What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The Basketball Tournament 2019 - Team Colorado is Back

Does it make me a purist that I believe that what you score is what you score, that the game is a certain length, and that getting smoked in the first half should require you to smoke the opponent even more in the 2nd half if you want to win?

It makes you an old cranky man.

I'm with River. Gets rid of some of the free throw BS while increasing the tension. I'm still not ready for it to be THE ending to games, but I'm definitely intrigued.

I love the Elam Ending for things such as this. I agree that I don't necessarily want it used in NCAA or NBA games, but offseason tournaments, it's cool. It makes the end of games rather fun; very reminiscent of playing to 11 or whatever in pickup.

Does it make me a purist that I believe that what you score is what you score, that the game is a certain length, and that getting smoked in the first half should require you to smoke the opponent even more in the 2nd half if you want to win?

To your last point, doesn't the Elam Ending better serve that purpose? Your goal in the Elam Ending is to have the biggest possible lead at 4:00 to go so that it's very difficult for your opponent to come back. Your goal with the traditional ending is to have one more point than your opponent at 0:00. Seems to me that the incentive to keep scoring is higher in an EE game than traditional where teams start milking clock with 10 minutes or more to play.

Last edited:
I would prefer a limit of one timeout in the last two minutes of the game per team to the Elam Ending. When a foul is called, the teams have 10 seconds to get into position for the free throw. If either team is late, they lose their one time out. If they have no timeouts, they lose their next possession of the ball. Player substitution is limited to foul outs and injuries. If a player is injured, the team lose their next possession.

Make this more like a last two minutes of a hockey game.

It makes you an old cranky man.

I'm with River. Gets rid of some of the free throw BS while increasing the tension. I'm still not ready for it to be THE ending to games, but I'm definitely intrigued.
mylawnlarge2.jpg

How do people like the 'Elam Ending'? Keeps the leading team from stalling and has made several games a lot closer. Not sure I'd like to see it in the NCAA though

I hated it at first. I'm coming around on it. It's not without flaws, but I think I like it more each time I watch it.

I had never heard of the "Elam Ending" and you jokers throw it around like it is common knowledge. For anyone else as confused as I was:

How it works: At the first dead-ball whistle after the time goes below four minutes in the final quarter, the clock gets turned off. At that point, a target score is set, equaling the leading team’s point total plus seven. Then, the first team to hit that target score wins.

So, if my team is up by 10 when the Elam Ending activates, I need to score seven points before my opponent scores 17. It’s still an uphill climb for the trailing team, but it eliminates the parade of intentional fouls that can make the end of games interminable free-throw contests.

I'm all for this and avoiding the last 2 minutes of a game dragging out to 20 minutes of real life time with the intentional fouls.

Last edited:
The Elam ending would mean you would never see your second tier and walk-ons ever get into the game because it has no defined time. You can't just put them in their with 2 minutes to go up by 20 to let them play because if they don't score the game keeps going. A smart coach would play his top line all the way to the finish to ensure a quicker ending to the game.

Monkeying with the rules of the game to produce better TV is the dumbest thing in all sports. The game has always been played through a defined time limit. The only time you played to a score was in a pickup game where there is no clock. You want to eliminate fouling at the end? Why? Why create a special rule for the end of the game? Like it or not, free throws are an important part of the game of basketball.

The Elam ending would mean you would never see your second tier and walk-ons ever get into the game because it has no defined time. You can't just put them in their with 2 minutes to go up by 20 to let them play because if they don't score the game keeps going. A smart coach would play his top line all the way to the finish to ensure a quicker ending to the game.

Monkeying with the rules of the game to produce better TV is the dumbest thing in all sports. The game has always been played through a defined time limit. The only time you played to a score was in a pickup game where there is no clock. You want to eliminate fouling at the end? Why? Why create a special rule for the end of the game? Like it or not, free throws are an important part of the game of basketball.

Wouldn't it be better for the game and for the audience to watch the top line players decide the game down the stretch? Your bench / role players should get plenty of run in the first 3.5 quarters. People understand that FT shooting is part of the game, an important part, however a lot of people hate how the last 1:30 of a basketball game can take 45 minutes.

My favorite sport to play, and also to watch sometimes, is tennis. "It ain't over til it's over.". The goal is the winning score, not who's ahead at the end of a time limit that's altered by different circumstances, e.g., fouling, time outs, 'flopping', etc.

You could be down 1 set, 0-5, in a best of three set match and still have a chance to win. There's no change in strategy or play, like fouling, except to maybe alter attack. Even in the tie-breaker, 'regular' play is still done.

There's been lessons learned through that 'strategy' from tennis that have worked in my (startup) career.

Totally agree.

For those who don't, I wonder how you'd feel about the Elam Ending being used for football.

That said, I agree with the issues that this gimmick attempts to address. There are better ways to handle it, though. For one, get rid of the 1-and-1 in college basketball. Next, make it so that if you foul while the clock is stopped there is a 5 second run-off. Last, bring back the closely guarded turnover because this will impact defensive strategy to focus more on trapping & less on fouling. I'm sure there are additional things that can be done within the game without changing the nature of the game like the Elam Ending does. I want to see that happen. But don't **** with the basics of it being a 40 minute game with the simple goal of scoring more than your opponent within that allotted time. The simplicity of that and other aspects of the sport is a big part of what makes the game so accessible and popular for so many people.

One of the worst rule changes in recent memory.
Exactly. Did anyone really think that virtually eliminating pressing and trapping from the college game while encouraging a **** ton more ball stopping iso offense was a good thing? Like, is there someone in a position of authority who thought that was a good direction for the college game?

Ohio St/Marquette final. Buffs lost to a finalist. Ohio St beat Overseas Elite to get there, and O.E. has won it 2 or 3 times.

Ohio St/Marquette final. Buffs lost to a finalist. Ohio St beat Overseas Elite to get there, and O.E. has won it 2 or 3 times.
O.E. has won the tournament 4 times. They are now 29-1 in TBT play.

Last edited:
Back