What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

THE BIG 16 in the Athletic

1. Geographic sense is completely pointless in terms of this discussion based on how ****ed everything would be.
2. Arizona and Arizona state are part of the issue in the pac 12 in terms of engagement and increasing revenue so no they aren’t really attractive to a conference that is currently paying out more per member.
3. Basketball is sort of irrelevant in this conversation.

The big 3 are usc, Washington and Oregon. Then you have to pick three out of asu/Arizona, Utah, Colorado, UCLA and possibly cal although they don’t appear to be a very attractive option at the moment.
Geographic sense is not pointless, nor is basketball irrelevant. Several Big XII schools try to pull in AZ athletes. Strengthening ties to that recruiting and giving some semblance of geographic continuity for whatever PAC schools might make a jump are not worthless endeavors. And engagement issues? AZ has the highest basketball attendance/ engagement/ TV audience in the conference, no?

Geographic sense is not pointless, nor is basketball irrelevant. Several Big XII schools try to pull in AZ athletes. Strengthening ties to that recruiting and giving some semblance of geographic continuity for whatever PAC schools might make a jump are not worthless endeavors. And engagement issues? AZ has the highest basketball attendance/ engagement/ TV audience in the conference, no?
Yes it is completely pointless, you are talking about a conference with West Virginia and a team in Iowa trying to lure 3 west coast teams. They clearly don’t care about teams fitting in geographically.

Sacrificing revenue to take over what is an average recruiting area is not something they are contemplating. Basketball is a secondary qualification that is probably about 5% of the convo.

Again. Arizona has a good basketball program but no one really cares about that. They have terrible football support and engagement so that doesn’t just go away because they won a National championship more than 20 years ago in a secondary sport.

If you're the B1G, why not trying to get to 16 now via CU and Iowa State?
I don't think ISU helps the B1G. Their last adds were about expanding coverage for their network, and they already have Iowa. I could see the B1G potentially being interested in CU, but I don't know who might be brought in along with us.

Yes it is completely pointless, you are talking about a conference with West Virginia and a team in Iowa trying to lure 3 west coast teams. They clearly don’t care about teams fitting in geographically.

Sacrificing revenue to take over what is an average recruiting area is not something they are contemplating. Basketball is a secondary qualification that is probably about 5% of the convo.

Again. Arizona has a good basketball program but no one really cares about that. They have terrible football support and engagement so that doesn’t just go away because they won a National championship more than 20 years ago in a secondary sport.
So agree to disagree. I'm really not following what you're pissy about anyways. The article said "USC, UCLA, Oregon and Washington fit that description. Arizona and Arizona State, meanwhile, are a geographic fit for the league in a fast-growing state that could make the territory valuable for football recruiting and for brand purposes."

It's clearly thinking the same thing as you about who the power players are and who just has enough good qualities to merit consideration.

The only thing CU has going for it in a scenario where the Pac 12 dissolves (instead of the Big 12) is the Denver market that is growing rapidly. If the Big 12 wasn't interested in bringing CU back, would have to hope the BIG would want to expand West.

One frustrating thing for CU is that while, in theory, adding CU should give you the Denver market, the Front Range is so chock full of transplants (and natives that go school out of state and return) that the Big XII and Big 10- and the SEC for that matter- probably capture a lot of eyeballs in the Colorado market, regardless of whether CU is in that league or not...

I've got no numbers here, but CFB isn't like the NFL or other leagues were only "local" games are on... SEC/Big 10/Big XII games are already on all the carriers in Colorado. Adding CU would probably marginally bump interest (though local alums of visiting schools may like a "away" game close to their house). Just spitballing, but it sucks that CU feels like it doesn't dominate interest in its home state. You don't need a team in the mountain western region in your league to allow your mountain western alumni to tune in...

One frustrating thing for CU is that while, in theory, adding CU should give you the Denver market, the Front Range is so chock full of transplants (and natives that go school out of state and return) that the Big XII and Big 10- and the SEC for that matter- probably capture a lot of eyeballs in the Colorado market, regardless of whether CU is in that league or not...

I've got no numbers here, but CFB isn't like the NFL or other leagues were only "local" games are on... SEC/Big 10/Big XII games are already on all the carriers in Colorado. Adding CU would probably marginally bump interest (though local alums of visiting schools may like a "away" game close to their house). Just spitballing, but it sucks that CU feels like it doesn't dominate interest in its home state. You don't need a team in the mountain western region in your league to allow your mountain western alumni to tune in...
It definitely wouldn’t be marginally, you are adding a big school with a large alumni base, but yes the impact probably isn’t as big as it would seem. It’s why market size doesn’t matter nearly as much as it did before and another reason why the pac is struggling even though it has the markets to compete nationally.

It might help us that many Big XII alumni are here. I would think that our old affiliation with the Big XII would help.. but I don't know, perhaps there's hard feelings. From a purely financial perspective, I somewhat doubt CU is in the top 6 on the list, certainly not in the top 4. I also feel like we're an institution that would certainly end up somewhere reasonable, perhaps the B1G.

What I will say is that the big 12 clearly lost a lot of ground in Denver when Colorado and Nebraska left. Outside of the Pac 12, this is clearly a big 10 city now. It’s almost hard to find a bar on a Saturday that isn’t throwing a watch party for Ohio state, Iowa, Michigan state, Michigan or Wisconsin. Probably more of a case about where people that live here come from but I was pretty shocked to see how it all unfolded.

I don't think ISU helps the B1G. Their last adds were about expanding coverage for their network, and they already have Iowa. I could see the B1G potentially being interested in CU, but I don't know who might be brought in along with us.

I suppose you could take Utah, but I'd wonder if that would be too much travel for non-revenue sports in both directions (A&M said the same thing when they were a candidate for Sir Lawrence's Pac 16). The B1G is running out of markets honestly. Denver's the only one they could add while not making themselves anymore of a geographic cluster**** than they already are.

What I will say is that the big 12 clearly lost a lot of ground in Denver when Colorado and ****braska left. Outside of the Pac 12, this is clearly a big 10 city now. It’s almost hard to find a bar on a Saturday that isn’t throwing a watch party for Ohio state, Iowa, Michigan state, Michigan or Wisconsin. Probably more of a case about where people that live here come from but I was pretty shocked to see how it all unfolded.
I think that's reflective of how many alums the B1G schools pump out each year. Those are a lot of massive state universities, and Denver of course is a very attractive new home that many move to.

From a purely fan standpoint, not sure where I'd rather go in this hypothetical - new Big XII/ 16 with several PAC members + rejoining several old Big 8 foes, or join the B1G, with better academics, better money (probably), and one team I really care about followed by a bunch that average out to "meh".

I suppose you could take Utah, but I'd wonder if that would be too much travel for non-revenue sports in both directions (A&M said the same thing when they were a candidate for Sir Lawrence's Pac 16). The B1G is running out of markets honestly. Denver's the only one they could add while not making themselves anymore of a geographic cluster**** than they already are.
The big 10 can poach plenty of teams like Mizzou, West Virginia, Georgia tech, North Carolina, Virginia and Colorado.

I think that's reflective of how many alums the B1G schools pump out each year. Those are a lot of massive state universities, and Denver of course is a very attractive new home that many move to.

From a purely fan standpoint, not sure where I'd rather go in this hypothetical - new Big XII/ 16 with several PAC members + rejoining several old Big 8 foes, or join the B1G, with better academics, better money (probably), and one team I really care about followed by a bunch that average out to "meh".
I think there are three paths 1. And the most preferable is for the pac 12 to add Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma state and whatever other one. That keeps the conference core together, adds revenue and helps us with our alumni base on the west coast and in Texas. 2. The big 10 wants to jump west which would suck for the actual university and where the students come from but would be a huge cash influx for the athletic department which would definitely need it without having direct access to Texas and California in recruiting. 3. West Virginia and Kansas go to the acc and big 10 which opens up 8 spots in the big 12 for usc, UCLA, Washington, Oregon, Utah, Colorado, arizona State and cal. Texas will maintain the unequal revenue sharing and we have just traded dead weight in the pac 12 for ****tier dead weight in the big 12.

Mostly reflective of losing the two largest college fan bases in Colorado at once. But yeah it just seems like the mid west flocks here.

I think there are three paths 1. And the most preferable is for the pac 12 to add Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma state and whatever other one. That keeps the conference core together, adds revenue and helps us with our alumni base on the west coast and in Texas.
I agree that's the best solution from a PAC-centric viewpoint, I just don't believe it's even remotely possible now. Now the Big XII is negotiating from a place of strength, and the PAC from one of the exact opposite.

They'd never take WVU. Mizzou would trip over themselves accepting an invite though.
Obviously agree on WVU.

Not sure I do on Mizzou - they'd be as awkward in the B1G as they are in the SEC.

UVA would likely jump, and that'd cement the B1G's position in the mid Atlantic.

KU definitely would jump too. Don't add much on the football field, but in addition to adding a lot in basketball, they're just about a perfect fit in every other way.

Obviously agree on WVU.

Not sure I do on Mizzou - they'd be as awkward in the B1G as they are in the SEC.

UVA would likely jump, and that'd cement the B1G's position in the mid Atlantic.

KU definitely would jump too. Don't add much on the football field, but in addition to adding a lot in basketball, they're just about a perfect fit in every other way.
Internet wisdom (FWIW) has always held that Mizzou has long coveted membership in the B1G. I think they'd still jump, and would fit in better there, with their natural rival in Illinois and rejoining semi-rival Nebraska.

I agree that's the best solution from a PAC-centric viewpoint, I just don't believe it's even remotely possible now. Now the Big XII is negotiating from a place of strength, and the PAC from one of the exact opposite.
THe big 12 isn’t negotiating from a position of strength though. They are where the they are right now because they only have 10 mouths to feed but adding any team outside now of usc won’t raise the bar for them. Oregon and Washington will keep them right where they are.

And let’s just be honest here, USC isn’t going to the big 12. They want to go Indy to be like their main rival and aren’t going to ditch their long term rivals in California and on the west coast to go join a bunch of teams in Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas and Iowa. This isn’t a rumor or anything it is a writer trying to generate clicks in the dead of the offseason. Usc fans and alumni don’t want to join the big 12 for an extra 6 million a year they want to leave conferences as a whole because they are cocky usc ****s.

They bring the Big 10 nothing in terms of academics or revenue.
Academics no, but they are fourth in the big 12 in tier three the revenue behind Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas so they obviously do bring good revenue to the table.

THe big 12 isn’t negotiating from a position of strength though. They are where the they are right now because they only have 10 mouths to feed but adding any team outside now of usc won’t raise the bar for them. Oregon and Washington will keep them right where they are.

And let’s just be honest here, USC isn’t going to the big 12. They want to go Indy to be like their main rival and aren’t going to ditch their long term rivals in California and on the west coast to go join a bunch of teams in Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas and Iowa. This isn’t a rumor or anything it is a writer trying to generate clicks in the dead of the offseason. Usc fans and alumni don’t want to join the big 12 for an extra 6 million a year they want to leave conferences as a whole because they are cocky usc ****s.
Financially, they're still negotiating from relative strength. They earn more per school than the PAC does, and the per-school payouts are what matters. USC, UCLA and some combo of others likely raises the money for everyone, especially if whatever primary media partner greatly divests from what remains of the PAC. Where the additions bring the overall new sum to only break-even for Big XII schools, none of us know.

To be clear, I don't think anything is going to happen. I think USC is trying to apply some serious heat to Scott and other PAC members to figure **** out (get a better media deal, or give USC a bigger piece of the marginally better pie whenever we renegotiate).

Well that was a rather silly reason to excuse yourself from reading a decent article. AZ is a very attractive option for the Big XII, and is regularly discussed in Big XII circles. It's a large school, many alumni, new market, great basketball tradition, makes geographic sense if you're bringing in USC, strong-ish academics/ AAU.
I thought this was in reference to football. I will go back and read it then.

Financially, they're still negotiating from relative strength. They earn more per school than the PAC does, and the per-school payouts are what matters. USC, UCLA and some combo of others likely raises the money for everyone, especially if whatever primary media partner greatly divests from what remains of the PAC. Where the additions bring the overall new sum to only break-even for Big XII schools, none of us know.

To be clear, I don't think anything is going to happen. I think USC is trying to apply some serious heat to Scott and other PAC members to figure **** out (get a better media deal, or give USC a bigger piece of the marginally better pie whenever we renegotiate).
You do sort of know what these teams bring though, they are getting paid their market rate. The pac 12 schools don’t generate enough fan interest to get directv so clearly something is off. Pac school were paid something like 6 million less than big 12 schools in 2018 (I took out the pac 12 nets distribution). So to think that any school outside of usc would be able to make up that gap and then some because they are paying more school so is laughable.

The networks showed in the last round of realignment and even a couple of years ago that they will pay the big 12 the same for 10 or 12 teams so adding pac 12 schools that struggle with attendance, ratings, apathy, engagement, etc. is not going to move the needle and most definitely not going to push usc out of all of their in state and regional rivalries just for an extra 5 million a year.

You do sort of know what these teams bring though, they are getting paid their market rate. The pac 12 schools don’t generate enough fan interest to get directv so clearly something is off. Pac school were paid something like 6 million less than big 12 schools in 2018 (I took out the pac 12 nets distribution). So to think that any school outside of usc would be able to make up that gap and then some because they are paying more school so is laughable.

The networks showed in the last round of realignment and even a couple of years ago that they will pay the big 12 the same for 10 or 12 teams so adding pac 12 schools that struggle with attendance, ratings, apathy, engagement, etc. is not going to move the needle and most definitely not going to push usc out of all of their in state and regional rivalries just for an extra 5 million a year.
I mean I think we essentially agree. USC would give the Big XII a bump. I'm not sure where the point of diminishing returns comes in after that.

Another thing I don’t understand, how does Oklahoman make any money in third tier football revenue? All of their games were on national networks oUtside of South Dakota.

Back