whose academic and "moral shortcomings" were covered up (Dr. Tom had a bigger Evidence Locker than the Lincoln PD)!

Zero chance he leaves CU laterally.

They refuse to admit their "Glory Days' were built on a window in NCAA rules: 200 kids on the squad (County Schollies and full JV team with separate schdule to develop the "O"), their OL/DL "roided up" and all skill positions wer manned by "Prop 45" East and West Coast criminal elements whose academic and "moral shortcomings" were covered up (Dr. Tom had a bigger Evidence Locker than the Lincoln PD)!
All true.

At the same time they also built most of those "winning seasons" on playing four OOC games in Stinkoln against paid scout teams. If they could have scheduled high school teams or a team of nuns they would have. Many of those "wins" were against schools that are now FCS or don't even have a team anymore.

Then they played in the old Big 8/12 They had a guaranteed win every year against Kansas, against pre-Snyder KSU, against Iowa State, and usually against pre-T. Boone Okie Lite.

Now they don't have all the advantages you listed and their conference schedule is kicking their butts. After losing to a bunch of G5 schools they have even lost that swagger against their OOC competition (even if the fans don't believe it.)

They are no longer a name school among recruits, especially in California and Texas, kids don't get excited about a fusker offer and the ones who come quickly try to figure out a way to leave.

USC (just an example) isn’t lateral.

I think he wants to be a HC really bad. And that would speed up the process
There are going to be a lot of coaches who get an extra year they don't deserve because of the pandemic (Kelly and Sumlin are two examples). Not going to be a lot of movement. Could see changes at Tennessee and Michigan........maybe Texas opens if they collapse down the stretch?

Chev's here through at least the end of next year IMO.

Back