What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The best part?

I think it's hilarious that folks look down on Utah.
I think it’s hilarious that folks look up to Utah.
I think both of you are right. Utah has averaged 7.75 wins/year since joining the Pac 12 with one 10 win season. They are 6-2 vs CU over that time, but only the last two meetings have been decided by more than one score, and I think we all know why.

CU should never look down on Utah, but we should also never view them as a no hoper type of matchup or some model program we look up to.

Utes are pretty obviously the most "logical" rival option.

There was something brewing with ASU, I felt like, before Graham left. A possibility here, their rivalry with UofA doesnt seem nearly as heated as other rivalries.

There is a little frustration built up with UofA because of hoops. A possibility here.

Everyone in this conference hates USC. They will never be our rival. They already have a rivalry with UCLA, Stanford, Cal (sort of), and ND.

UCLA could be a rival I suppose, our games lately have been tight, and really chippy. We will never unseat USC in their minds.

I hate USC. I loath UA (basketball). I dislike everyone else. But that's my default. Except LSU. Always liked that program.

I think the most vital thing for a rivalry is how much both sides would care about bragging rights.

That's why I see NU and CSU as rivals. Those games matter more because the bragging rights matter.

We're so far geographically removed from the rest of the Pac-12 that it's hard to get there other than for fans & alums living in other states where they're in enemy territory.

I can somewhat see Utah getting there -- particularly if CU ups its game in a big way to get a lot more fans on the Western Slope. And we do fight it out in other sports where it has gotten kind of heated.

I don't see a path to rivalry for any of the others in the Pac-12. More of a situation where we have our reasons to dislike everyone and it's a big game with whomever in years when it's a big game nationally because we're both ranked and/or something's on the line. But getting to the point where bragging rights matter a lot every year regardless of record? Nah.

I think it’s hilarious that folks look up to Utah.

Perhaps you don't recall the year when the Utes were undefeated in the regular season for the entire season (including bowl season) but were shut out of what was then the BCS? And that wasn't the first time.

Here

And here

I think the most vital thing for a rivalry is how much both sides would care about bragging rights.

That's why I see NU and CSU as rivals. Those games matter more because the bragging rights matter.

We're so far geographically removed from the rest of the Pac-12 that it's hard to get there other than for fans & alums living in other states where they're in enemy territory.

I can somewhat see Utah getting there -- particularly if CU ups its game in a big way to get a lot more fans on the Western Slope. And we do fight it out in other sports where it has gotten kind of heated.

I don't see a path to rivalry for any of the others in the Pac-12. More of a situation where we have our reasons to dislike everyone and it's a big game with whomever in years when it's a big game nationally because we're both ranked and/or something's on the line. But getting to the point where bragging rights matter a lot every year regardless of record? Nah.

Really need some kind of big controversy to occur. Some fans need to run up the hill and paint their "U" black or gold. Steal the U.S.S. Utah bell from campus. Put sugar in the gas tank of Swoop's motorcycle.

Really need some kind of big controversy to occur. Some fans need to run up the hill and paint their "U" black or gold. Steal the U.S.S. Utah bell from campus. Put sugar in the gas tank of Swoop's motorcycle.
that **** just doesn't happen anymore.

Perhaps you don't recall the year when the Utes were undefeated in the regular season for the entire season (including bowl season) but were shut out of what was then the BCS? And that wasn't the first time.

Here

And here

Pre-Pac 12. In that case, perhaps you don’t recall these:

1568083312428.jpeg

1568083364619.jpeg

I was talking with some Nub fans right after they joined the Big 10. They roundly rejected the idea that Iowa would be their rival and claimed that their rivals were going to be Ohio State and Michigan. I laughed, because it was so ludicrous and was such an obvious sign of their arrogance.

Some of you guys are sounding like those Nub fans, though. USC, Oregon, and Washington are going to be our rivals? Why would they care more about us than any other conference foe? In case you didn't notice, they have multiple other rivalries that will always matter more than us.

Utah has outperformed us regularly in football since we joined the conference. I believe they have a winning record against us in basketball, too. We have no reason to look down on them.

Give me a break.

Utah has every reason to look down on CU, not the other way around based on everything since we both joined the Pac-12 and what they had been accomplishing before joining the conference. But they have to become a consistent top 10 team before being worthy? That's laughable. In fact, please try to name five P5 programs that have been worse than CU over the past 15 years. It's not gonna be easy to come up with that list.

What McCartney did was a unicorn. It wasn't a blueprint. If it was a blueprint, we'd have been hearing about other rivalries like Wake Forest vs Florida State and Indiana vs Ohio State these past 2-3 decades.
EVERY team in the big 8 could look down on CU after the Fairbanks era. During fairbanks years and first few years of McCartney CU was one of the 10 worst teams in all of college football (in six years CU went 14-51-1, a better way to frame it is that they averaged going 2-9 in that span). Think Embree bad and every bit as inept.

Coach McCartney didn't care and chose the best team in conference and one of the best in all of college football to hate. To say what he did isn't a blueprint is to not understand how aspirations, belief and the will to work towards them impact reality. The reason others don't follow McCartney's blueprint is because they lack the belief and the ability to make others believe what they believe....no disrespect but this is kind of like you..instead you want to pick a decent college program as a rival.

Listen to the players talk about speaking things into existence now. There is a reason they talk like that. His name is Mel Tucker. He has the ability to make people believe when they otherwise wouldn't. Utah is not worthy of trying to make a rival of...instead pick a team, that when you beat them, it means you've arrived. This means pick USC, Oregon or Washington. Oh and don't tell me they already have rivals as NU had OU.

Imagine what CU wouldn't have been if McCartney had shared your viewpoint and picked kansas state, oklahoma state or kansas as a rival.

EVERY team in the big 8 could look down on CU after the Fairbanks era. During fairbanks years and first few years of McCartney CU was one of the 10 worst teams in all of college football (in six years CU went 14-51-1, a better way to frame it is that they averaged going 2-9 in that span). Think Embree bad and every bit as inept.

Coach McCartney didn't care and chose the best team in conference and one of the best in all of college football to hate. To say what he did isn't a blueprint is to not understand how aspirations, belief and the will to work towards them impact reality. The reason others don't follow McCartney's blueprint is because they lack the belief and the ability to make others believe what they believe....no disrespect but this is kind of like you..instead you want to pick a decent college program as a rival.

Listen to the players talk about speaking things into existence now. There is a reason they talk like that. His name is Mel Tucker. He has the ability to make people believe when they otherwise wouldn't. Utah is not worthy of trying to make a rival of...instead pick a team, that when you beat them, it means you've arrived. This means pick USC, Oregon or Washington. Oh and don't tell me they already have rivals as NU had OU.

Imagine what CU wouldn't have been if McCartney had shared your viewpoint and picked kansas state, oklahoma state or kansas as a rival.
If you want to go that direction, the only program worth mentioning is USC.

Part of how NU became the rivsl was because of McCartney calling them out.

But a larger part of it was the fact that the game mattered and championships were decided every time we played each other for 20+ years.

It wasn't always the case that "winner wins the conference" (although that was very frequently true), but at least one team could lose the conference championship every single time we played.

Rivalries happen when teams take something away from each other. I guarantee that if we cost USC five or six championships over the course of a decade, and they cost us four or five championships over that same time frame - it will be a rivalry.

If we get good again, I just don't see any other team in the P12 south standing in our way as much as USC is likely to. I also don't see them having as much trouble with any other P12 school as they will have with a truly resurgent Colorado team.

I don't think we'll need a coach to call it out, but if we get back to where we want to be, a rivalry will develop naturally.

Seems once CU is doing their part as in winning, the PAC will hate CU fans with zeal because Buff fans will encourage it. Of course this might all be BS because I don't think people in the PAC give much of rats ass compared to everyother confrence about football. Once CU is winning the south and confrence championship in the next few years I think we'll find rivals. Maybe SC has room for one more they don't seem to mind and they are in the south

The only call I questioned was the lack of a hold on the tight end on Washington’s around the end run. That tight end held his man in an open and obvious way

Back